Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #22021
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Late afternoon cup of Keemun tea, looking out at the rain...

We used up the last of our free tickets this afternoon for a 'luxury lunch' at a hotel in Kyoto. We get these tickets based on 'points' gathered through the use of our credit cards. Last time we went to a very Japanese hotel complete with garden. Today we went to a hotel with a revolving roof-level restaurant overlooking the city and the mountains surrounding it. Lovely setting. The food... well... it tasted OK I think... but it was hard to tell as it was 'French' style... i.e. three baby lettuce leaves, half a radish, and half a cherry tomato for a salad, a bowl with 1/4 cup of cream of cauliflower soup, and the main dish was a single slice of pork the size of a credit card, surrounded by three Julianned strips of carrot and a french fry. But the plates were very pretty, if somewhat large. And it was free. If I had to pay for it, this would be in the Vent and Rant thread.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #22022
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
(hoping Betty and her mother are alright..)

In my cup: hot coffee
In my hand: cracker+humus and the newspaper bookreviews
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:38 AM   #22023
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Late afternoon cup of Keemun tea, looking out at the rain...

We used up the last of our free tickets this afternoon for a 'luxury lunch' at a hotel in Kyoto. We get these tickets based on 'points' gathered through the use of our credit cards. Last time we went to a very Japanese hotel complete with garden. Today we went to a hotel with a revolving roof-level restaurant overlooking the city and the mountains surrounding it. Lovely setting. The food... well... it tasted OK I think... but it was hard to tell as it was 'French' style... i.e. three baby lettuce leaves, half a radish, and half a cherry tomato for a salad, a bowl with 1/4 cup of cream of cauliflower soup, and the main dish was a single slice of pork the size of a credit card, surrounded by three Julianned strips of carrot and a french fry. But the plates were very pretty, if somewhat large. And it was free. If I had to pay for it, this would be in the Vent and Rant thread.

Stitchawl
We were on vacation and part of the trip was by train. I nearly starved (Well, it felt like it to me anyway). I wondered what was going on when the breakfast was over after a croissant and coffee. I thought that maybe it would be an early lunch and more substantial. Wrong. We were treated to an "American" portion lunch.. Ha. It was a very small cup of gazpacho (picture tiny tea cup) with a small bread. Plus a plate with a few lettuce leaves and prettily carved, tiny vegetables. Plus a couple of cheese and meat slices with a tiny, tiny stuffed mushroom and tomato. Wine (as much as we wanted) was also served.
(I was thinking all along that we were being served tiny portions of the appetizers) It wasn't until the next plate (with a petit four for dessert) that I realized that it had been the "whole" lunch. There were actually people who didn't eat everything and thought we were being served way too much!

Long story short..When we had a short stop in early evening, I got off, hailed a taxi to take me to the closest place to purchase food, and filled a carry bag with extra fruit, chocolate, and other snacks to help me make it through the rest of the trip. Yes, I get teased about where it all goes as I am not very big, but I did learn on that trip to always pack extra fruit and snacks in my carry bag.

Oolong tea in my cup.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:45 AM   #22024
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have eaten in many different restaurants all over the world, in just about every style of cuisine known to man. This was the FIRST time I have ever been served ONE french fry. I was served three french fries once before, very nicely arranged on the plate, but today was a "first!" (OK... they weren't 'french fries.' They were rectangular strips of deep fried potato the size and shape of french fries. The menu called them, of course, pomme frite.) We were given A dinner roll too. Butter, even. I was ready to eat the table cloth but my wife wouldn't let me.

Stitchawl
Old 11-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #22025
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
That was how I felt. To this day, I still keep snacks in my purse.

*kind of like Gone With the Wind... As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again! *
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #22026
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1352625728.871682.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	95922

Doggie
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #22027
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
That is a nice sight on a sunny sunday morning

cold coffee in my cup
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #22028
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sitchawl, Dreams, that reminds me of a story that happened to me. I wanted to take my wife out some place really special for our second anniversary and we were living in Las Vegas, NV, USA at the time. So I asked my boss (I was a short order cook at a hash house) and she recommended this fancy pants French restaurant.

So we pull up to the restaurant in our Saturn SL1, and first problem.. 0 parking. It is assumed you will only want valet parking if you go there. I hate valet parking, but its for my wife so we carry on. We are seated in a beautiful out door area (remember this is Vegas, 360+ days of sunshine a year) with private groves for each table.

We are then treated to a full seven course meal, with them taking the plates between and serving sherbet between to clean our pallets and all that. The Cappuccino was by far the best I ever had (and since I am a former barrista that says a lot). All the food was great... but.....

When we left we drove around the corner and got some Burger King cause we were left STARVING. The meal at the restaurant cost 20 times what we paid for BK, but had maybe 1/20th the quantity! Never did that again.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #22029
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I have eaten in many different restaurants all over the world, in just about every style of cuisine known to man. This was the FIRST time I have ever been served ONE french fry. I was served three french fries once before, very nicely arranged on the plate, but today was a "first!" (OK... they weren't 'french fries.' They were rectangular strips of deep fried potato the size and shape of french fries. The menu called them, of course, pomme frite.) We were given A dinner roll too. Butter, even. I was ready to eat the table cloth but my wife wouldn't let me.
What are you complaining about? The menu seems to have been entirely accurate. Now if it had said "pomme frites" you could have asked for another one!

Coke Zero #2 in my cup.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #22030
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
When we left we drove around the corner and got some Burger King cause we were left STARVING.
If I wasn't on a diet, we WOULD have done the very same thing! We had to pass dozens of restaurants to get back to the car park in the next building. Japan usually puts entire corridors of restaurants together, so you wind up passing dozens of restaurant menu display cases as you walk down the corridor. It was driving me crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
What are you complaining about? The menu seems to have been entirely accurate. Now if it had said "pomme frites" you could have asked for another one!
Today I asked for a second dinner roll and the waitress had to consult the Maitre d'... When he saw that it was for the Foreigner, he said OK... I'm a lot bigger than he is.

Stitchawl
Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #22031
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
We're still at the hospital. I'm afraid things are not looking so good for Mom. She seems comfortable but is not responsive. My sisters and I all stayed with her last night. We just want her to remain comfortable, so I hope that can happen. I appreciate all of the kind comments from you guys!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #22032
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
We're still at the hospital. I'm afraid things are not looking so good for Mom. She seems comfortable but is not responsive. My sisters and I all stayed with her last night. We just want her to remain comfortable, so I hope that can happen.
Best wishes to you and your family. It's is good that you and your sisters are there and have each other for support.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #22033
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Best wishes from me, too, Betty. It's good that you sisters are all together now to try to give your mother the best possible time.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #22034
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
We're still at the hospital. I'm afraid things are not looking so good for Mom. She seems comfortable but is not responsive. My sisters and I all stayed with her last night. We just want her to remain comfortable, so I hope that can happen. I appreciate all of the kind comments from you guys!
Missed the posts that you were headed in... sorry you have to go through this, best wishes for a positive outcome.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #22035
Stitchawl
Opsimath

We're still sending positive energy to all of you. I'm happy to know that your family can be with you at times like this.

Stitchawl

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?