Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #31
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I actually like the look of the Nook Simple Touch - well, it's a little too square in appearance, but it has page turn buttons on the sides! and the concave back seems useful when holding it without a cover - but as it is, it would be pretty pointless for me to buy one.

Well, I guess I could get a memory card (once the measly 250 MB allowed for non-B&N content isn't enough) and just sideload everything, as I de-DRM and convert everything I buy anyway. If the Nook keeps the side page turn buttons and the Kindle doesn't put them back for the future touch models, I might just look into the local online shop that imports & sells Nooks in addition to other major brand readers.

I'm quite curious about Amazon's response to this, now, anyway. I would guess that if they already have something in the works, they might want to announce it sooner rather than later, preferably at least getting the announcement out before the Nook starts selling.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #32
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I will buy this. No more listening to not-so-subtle heavy sighs from the left side (the mean side, the chilly side) of the bed because I have my lamp on.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #33
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
My ST is working fine, but when it's time to replace it, I'll probably go with this model. I already have a nice book light that works very well and even if it didn't, I can't justify spending $140 to replace a $20 light!
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #34
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
(shrugs) Amazon is working on something similar. I am sure they will launch it soon. There are topics on this subject here.

I would not buy a new e-reader simply for a light like that but that is me. Kudos to BN to get it out on the market first.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #35
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Is a "built in" screen protector still a screen protector?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #36
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I know I am going to sound snobbish, but I'll wait till the Kindle version comes out and does it better. Sorry to all the Nook lovers.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #37
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
I know I am going to sound snobbish, but I'll wait till the Kindle version comes out and does it better. Sorry to all the Nook lovers.
What's wrong with the nook?
afv011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #38
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
What's the deal with the battery? Nook STR 60 hours (60 days, 1 hour/day) of reading, new Nook 30 hours (60 days 0,5 hours/day)without the light. That's odd!
That's with the light on. With the light off, it gets the same battery life. You still get weeks between charges, even when using the light.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
What's wrong with the nook?
Well, one issue with it is that it's only sold in the US, which means that 95% of the world's population can't buy it. Even you, in Canada, can't buy it, can you, unless you physically visit the US? (although obviously for you, in Vancouver, that's no big deal, I know.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #40
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, one issue with it is that it's only sold in the US, which means that 95% of the world's population can't buy it. Even you, in Canada, can't buy it, can you, unless you physically visit the US? (although obviously for you, in Vancouver, that's no big deal, I know.)
I don't think what he said was along the lines of availability. He said "the Kindle version comes out and does it better", so I am genuinely interested in knowing what the Kindle does better than the nook that would be worth for somebody to potentially wait several months for the equivalent Kindle, other than being heavily invested in mobi.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #41
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi
What's the deal with the battery? Nook STR 60 hours (60 days, 1 hour/day) of reading, new Nook 30 hours (60 days 0,5 hours/day)without the light. That's odd!
That's with the light on. With the light off, it gets the same battery life. You still get weeks between charges, even when using the light.
It is 30 hours with the light off (60 days@1/2 hour), 15 hours with the light on (30 days@1/2 hour).

From B&N page:
Quote:
With GlowLight on at the default brightness setting, a single charge will last over 1 month with wireless off based on ½ hour of daily reading and a 1 page refresh per minute. A single charge lasts over 2 months with wireless off and GlowLight off based on ½ hour of daily reading time and 1 page refresh per minute.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #42
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
The other thing that's rather disingenuous is using the price of the non ad-supported Kindle Touch, which almost nobody buys. The "normal" price of the Kindle Touch is $99.

As you say, a screen protector is completely unnecessary for the Kindle.
"which almost nobody buys"

Really? What is your source for this statement?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
"which almost nobody buys"

Really? What is your source for this statement?
The fact that, to the best of my knowledge, no stores in the US sell the Kindle without ads, and you have to look very, VERY hard on "amazon.com" to find any mention of the fact that non ad-supported versions even exist.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #44
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
The fact that, to the best of my knowledge, no stores in the US sell the Kindle without ads, and you have to look very, VERY hard on "amazon.com" to find any mention of the fact that non ad-supported versions even exist.
Isn't that why they introduced the $30 fee to remove the ads and turn the ad version into the non-ad version, so that they wouldn't need to manage both versions at retail?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #45
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
No, you don't have to look very, VERY hard to find the non-ad version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 9.52.11 AM.png
Views:	243
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	85240  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote