Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Destroying a book or not?

Hello. I would like to hear your opinion on something I am working on right now.

In the 90s, I got this one book from the USA about a certain subject (just look at my username). I wanted to read it, but back then, my english wasn't very good, so I never got far, even though it is a good book.

Recently, when I emptied an old cupboard, I discovered the book again. And since I am still interested, I thought about reading it now, but due to my ebookreader, I rarely read paperbooks. I searched on the internet if the book is available as ebook, but I didn't find it. So I wanted to scan it by myself. I own a scanner, but the book is very thick, so I would need to push it very hard and maybe break it's spine. I also thought about taking pictures with my camera (a pretty good one) but that would be cumbersome and boring.
However, my father has a scanner, with an automatic document feeder. But to use that, I would have to destroy the book - and I don't want that. So I looked on ebay and I found like 3-4 auctions with this book, at a price between $4 and $15. I thought about getting one of them and cut this one.

But before that, I want to hear your opinion. Even as a kid, I treated my books like they were treasures. I always learned to handle a book well, so buying one just to destroy it would feel strange (even though I still own one in good condition).

What is your opinion?
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I'd have the same difficulty. Cutting the pages out of a book, even for a good purpose is sacrilegious. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I do this regularly. If the book isn't a rare edition, I've almost gotten over the feeling of guilt in chopping off the spine & running it through the document-feed scanner. I've bought several for the purpose of chop-and-scan; it's how I get personal ebooks of books that don't have, and aren't likely to have, an official ebook edition.

This includes out-of-print gaming books, some religious books, and multi-author books where the permissions likely preclude an authorized e-edition.

If I'm feeling guilty or nostalgic about a particular copy, I keep the book, and if the margins are big enough, I've considered putting a comb binding on the loose pages. (So far, I've just rubber-banded them & put the books back on a shelf.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
Ciprian
Ciprian began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone
I have a project that involves an online library and the authors are giving me their books to transform them into epub through scan+OCR. Some of them need them back, so I'm not allowed to cut and I scan the pages without destroying the book and the do the ocr+epub/mobi.
If you are interested I can help you with the ocr and ebook.
Ciprian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
Hello. I would like to hear your opinion on something I am working on right now.

In the 90s, I got this one book from the USA about a certain subject (just look at my username). I wanted to read it, but back then, my english wasn't very good, so I never got far, even though it is a good book.

Recently, when I emptied an old cupboard, I discovered the book again. And since I am still interested, I thought about reading it now, but due to my ebookreader, I rarely read paperbooks. I searched on the internet if the book is available as ebook, but I didn't find it. So I wanted to scan it by myself. I own a scanner, but the book is very thick, so I would need to push it very hard and maybe break it's spine. I also thought about taking pictures with my camera (a pretty good one) but that would be cumbersome and boring.
However, my father has a scanner, with an automatic document feeder. But to use that, I would have to destroy the book - and I don't want that. So I looked on ebay and I found like 3-4 auctions with this book, at a price between $4 and $15. I thought about getting one of them and cut this one.

But before that, I want to hear your opinion. Even as a kid, I treated my books like they were treasures. I always learned to handle a book well, so buying one just to destroy it would feel strange (even though I still own one in good condition).

What is your opinion?
So, you don't want to use it on a flatbad scanner, because you're afraid you'd crack the spine, but might not have a problem to cut it up?

I could never cut up my books. The few hardcovers I've scanned myself, I just put carefully on the flatbad, one page at the time. It took a bit more time, but in the end I had a good ebook and a still very good looking hardcover...

But I've been considering buying cheap copies and destroying that (same as you), but I doubt I ever could...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

If it’s not just this book - and I’m sure after doing it once, it will not be... -, invest in a Plusteck OptickBook 3600 scanner (http://plustek.com/oeu/products/opticbook-series/) and just scan you own copy without destroying it (you are saving a bit on the price of the scanner already by not buying a second copy!)

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
So, you don't want to use it on a flatbad scanner, because you're afraid you'd crack the spine, but might not have a problem to cut it up?

I could never cut up my books. The few hardcovers I've scanned myself, I just put carefully on the flatbad, one page at the time. It took a bit more time, but in the end I had a good ebook and a still very good looking hardcover...

But I've been considering buying cheap copies and destroying that (same as you), but I doubt I ever could...
I would never cut up my own book. But int this case, I would buy another one and sacrifice that one. I think I could also scan it with my current scanner, without breaking the spine, but the book has like 400 pages and I am a lazy a.s

I just found a cheap used version of the book that I am searching. It costs like $4, without any shipping charges, so I consider this a bargain. However, I am still not sure if I really will sacrifice it, once I get it.

@DDHariman: I already heard about the Plustek 3600 and I am really interested in it. Currently I use an old Canon Scanner. The strange thing about that one: I use it since many years. Recently I got a new computer with Windows 7. I tried to install it but I found out that Canon did update their drivers to Windows 7. So currently I am using a generic driver called VueScan.

Once I have enough money, I will invest it in a scanner, but right now I am renovating a house that my parents own. Once that is finished I can move in, with my wife - who is 2nd month pregnant. So I am still pretty far away from getting a new scanner.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
You need friends who have the right equipment and it's quick and easy. To guillotine the spine off. Ask the local printer to do it as a favor. They'd be pretty tight if they asked you to pay for one cut. Find someone who has a auto feed scanner that duplexes like the one we have at work which emails the scan to you. It will scan each page in about a second.

With 400 pages you'll need to use Elfwreck's binding method but if smaller perhaps someone you know has a hot glue binder at work with clear covers and you can bind it back up.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello NASCARaddicted

With the new information you have posted I agree, buy the book you have found and scan it with your own canon scanner - it will be a bit slower, but you can do it, and... wish you and your lady the best.

Best regards,

Last edited by DDHarriman; 07-02-2011 at 06:59 PM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
I would never cut up my own book. But int this case, I would buy another one and sacrifice that one. I think I could also scan it with my current scanner, without breaking the spine, but the book has like 400 pages and I am a lazy a.s

I just found a cheap used version of the book that I am searching. It costs like $4, without any shipping charges, so I consider this a bargain. However, I am still not sure if I really will sacrifice it, once I get it.
I got several (cheap) second-hand books, simply to turn them into ebooks. Still can't get myself to destroy them, even though I bought them for that purpose!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote