Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
gris
Connoisseur
gris began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sonyt2,
firmware and where to buy the m92

i write here .. issue:?firmware and where to buy the m92?

..so to get it right! onyx-boox.com aka arta tech is poland company selling the boox with better texttospeech software called ivona that now bought amazon since shortly.

i like the 70 euro I can save with arta. But then I cannot use booxstore firmware? only the artatech firmware release because the device is somehow locked to it?

is this important?

Is this booxstore firmware really so important, good? Does onyx not supply reasonable firmware updates? is it that much of an improvement?

i know. i want to know it all

so thank you, if your nice people
gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Hi,
You could take the time to search in this forum the replies at your questions. In only one minutes you could find :
Where to buy a Onyx M92 and Firmware updates, dictionaries, fonts and third-party apps for Onyx Boox M92.

Take the time to read this thread. You find other information in this forum.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
@gris

Booxstor firmware is also official Onyx firmware. Usually what goes to "Booxstor firmware" shows also in Arta Tech one, but maybe several months later.

Also note that difference is not 70 EUR as you have to buy also good cover and maybe also power adapter if you do not have any.

And sooner or later android might be ported to M92. Booxstor mentioned it might be problem port android also to Arta Tech.

And there is probably difference in Warranty lenght. Booxstor has 2 years, ArtaTech 1 year.

My opinion is that there is not very big price difference if you take in account you have to buy a good cover and power adapter and the risk something breakes the 2nd year...

So, the choice is not the cost, but if you want better TTS at the cost of delayed firmware updates and the potential risk android will not be ported to device.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
gris
Connoisseur

I already found various anwers to some questions. various is maybe too much. but they are different too. maybe clarifying from someone who was reading following more and can summ up, less work for me and others. that was my point.

wow booxstor is official onyx firmware!, hey that guy is someone!
can't believe. so close already with those onyx guys?

is he supporting other onyx device firmware too? they do have other interesting readers too. and I read onyx is not the most firmware supporting updating company. the problem is, it is not always the hardware but the software that limits the possibilitys.

thank you mono by the way..!

---------
edit:
@mon
i know, but it is somehow psychological, i don need or want a cover that would be about 40euro, or a charger about 20, maybe some day later.. but most case don really need. i go and buy some cheap but quality sleeve, alreay avail for tab for ex.

at all, i was always the mind that thinks, better selling more of a good product and make the money with the quantity sold, than selling less and make the same money with the higher prize.

ok 2 year warranty and so on.. but it is a lot for a f* reader. and really i don need a two year warranty. if it survives the first year, it will the second too. those who wan that could add at additional prize

i think many feel this way, and so just sad, that a good device will be sold less. and those f* tablets all the way over.

Last edited by gris; 01-26-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

You may install "Booxstor firmware" to any M92 device (it must be hardware identical, in Russia are sold also hardware modifications without audio output and also without pen ability, I guess) unless it is ArtaTech one.

I did not buy from Booxstor shop, but I may install this firmware. And Booxstor gives me support, helps to implement my ideas and fix the bugs.

The price difference is not 70 EUR, but cca 30-40 EUR, if I consider missing cover and power adapter, and cca 0-10 EUR if you also consider the difference in warranty.

But if you want to "save" money do it. You asked for answers, you got them. What you do is your decision.

EDIT:
To be fair to Arta Tech, you get better TTS, and some cloud capabilities, if you buy their device. So, the price difference is bigger than stated in my previous paragraphs. One must count for TTS, at least.

Last edited by Mono; 01-27-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
ljubavracar
ljubavracar began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX M92
I must say I fully agree with "Mono". BTW, I have ArtaTech M92 and Ivona TTS is really great software. For now, I don't have any complaints about firmware and I don't need new firmware. My device supporting third party software (games, small programs, etc.) So, decision is yours.
Hope it helps
ljubavracar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
gris
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljubavracar View Post
I must say I fully agree with "Mono". BTW, I have ArtaTech M92 and Ivona TTS is really great software. For now, I don't have any complaints about firmware and I don't need new firmware. My device supporting third party software (games, small programs, etc.) So, decision is yours.
Hope it helps
i say would have been better for those two to unite instead of being bought from amazone as i read.

.... but who knows if this arta tech is this ivona.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
Mono
Mono

I found that Czech e-shop has M92 (with cover, electricity supply and 2 year warranty) for cca 320 EUR (incl. VAT) + postage. It should be standard M92 into which it is possible install "Booxstor" firmware.

It is still more exspensive than bare M92 from Arta Tech, but quite close, mainly if you consider aditional cost for cover.

But their pages are in Czech and I do not know if they sell internationaly.
https://www.geekbook.cz/

IVONA is not product of Arta Tech (I think), they licence TTS software from another company called IVONA Software (which is also Polish company).
Amazon buys IVONA Software

Last edited by Mono; 01-27-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
gris
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
I found that Czech e-shop has M92 (with cover, electricity supply and 2 year warranty) for cca 320 EUR (incl. VAT) + postage. It should be standard M92 into which it is possible install "Booxstor" firmware.

It is still more exspensive than bare M92 from Arta Tech, but quite close, mainly if you consider aditional cost for cover.

IVONA is not product of Arta Tech (I think), they licence TTS software from another company called IVONA Software (which is also Polish company).
Amazon buys IVONA Software
ok, this cz shop, I would maybe buy there, but since they don't have the pages in english too, I guess, they don't sell int. they generally earn less in east european countries, I think, so maybe thats the reason for a lower prize.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post

It is always a kind of dilemma with those prices.

I know sales trends and quantities of Artatech and other distributors.

Russian distributor MacCentre is the biggest dealer of M92 devices because of exclusive rights for russian market (even their prices with EUR362 are higher than ours and hardware is cheaper).

Artatech also sells much more M92 devices than we do. I guess in first line because of dumping prices and excellent tactic with acquiring onyxboox.com domain (where they pretend to many prospective customers beeing an official Onyx representative office) and selling accessories separately.

In my opinion that situation is similar to issues with Bio products in supermarkets. Almost everybody claims to be against industrial manufacturing of foods, but nobody is really ready to pay a little bit more for Bio products made on small Bio farms.

When I read such posts I think we are also under compulsion to lower our prices dramatically and start dumping wars.

In this case we will be more concentrated on sales, than on spending time being attentive to our customers (and other users of same products) and just hope eventually, that user wishes and issues in the software will improve on its own (or someone else will take care about it) ...

Somehow it was not really my kind of doing business. Seems I was wrong with it. I was disabused - sales quantities are more important and we have to do it like our competitors do..

I would like to hear your opinion..
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Booxtor,

First, sorry for my english.

I've allready wrote that the price wasn't the most important. In our community of users the most important is the support. I've the experience with others technical devices. Here, the support is mainly "Booxtor" for the most important improvements. Even if your prices are higher (the difference is not so big), it's (in my opion) necessary to support you. But it seems that the price is the main criterion for some people. Without support, a device could become dead : no evolution.

You could sell the device alone, without accessories to reduce the price.

You could by a new domain name : onyx-boox.eu, and make some new pages. This pages could be like an official Boox dealer like yours competitors.

You could stop to put the firmwares and patchs in this forum, and put them in your new website. You could reserve the access to YOUR customers and make some demonstration of your firmwares for all visitors in your site, present all features.
You can make a forum on your site and reply only in this new forum. The other sellers don't contribute to the enhancement of the devices, so you'll have a big position and a better visibility for all customers. The idea is to have a big advantage to be a customer of your shop.

Some projects are payed by a community of users, it can be a solution, may be the worse : you wait to be paid for working on the firmware.

If you stop the support in this forum and make it only in your forum, the customers will see your product and your work on the devices. The comparison will be good for your business. You have, now, a good notoriety for the support. It's not the case for all of your competitors.

Last edited by Randy11; 01-28-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Mono
Mono

Booxstor, I agree with you. It is not fair that you invest lots of your time in support of all Onyx users and communication with Onyx concerning bugs and SW development (new features), etc.

And others milk the cow. I do not like the Arta Tech approach, they benefit from your work, but it seems to me, that they do not do anything in return for you and users other than theirs. What one gives and receives should be in ballance.

I appreciate your great support and wish you to receive the fruits for that.

Price competing leads often to hell if not done with common sence. The food companies are (at least in Czech Rep) are pushed so much by store-chains that they instead of food produce "chemical coctails" to meet required price. And it is sad that people buy this crap and even like it and it tastes them better than normal food. And they gradualy keep forgetting how products should taste if they are natural and +/-healthy.

The biggest paradox is that many basic items (like most of food), not speaking of electronics, cosmetics and textile items, is more expensive in Czech Rep. than in Germany or Austria, despite tha fact that average Czech income (cca 1000 EUR/month) is half, third of German one (I am not sure, how much is the German average wage).

I know that the change should be made on demand side (if I do not buy the product, it diapears), but there should be some kind of common sense and responsibility on side of merchants and producers too.

Many people complain about quality of Chinese goods, but the problem is not always on Chinese side. They are able to produce both, very high quality items and items that should not ever go to market. If the seller orders low quality (and the merchant knows it is low quality) just because of price, then there is something wrong.

They buy for 1, sell for 10-100. It breaks within days, weeks, months. Or does not exactly break, but works so, so. So that it is not possible to ask warranty, or it is too much hassle and consumers do not do it.

The world is strange. But it is us who make it strange.

Sorry, for offtopic.

Edit:
Randy11 is right. You could purchase onyx-boox domain and support only or mainly your customers on your forum. Or both forums, here and your own.

Last edited by Mono; 01-28-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
IMO, if the choice is between somewhat lower prices and the excellent support you're giving the m92 users I choose the support without a doubt
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
Alf77
Enthusiast
Alf77 began at the beginning.

Device: M92 & M96
Good evening to anybody.

This is my first post and first thing is sorry to have discovered this forum after having bought an M92 on ebay, otherwise I would have taken it from Booxstor.

Coming to you, well, there are various sides of the story. If Onyx devices are well supported, they sell more and you will sell more too.

Another factor is that if YOU develop the system you sell less (let's say like this) and people who only sell make more money, having lower prices (because they only sell).

A third thing to consider is that, IMHO, a good portion of the users are like me, the search for updates AFTER they have the device.

A 4th thing is that your work produces free updates and open developments that are good for the device because they maintain the community alive. A condensation core is always necessary.

So the dilemma is basically how to keep the good developments for all the users while not crashing on your business.

This is basically impossible since there are 24 hours in a day.

A solution could be somebody else to help you for free on whatever sides of your business: development or selling to let you develop. Dunno if this is viable.

Another solution could be you setup a quick blog for the updates and so on (to be linked or repeated here as usual) on which you ask for (small) donations. And also advertisement banners maybe. As far as I know users and visitors will be happy to contribute.

However, Thank you.

Alf
Alf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
Randy11
Wizard

Booxtor,

Now, you can remove all your links in this forum, remove all videos from Youtube and put them in your site: http://ereader-store.de/en/ . It's the first step to increase the number of visit of your site. And make you THE "reference" for the Onyx products.

Last edited by Randy11; 01-28-2013 at 12:49 PM.