Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Falk
Falk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Future EPUB Support

I have converted quite a few EPUB books to MOBI recently and while the results usually don't disappoint there is the occasional glitch (especially when it comes to tables). In light of recent developments, how long do you assume would it take before anyone could add EPUB support in case Amazon doesn't see the light?
Falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
You should be able to convert using Calibre right now. I don't think Amazon is going to support Epub, probably ever. It has no big reason to do so.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
Steve's Web Host
Some Old Guy
Steve's Web Host began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPhone, Archos 7
On the Mac I've been using Stanza to convert Epub files for my Kindle DX. One available option is to go directly to Amazon's azw format.

So far everything has been nominal in the output files.
Steve's Web Host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
You should be able to convert using Calibre right now. I don't think Amazon is going to support Epub, probably ever. It has no big reason to do so.
There is one reason. So Kindle owners can borrow eBooks from the library. Lack of library access is eventually going to be a downfall of the Kindle (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:07 AM   #5
Falk
Falk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
From Amazon's perspective, creating a walled garden may be desirable for the moment, but they might really hurt their long term prospects by doing so. If they did support EPUB at least as an option next to MOBI / AZW a host of other readers could be used to purchase Amazon books. Not with the Kindle experience (for whomever it's a decisive factor...), but nevertheless.

You don't need any special Amazon license to read their paper books; so why tie ebooks to only one device? I really hope they didn't buy LexCycle just to kill the company off but to use their expertise to offer an alternative to their readers on mobile devices as well as the Kindle. It would benefit everybody as the market for ebooks is going to grow for many years to come!

Apart from that, I don't think we are limited to hoping for Amazon only: Someone might come up with a way to add EPUB support to the Kindle without Amazon's consent and the user community might end up keeping the K1 / K2 much longer alive than big A intended :-)
Falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #6
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
This library question is really an interesting one. If everyone can just sit at their computer at home and get current books from the library to read on their e-readers, why ever buy books?

I have a rant on how voluntarism is a major force that is almost not recognized in the capitalistic world today, and this seems like a similar phenomenon. And I worked for a company that couldn't cope when it was trying to sell a web browser, and Netscape and Microsoft started giving their browsers away for free. How do you make a buck when your product has suddenly been made free of charge?

And now, this is starting to happen to Ebooks! First of all, economists have to find a way to include free labor and free products as part of the nation's GNP -- I don't think they are now.

Anyway, are we entering another revolution? I'm beginning to feel like a rock star who I saw quoted once. He was looking very tired, and a critic asked him what was up. "Oh," the rock star groaned, "I think I'm a victim of one too many youth movements." He had gone from being a hippy to being a punk...

So, are we going to be the victims of one more revolution? Or the beneficiaries?
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
This library question is really an interesting one. If everyone can just sit at their computer at home and get current books from the library to read on their e-readers, why ever buy books?
For the same reasons that many people prefer to buy best-sellers at a bookstore, and don't borrow them from the library:

1. Popular books tend to have long waiting lists at libraries, and that applies to eBooks just as much as it does to paper books.

2. People want to keep the book permanently.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is one reason. So Kindle owners can borrow eBooks from the library. Lack of library access is eventually going to be a downfall of the Kindle (IMHO).

I agree they need to support epub, but my library has both epub and mobi (not generally for the same book though).

It's the access to both libraries and industry standard (i.e. epub) that will either force Amazon to support epub or it will fail in the same manner as betamax and mini-disc...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #9
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Except that only a limited number of copies are available. If you have to wait 2 months on the waiting list, you might prefer to purchase it.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I agree they need to support epub, but my library has both epub and mobi (not generally for the same book though).

It's the access to both libraries and industry standard (i.e. epub) that will either force Amazon to support epub or it will fail in the same manner as betamax and mini-disc...
But, the Kindle does not support Mobipocket DRM. So for most people, borrowing eBooks from the library to read using a Kindle is a no go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
But, the Kindle does not support Mobipocket DRM. So for most people, borrowing eBooks from the library to read using a Kindle is a no go.

True for DRM mobi sorry if I was misleading..
Old 10-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Kindlefix doesn't work anymore? At any rate, it would take only a minor tweak from Amazon to open up Mobipocket DRMed books, including library books, to the Kindle. It would be much more effort to support epub. Even if it did, so what? Why should everyone submit to Adobe's onerous DRM sytem? Maybe amazon will extend mobipocket DRM to epub or adopt EReader DRM for it. I don't see Amazon paying the license fees to Adobe and I don't blame them.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #13
rocksbg
rocksbg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Does the library have to pay the license fee for each copy of an eBook they lend?
If so then the books are being paid for... also the new B&N device(nook) will include lending books to friends on a 14 day conditional basis... so all of these factors may have to be considered by the folks at Amazon...
rocksbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
kennyc

The libraries have an agreement about the lending (number etc per copy) and I believe must buy enough copies to meet their needs. Someone more knowledgeable hopefully will chime in.