Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Strange Fictionwise e-mail. Agency 5 books?

I just received this e-mail from Fictionwise:

"You are one of our many Fictionwise customers who uses the website's "Wish
List" feature which lets you save eBooks for future purchase, or you've
kept items in your cart for some time. Since we know you have eBooks you
want to buy, we are running a special "Wish List Sale" to help our
customers who have been waiting for the right time to buy.

You currently have one or more eBooks in your fictionwise.com Wish List,
or there are one or more unbought eBooks which have been in your Cart for
over two weeks. We're calling these your "Wish List eBooks" and we have
discounted one or more of them for a limited time! Your personal Wish List
discounts are:

25% OFF: City of Dragons by Kelli Stanley
25% OFF: Nine Gates by Jane Lindskold
25% OFF: Descent into Dust by Jacqueline Lepore
25% OFF: Mount Dragon by Douglas Preston
25% OFF: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke

These discounts are completely automatic--just purchase any of these
eBooks by January 30, 2011 to receive the lower price. These discounts
come right off the publisher's list price of the eBook, and if you use
your Newsletter Code of "probowl2011" for an additional 50% discount, then
your code discount is applied to your special Wish List discount price for
even more savings!!! Only a small percentage of our customers are
receiving this offer, and the last time we offered this was Fall of 2009,
so take advantage now!".

I have no books on my Fictionwise wishlist, but well a discount is a discount.
But when I searched the Fictionwise website I could find none of the books mentioned above.
Checking the books at B&N's website I found out that all these books are Agency 5 books.
Has Fictionwise sent out an e-mail with incorrect books?
Or will agency 5 books become available on January 29 or 30?
Has anyone else received this kind of e-mail from Fictionwise?
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I got the email, too, but all the books were in my wishlist, which did not include any Agency books, as I buy Multiformat only.

I'm pretty sure that they can't discount Agency books.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I feel unloved. Fictionwise never sends me the newsletter anymore, even though I've tried going in and resetting my contact preferences again.

This does explain why random titles on my wishlist suddenly looked on sale when I logged in to check if I'd already bought a particular book but didn't have a discount price when I looked at the regular product page.

I was wondering about that and hoping that there would be another 50% off coupon popping up so I could take advantage of whatever it was while it lasted.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Now I'm going to go do triage on the stuff I really want that's discounted and adding some more to the wishlist, to hopefully encourage them to do this sort of thing again.

ETA: Incidentally, I'm kind of wondering if it's truly customized, or they just randomly discounted stuff and told people who happened to have some of the randomly discounted stuff on their list that it was done especially for them.

Anyone else seeing a sale price of $5.24 when they add Terry Bisson's Bears Discover Fire to the shopping cart?

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-28-2011 at 10:05 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I got it too. I think it's an error. My email had a different list than yours, but i reconized the books. They where on my wish list at one time but since FW stopped carring those punlishers the books disapeared. From my wish list.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #5
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Fictionwise was my very first site for shopping for ebooks for my Zire72... Then geo-restrictions came in, and I wasn't able to re-download most of the titles I had bought...

When I got a new email address early last year, I never updated it at Fictionwise. So... no emails for me...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 02:58 AM   #6
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I feel unloved. Fictionwise never sends me the newsletter anymore, even though I've tried going in and resetting my contact preferences again.

This does explain why random titles on my wishlist suddenly looked on sale when I logged in to check if I'd already bought a particular book but didn't have a discount price when I looked at the regular product page.

I was wondering about that and hoping that there would be another 50% off coupon popping up so I could take advantage of whatever it was while it lasted.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Now I'm going to go do triage on the stuff I really want that's discounted and adding some more to the wishlist, to hopefully encourage them to do this sort of thing again.

ETA: Incidentally, I'm kind of wondering if it's truly customized, or they just randomly discounted stuff and told people who happened to have some of the randomly discounted stuff on their list that it was done especially for them.

Anyone else seeing a sale price of $5.24 when they add Terry Bisson's Bears Discover Fire to the shopping cart?
I didn't get the email, either. And Bears Discover Fire does not show up as being on sale for me. (I highly recommend it, by the way. Worth it for the title story alone.) But when I looked at my wishlist, I saw they were all on sale. I added Bears to see what would happen, but it's now the only book in my wishlist not on sale.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
But when I looked at my wishlist, I saw they were all on sale. I added Bears to see what would happen, but it's now the only book in my wishlist not on sale.
Thanks for taking the time to check. Only about a dozen or so titles on my list are on sale, but then I've got 3 pages worth of wishlist items, to which I'll be adding yours along with a lot more (wish I'd stacked it with more Greg Bear and some mysteries last year) in case they do this again.

I'll definitely be picking up the Bisson. It'll be worth it to get a DRM-free portable copy of They're Made Out of Meat, which is, like, the best alien first contact story EVER, to go along with my paper edition of his collection.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
mrbanana
Enthusiast
mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 505
I got that email too. And couldn't buy any of the books mentioned as they no longer sell them.

Fortunately Fictionwise have just sent me a second email titled:

------------------------
Fictionwise [Correction]: Your Wish List is Our Command - Additional Discounts just for you!

This email contains corrections for the wish list letter we sent earlier which may have contained inaccurate information. We apologize for any confusion it may have caused.

snip

Your personal Wish List discounts are:

These discounts are completely automatic.

snip
-------------------

Yep, they have sent me an email saying I can now buy absolutely nothing for 25% off list price.

Apparently I was specially chosen.

And I've got till tomorrow to buy absolutely nothing. So I'd better hurry if I don't want to miss out on a bargain.

Bunch of clowns.
mrbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbanana View Post
Yep, they have sent me an email saying I can now buy absolutely nothing for 25% off list price.

Apparently I was specially chosen.

And I've got till tomorrow to buy absolutely nothing. So I'd better hurry if I don't want to miss out on a bargain.

Bunch of clowns.
I got a corrected e-mail that included a new list of books in my wishlist that I could get at 25% off. From what I could tell, all or most of them were multiformat books -- so no Agency Five shenanigans there.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #10
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I got it too. I think it's an error. My email had a different list than yours, but i reconized the books. They where on my wish list at one time but since FW stopped carring those punlishers the books disapeared. From my wish list.
I think they are still on your wishlist, but the book is hidden since they don't sell it. It is the same with purchased books that are no longer sold.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote