Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
misharsenal
misharsenal began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST w/ Glowlight
Nook Calibre Issues

Guys,

I've been scouring the forums for days now trying to find an answer, but nothing seems to work - sorry if some of you have seen this question before.

I have around 300 books (epub) on my calibre library

I connected my Nook Glowlight to Calibre, it connected just fine

I sent all my books to my device (storage A - an 8 GB kingston MicroSD)

All books were sent over, and the green check showed up in Calibre

However

When I open my library on my device, it's only showing 79 books (basically the authors from A-C, and nothing beyond.

I then tried to manually load the epub files (the epub files themselves, first try, and then the folders with the authors name) onto my Nook by dragging them into the Documents folder on my Micro SD. All the books transferred over (319), but only about 80 of them had covers and were openable. The others showed up, but had an error: Error Dialog (Sorry, cannot open this book). The ones that could not open did not have any cover info, and unlike the books the opened fine (had cover, title, and below the title in non bold font author name), the books that didn't work just had a file name (example Catching Fire_How) in one line.

I'm thinking that there's a problem with the epubs but when i drag them into the device memory, even the books that didn't work before opened fine.

This is really strange - please help me, I'm at a complete loss, and I've been trying for 3 days, searching the net and forums.

Thanks in advance

Mishal
misharsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Do the epubs in question open in calibre? I would suspect an issue with the epubs as well, except that the problem is in alphabetical order, and they open when in the device's main memory.
How full is your memory card? It would be unusual for only 79 books to fill 8 Gig, but is there other data on the card?
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Make sure there is only one dot in the filename: ".epub". If there are more dots in the filename the Nook will not recognize the epub extension.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I had to convert all my epubs to "nook" format, and then the covers worked just fine. I never load more books than I am currently reading, though.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by misharsenal View Post

I'm thinking that there's a problem with the epubs but when i drag them into the device memory, even the books that didn't work before opened fine.

Mishal
You have the problem when loading books on the sd card but not when loading them to the device itself?
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
misharsenal

update

@geormes

You're exactly right - i tested it a few times now and all the epubs work on the device storage perfectly

However, the errors are constant on the memory card (Kingston 8 gb Micro SD)

Either there is an issue with the card, or there is an issue with the calibre sync perhaps? Can anyone recreate this?

Update:

I tried it on another MicroSD card, also 8 gb, to see if it would occur on another card, and it didn't work either - same errors - very strange
Old 07-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Mishal,

Welcome to MobileRead. I've picked up some good Calibre/Nook tips that have been posted on various sites this year:

1. Book Cover Art: All EPUB's are not created equally ... there is variety in how they are formatted. So, even if you have a book in EPUB format, it's a good idea to use Calibre and convert from EPUB to EPUB. This seems to cure many cover problems.

2. The Nook is not a speed demon when it comes to SD cards. When you use Calibre to add books to your Nook card, add the books in groups of 10 or less and wait until the "Jobs" icon indicates that it's complete. Then continue adding books in groups of 10 or less. This seems to prevent your PC from overwhelming the Nook's SD card.

3. When connected to the PC, Windows lists the Nook as one drive (for example "E") and the SD card as other drive ("F"). When you're done loading books, use Windows Explorer to EJECT the card first, then EJECT the Nook. Do NOT use the "Safely Remove Hardware" function in Windows. For some reason, Nooks don't play well with "Safely Remove".

4. After you disconnect the Nook, BE PATIENT. Again, the Nook is not a speed demon. It takes time to generate Book Cover Art and sort everything into the correct SD card library folders. Wake up the Nook and let it sit for 10 minutes to "digest" the info you've just fed it. Don't scroll through libraries or mess with anything. Just hands off and wait. This procedure seems to prevent scrambled files on the SD card. Use this procedure when you are loading MANY books onto the Nook ... like the 300+ you mentioned. Not really necessary if you're adding just a few books.

On your Nook, go to Library > My Files > Memory Card. If you see files in the "Lost.dir" folder, your card is scrambled. You mentioned manually loading books into the "Documents" folder. This is not the correct location. Calibre puts EPUB's into "My Files" > "Books" on the SD card.

At this point, I'd erase and/or reformat the SD card and start loading the books again. Reconvert EPUB to EPUB, load small batches of books and proceed slowly. Taking time on the front-end can save hours of frustration later on.

Marty

Last edited by MartyTX; 07-04-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Clarification of some items
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
misharsenal

@marty

Many Thanks

Great tips, and it makes sense

Btw - I use a Mac, not a PC, so all I can do is eject.

Also, the Lost Directory does show up as a file, so there must be an error

I'll try what you recommend today - i'll upload one book at a time, and then leave it for 20 minutes half an hour to let it load.

Should I eject it from my Macbook before it loads, or just leave it as it is for 20 mins, and then eject it?

Thanks alot guys!!

This forum is amazing!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
@marty

Btw - I use a Mac, not a PC, so all I can do is eject.
Also, the Lost Directory does show up as a file, so there must be an error

I'll try what you recommend today - i'll upload one book at a time, and then leave it for 20 minutes half an hour to let it load.

Should I eject it from my Macbook before it loads, or just leave it as it is for 20 mins, and then eject it?

This forum is amazing!
Mishal,

To clarify: the Nook creates an empty "Lost.dir" folder automatically. If it is not empty, an error has occurred. If it's empty, no files are corrupted.

Sequence should be:

1. Eject the Nook from your Macbook after you're done with all your loading.
2. Wake up the Nook. (I keep my Nook set to a 15 minute screensaver timeout so the Nook doesn't fall asleep again too soon).
3. Then let it sit so it can create book cover art and the folder/file structure.

I've seen several posts on sites that say that after a large book load, the book count in the library starts out low and then gradually increases. If you try to read a book during this timeperiod, there's a good chance that something will get scrambled. Also, during this timeperiod, books might not have covers, but they might appear later.

I've reloaded books because the covers did not appear. I'd then anxiously go to the library and check the book. Still no cover. Then, after giving up and waiting for a few minutes, the cover would appear. The Nook can be very finicky with SD cards!
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
misharsenal

@Marty

Thanks for the advice

I tried a few times - syncing through calibre one book at a time, and letting my nook rest with a 1 hour timeout - still no luck - only about 20 books are adding, and all error strewn files (Empty Book Cover with no title and author just a file name) - these same books work fine when sent to the device. Also tried it with 2 different SD cards.

I tried this a few times over the last 24 hours, but no luck

Very strange....

Does @Kovid have any ideas? I'm at a complete loss...

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am still puzzled. Do I have this correct?

You can manually add files to the reader and they are good but not manually add them to the sd card?

When you send them to the reader itself using Calibre they are good also?

No matter the method to get them there, when you use an sd card there is a problem?

If the above is correct, how are you formatting the sd cards?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #12
misharsenal

@geormes

Sorry, I'll make it clearer (it's all a jumble)

1. If I sent books to my nook main library from Calibre (Device Memory) - the books transfer over fine. All 300+ books in my library transfer with no issue (I have tested them in bunches of 80 at a time due to the limited space on the Nook for side loaded books)

2. These same books do not show up as book files on my Nook when sent to the SD card (out of 200+ that are not on my device, maybe 2-3 will show up on the SD Card). The remaining files have the nook default cover, but the file name is not The Title (followed by author one line below) - rather its just a file name (eg. Wonders_of_TheUniv whereas on my device Memory that book would show with the cover as Wonders of The Universe, and a line below Brian Cox (the author). When I open these file name based files, I get an error message that the Nook cannot open it.

3. I tried what Marty recommended above, giving it time to load, but that didn't work. I tried it a few times. Basically, I think there's an issue with the loading of the files onto the SD card (and I've tried a couple) and the way the Nook reads the SD card.

Again, every book, all of which have been formatted in Calibre work a dream on the device memory. On the SD card, a few might load (20% of what I want), but I only get like 2-3 readable books, and the rest that do load (of the 20% that transferred over), are the error strewn files.

What I should see it 319 books (80 on my device and 239 on my card) - what I end up seeing is the 80 on my device just fine, but the 239 on the memory card only 20-40 transfer over, and most of those are error strewn.

I've searched high and low but can't see a help thread for this anywhere ...

Luke, you are my only hope :-)

It's not a deal breaker, as I can always have enough books on my device, but I like to have all my library all the time.

Can anyone replicate this issue or is this only on my device?

PS -

1. The manual adding was just something I tried once to test it, I like to use Calibre as it keeps track of everything

2. I am formatting the memory card in the Nook itself by unmounting and then formatting. I get the OK signal everything with the SD card image and a check sign.

Thanks

Last edited by misharsenal; 07-07-2012 at 03:39 AM. Reason: More Info
Old 07-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
geormes
Groupie

Quote:
2. I am formatting the memory card in the Nook itself by unmounting and then formatting. I get the OK signal everything with the SD card image and a check sign.
I don't think Calibre has anything to do with your problem.

Does your Mac see the entire sd card or just a portion?

The 3 that I use successfully have been formatted before adding them to the ereaders. I just attach them with an sd to usb adapter to a usb slot on my pc and when windows recognizes the card I format with fat32.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
misharsenal

Thanks!

I just tried a new tactic

I was previously using 8GB cards (Sandisk and Kingston)

I just bought a 2 GB Sandisk SD, and touch wood, its working fine now

Everything is transferring over perfectly with the advice mentioned above

Let's hope that the 8GB was too large and slow - things seem to be okay with the 2GB - I'll update after 24 hours to make sure that things keep working,

Thanks again guys!!!!!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Thanks!

I just tried a new tactic

I was previously using 8GB cards (Sandisk and Kingston)

I just bought a 2 GB Sandisk SD, and touch wood, its working fine now

Everything is transferring over perfectly with the advice mentioned above

Let's hope that the 8GB was too large and slow - things seem to be okay with the 2GB - I'll update after 24 hours to make sure that things keep working,

Thanks again guys!!!!!
The Nook can easily use 8gb cards. As was asked previously did you format the cards using your computer?
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote