Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #181
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
The Trouble with Demons contains the first five books in the Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom series by Julie Kenner:
  • Carpe Demon
  • California Demon
  • Demons Are Forever
  • Deja Demon
  • Demon Ex Machina
It appears to be a self-pub, but I've read the first two in this series and found them quite fun, so I'm listing it anyway, under the "I've personally read it and enjoyed it self-pub exemption" used on some other threads <g>. The title pretty much tells you what the series is about, and I got a good giggle from one of the quotes in the blurb about the omnibus:

“[S]hows you what would happen if Buffy got married and kept her past a secret. It’s a hoot.”—Charlaine Harris, New York Times bestselling author

The author, Julie Kenner, has some other non-self-pubbed series under the name J. Kenner, and is (according to her website) a RITA award nominee and winner for some of her other books.

The Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom series is a long way from my typical addiction to murder mysteries, but a friend recommended the first one, and then I bought the second one, and now I'm going to buy the omnibus, which contains the first five books, and enjoy the next three sometime when I need a laugh. This omnibus is $4.99 and couponable at Kobo US, at least:

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebo...-with-demons-4

Spoiler:
Quote:
SYNOPSIS

Don’t miss the first five books in this series that Warner Brothers Television has optioned for the CW Network with Alloy Entertainment producing!

“Ninety-nine percent of the wives and moms in the country will identify with this heroine. I mean, like who hasn’t had to battle demons between car pools and play dates?” Jayne Ann Krentz, New York Times bestselling author

“[S]hows you what would happen if Buffy got married and kept her past a secret. It’s a hoot.”—Charlaine Harris, New York Times bestselling author

The Trouble With Demons contains the first five books in Julie Kenner's Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom Series:

Carpe Demon
California Demon
Demons Are Forever
Deja Demon
Demon Ex Machina

Kate Connor is your average, everyday mom with two kids, a husband, and one very big secret … she used to be a Demon Hunter. Now retired, she’s more interested in the domestic than the demonic. So when she catches sight of a demon in Wal-Mart, she tells herself it’s some other Hunter’s problem. But when that demon attacks her in her kitchen, retirement is no longer an option...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #182
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The Trouble with Demons omnibus is currently $4 at Amazon (US), in case you can't wait (or didn't get a coupon better than 20%).

http://www.amazon.com/Demon-Ex-Machi...437074&sr=1-18
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #183
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
The Trouble with Demons contains the first five books in the Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom series by Julie Kenner:
  • Carpe Demon
  • California Demon
  • Demons Are Forever
  • Deja Demon
  • Demon Ex Machina
It appears to be a self-pub, but I've read the first two in this series and found them quite fun, so I'm listing it anyway, under the "I've personally read it and enjoyed it self-pub exemption" used on some other threads <g>.
At least the first four volumes were traditionally published, then she self-pubbed when the rights reverted.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:20 AM   #184
orangekiwi
Addict
orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paperwhite
Kate Elliott has an omnibus of The Novels of the Jaran which include
Jaran, An Earthly Crown, His Conquering Sword, and The Law of Becoming
ISBN:9781480465220
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/boo...-of-the-Jaran/
Science Fiction/Fantasy

There are several omnibi from Mercedes Lackey from her Five hundred kingdom series (Fantasy/Romance)
A Tale of the Five Hundred Kingdoms Volume 1
(The Fairy Godmother\One Good Knight)
ISBN:9781460336137
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/boo...doms-Volume-1/

A Tale of the Five Hundred Kingdoms Volume 2
(Fortune's Fool\The Snow Queen)
ISBN:9781460338278
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebo...gdoms-volume-2

A Tale of the Five Hundred Kingdoms Volume 3
(The Sleeping Beauty\Beauty and the Werewolf)
ISBN:9781460342947
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/boo...doms-Volume-3/

All of the above are currently eligible for kobo coupons
orangekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #185
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Omnibi"? Where does that come from? It sure ain't Latin!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #186
orangekiwi
Addict
orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Omnibi"? Where does that come from? It sure ain't Latin!
it sounded good as a guess?
Omnibuses looked/sounded odd to me but I suppose that is the correct term then?
orangekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #187
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekiwi View Post
It is, yes.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #188
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekiwi View Post
Quote:
It is, yes.
I suppose omnibodes is Right Out, then?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:51 PM   #189
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I suppose omnibodes is Right Out, then?
I wonder how many people (other than we two) would understand that reference? .
Old 03-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #190
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
I wonder how many people (other than we two) would understand that reference? .
Probably about eight.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #191
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Probably about eight.
I think that you're overly optimistic. hahaha
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:01 AM   #192
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I think that you're overly optimistic. hahaha
To explain: Bob was making a parallel with the word "octopus", which many people mistakenly think is a Latin word and form the false plural "octopi" (hence his "about 8 people" comment). Octopus is actually Greek, not Latin, and if you prefer to use a Greek plural, rather than the much more straightforward English "octopuses", that plural would be "octopodes" - pronounced "oc-TOP-ud-eez". Although this may be grammatically correct, it has the significant disadvantage that almost nobody would have a clue what you mean, hence it's better to stick to "octopuses" - and, yes, "omnibuses" .

Although "omnibus" is indeed Latin, its plural is not "omnibi" because the Latin word "omnibus" is an adverb (meaning "for all"), not a noun, and adverbs don't have plurals.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #193
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
To explain: Bob was making a parallel with the word "octopus", which many people mistakenly think is a Latin word and form the false plural "octopi" (hence his "about 8 people" comment). Octopus is actually Greek, not Latin, and if you prefer to use a Greek plural, rather than the much more straightforward English "octopuses", that plural would be "octopodes" - pronounced "oc-TOP-ud-eez". Although this may be grammatically correct, it has the significant disadvantage that almost nobody would have a clue what you mean, hence it's better to stick to "octopuses" - and, yes, "omnibuses" .

Although "omnibus" is indeed Latin, its plural is not "omnibi" because the Latin word "omnibus" is an adverb (meaning "for all"), not a noun, and adverbs don't have plurals.
Harry, Harry, Harry. This is English we're talking about. And in English, we can do anything we want. We can have Octopi. Or Optopodes. Or Octopuses. Or Omnibuses. Or Omnibi. Or anything we want to do with it. It's called normalcy.

Very simply, in English there are a plethora of ways to pluralise a word.

And we really don't care where the word came from. To care where a word came from is a racist and potentially sexist act. And we're trying not to commit such heinous acts anymore.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:39 AM   #194
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
And we really don't care where the word came from. To care where a word came from is a racist and potentially sexist act.
Huh? No, it's called "etymology", and has whole books dedicated to it. Many people (myself included) find it an interesting field of study.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:41 AM   #195
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Huh? No, it's called "etymology", and has whole books dedicated to it. Many people (myself included) find it an interesting field of study.
I think murg was joking.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote