Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
BrentB
Connoisseur
BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Voyage - Cover sizes using Calibre sideloading

Got my new Voyage, and it is able to communicate with Calibre and sideloading works fine. However, AZW3 covers are about 2/3 the size of Mobi covers when shown in cover view. I do not have any "tags" in the metadata as I believe this used to cause a problem with covers a while ago, so I always delete them. Anyone know of any reason or fixes? I know it's WAY early with this device.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
BrentB
Connoisseur
BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

OK, I've had some MOBI files show up with small covers on the cover view now as well. So, it must not be a MOBI vs. AZW3 issue.
Advert
Old 10-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
Got my new Voyage, and it is able to communicate with Calibre and sideloading works fine. However, AZW3 covers are about 2/3 the size of Mobi covers when shown in cover view. I do not have any "tags" in the metadata as I believe this used to cause a problem with covers a while ago, so I always delete them. Anyone know of any reason or fixes? I know it's WAY early with this device.
I won't be getting my Voyage until Halloween so can't try this. But did you go to metadata in Calibre and delete the old cover and try to download a new cover? I would also try going to Amazon or any place that sells the book and in the browser copying the cover graphic and downloading it as a file and then using Calibre to browse to that file and use it as the cover. Good luck!!!!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The latest version of calibre (v2.7.0) has a fix for this.

The Voyage has a higher resolution and needs bigger thumbnails; calibre now uses a higher max height in the Kindle driver.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-26-2014 at 12:42 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
BrentB
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The latest version of calibre (v2.7.0) has a fix for this.

The Voyage has a higher resolution and needs bigger thumbnails; calibre now uses a higher max height in the Kindle driver.
And it works great with the Voyage now!
Advert
Old 08-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Hello,

I'm running OS X 10.6.8 and Calibre 1.48.
If I understand well, it's the most recent version of Calibre I can use.

I would like to know if there is a way to generate a bigger thumbnail for the covers, for my Kindle Voyage.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Pyjam; 08-28-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:06 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes -- see the sticky: Why can't I install the latest calibre on Windows XP?
See option #3

It is technically just as applicable to people running outdated OSX (less people running it) or linux (even less people, plus you have to want to not update your OS), but both are far less common than Windows XP which is why WinXP was singled out.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #8
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Thank you for you answer. Perhaps, I haven't understood but your answer doesn't help me.

Is there a way to generate bigger thumbnails (for my Kindle Voyage) with my configuration or not? Maybe with a plugin?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyjam View Post
Thank you for you answer. Perhaps, I haven't understood but your answer doesn't help me.

Is there a way to generate bigger thumbnails (for my Kindle Voyage) with my configuration or not? Maybe with a plugin?
Is there any reason you cannot update your OS X?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #10
Pyjam
Zealot

Send me 2000€ and I'll update my computer. Thank you for your help.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Send me 2000€ and I'll update my computer. Thank you for your help.
It does not cost €2000 to update OS X. OS X 10.10 Yosemite is FREE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #12
Pyjam
Zealot

Are you 12 years old?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:34 PM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Are you 12 years old?
Moderator Notice
If you have something useful to say then say it instead of resorting to ad hominem arguments. For example you might mention that you are stuck on a PowerPC Mac and cannot upgrade, or whatever your situation might be.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #14
Pyjam
Zealot

I have no reason to answer to JSWolf's. His reply was off-topic.

My question is: is there a mean to generate bigger thumbnails with Calibre 1.48 ?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:

Then allow me to clarify.

The later versions of calibre automatically generate bigger thumbnails. That sticky is a list of ways to get later versions of calibre (or the effects therof) when officially you can only run 1.48

Specifically, option #3 directs you to my backports branch, which includes the KV cover thumbnails fix. :thumbsup.
You must know how to run from source, as described there. I am hesitant to do too much handholding, since it is best if people who do unsupported things understand what they are doing in case "things" happen but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

@JSWolf, thank you for your help please note that my sticky (targeted at Windows computers) already references the possibility of and dissatisfaction in upgrading the OS or hardware, covering all the possibilities in a friendly way meant to avoid ruffled feelings.
Specifically, Windows doesn't support older hardware... and neither does OSX. There are valid reasons, which is why I specifically laid out the options in that sticky, and leave it to the user to decide if they want to do that.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-30-2015 at 04:49 PM.