Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
zkat
zkat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Update: I left it charging overnight (~13-14 hours). I just tried everything again, and there's been no change at all. No usb0 device, no /dev/sd* available.

I also tried fiddling with it on my windows partition, and windows is recognizing the device (like linux is), as a mass storage USB device. It even assigns a drive number to it, but the drive is not mounted or accessible any way I can see. It's definitely there in Devices and Printers, though, as Amazon Kindle.

I checked the device managed for USB/HID, but it doesn't show up in the list of Human Interface Devices.

I saw a thread about hooking up to the serial usb interface, but everything just went way over my head, and I can't seem to find any info on how to open up the kindle.
zkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post
Update: I left it charging overnight (~13-14 hours). I just tried everything again, and there's been no change at all. No usb0 device, no /dev/sd* available.

I also tried fiddling with it on my windows partition, and windows is recognizing the device (like linux is), as a mass storage USB device. It even assigns a drive number to it, but the drive is not mounted or accessible any way I can see. It's definitely there in Devices and Printers, though, as Amazon Kindle.

I checked the device managed for USB/HID, but it doesn't show up in the list of Human Interface Devices.

I saw a thread about hooking up to the serial usb interface, but everything just went way over my head, and I can't seem to find any info on how to open up the kindle.
I have seen the kindle USB drive show up as a 0-byte device (viewable in the windows Disk Manager) sometimes. Look in Device Manager. What size is the Kindle drive?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #18
zkat

I don't see anything I would recognize as the kindle in the Disk Management utility (the one used to format drives)

EDIT: Correction: It shows up as Disk 4 Removable (F, but it says 'No Media'. Checking its properties, I see 'Status: No Media, Capacity/Unallocated/Reserved: 0 MB'.

Last edited by zkat; 01-29-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #19
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't see anything I would recognize as the kindle in the Disk Management utility (the one used to format drives)

EDIT: Correction: It shows up as Disk 4 Removable (F, but it says 'No Media'. Checking its properties, I see 'Status: No Media, Capacity/Unallocated/Reserved: 0 MB'.
I saw that on mine at one time. I think charging it overnight fixed it that time. If it were mine, I would connect to the serial port, but that needs delicate soldering skills with good equipment. Do you know any electronics nerds?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #20
zkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Do you know any electronics nerds?
Not any that live anywhere near me
Old 01-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #21
geekmaster

Quote:
Not any that live anywhere near me
To fix it with software only, you need to be able to write files to the USB drive, if only briefly.

Otherwise, the touch can be forced into usb/hid mode, but we do not yet know how to use that to our advantage. It is being researched.

The best option at this time is using the serial port.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #22
zkat

Quote:
To fix it with software only, you need to be able to write files to the USB drive, if only briefly.

Otherwise, the touch can be forced into usb/hid mode, but we do not yet know how to use that to our advantage. It is being researched.

The best option at this time is using the serial port.
Well, I guess that means I'll have to get a new one. I can't really send it back after jailbreaking it, even if I only used it for an hour or so

I wish I knew what went wrong, too. I don't really want to have a kindle if I can't get rid of some parts of the system, but I'm afraid I'll just permabrick the second one, too. :P

Edit: I did see specific usb/serial cables mentioned in some places. Would I still need to be able to solder to get serial port access if I got one of those?

The other question is... even if I manage to get through into the serial port (which might not work, either), what could be causing a brick this severe, and could I even fix it? Do you think the flash memory got messed up with an unsafe unmount/eject?

Last edited by zkat; 01-29-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #23
geekmaster

A touch actually has a serial connector inside. I soldered to mine, but you can buy the parts to make a cable using a cable. The shipping costs more than the parts. You can buy a bag of 10 or 50 of them, with big discounts for larger amounts. You need to order the sockets and the plastic plug separately, and the special tool costs $300, but you can hack them together. Hondamarlboro shows pictures of hacked connectors at his website (linked in posts on this forum).

The k4nt needs delicate soldering, but the touch is easier (especially if you use the connectors).
Old 01-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #24
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Sorry to hijack in here but as I'm really nervous I had to post here:
My KT was doing great until tonight that this thing happened!
I simply copied the Remove Add GUI extension from here (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164261), then with usbnetwork issued 'restart framework' command.

Now My KT doesn't even even restart (I mean the progress bar doesn't show up at all!!!), wth? Here is what I do: unplug USB cable, LED is obviously off, press it, LED goes green, after 3 seconds it blinks twice then goes off, then it doesn't matter if I hold it for 20 seconds or 10 minute or whatever, LED is just off and nothing happens UNTIL I let go, then the screen refreshes (or maybe this is start of a reset, I don't know!) At this time, I quickly attach USB cable and I can see it shows up as a Removable Disk for less than even a second and disappears! and then nothing happens!!!

Also, I'm on Windows 7 32bit, and this device is fully charged and it was working like a champ but ahhhhh damn!
Please help!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 01-30-2012 at 12:05 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #25
zkat

Oh well. Anyone want a completely bricked brand-spanking-new kindle touch for a fraction of the cost? Only used for a couple of hours! (Specially if it's any help to devs. Recovering the expense would be nice, though)
Old 01-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #26
hiit
hiit began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi zkat, I sent you a pm.
hiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:08 AM   #27
zkat

I think it's stuck in USB/HID mode now. Heh.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:33 AM   #28
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

cscat, find some Linux PC, attach Kindle to its USB and follow geekmaster's advice on loading something to Kindle's USB drive. Don't put there "sleep 1", though, as your device seems to expose USB drive for only short amount of time.

Then we can try to use data.tar.gz hack to first get the log and then to find out what's wrong.
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #29
geekmaster

In some cases, the USB Drive shows up as only 0-bytes long, so you cannot put anything on it. That just means that it is not exported correctly at that stage of booting. If it crashed later in the boot process, the full USB Drive and its contents would be visible.

If you boot far enough to have access to the USB Drive, you should be able to use data.tar.gz to examine and repair it.

On my k4nt, it is stuck in USB HID mode because part of the MMC flash storage got somehow corrupted, so it no longer has a valid serial number and board ID. The u-boot bootloader says that it cannot initialize the hardware for an unknown board type, so it drops into USB HID mode.

There is work in progress by devs to figure out how repair a kindle using USB HID mode.

So there is hope. You may want to hold off on discarding your bricked kindle and wait for a USB HID solution.

It might be a long wait, so I my case I purchases another k4nt to replace my bricked one. I would do the same for my touch if I brick that "beyond repair by current known methods".
Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #30
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
In some cases, the USB Drive shows up as only 0-bytes long, so you cannot put anything on it. That just means that it is not exported correctly at that stage of booting. If it crashed later in the boot process, the full USB Drive and its contents would be visible.

If you boot far enough to have access to the USB Drive, you should be able to use data.tar.gz to examine and repair it.

On my k4nt, it is stuck in USB HID mode because part of the MMC flash storage got somehow corrupted, so it no longer has a valid serial number and board ID. The u-boot bootloader says that it cannot initialize the hardware for an unknown board type, so it drops into USB HID mode.

There is work in progress by devs to figure out how repair a kindle using USB HID mode.

So there is hope. You may want to hold off on discarding your bricked kindle and wait for a USB HID solution.

It might be a long wait, so I my case I purchases another k4nt to replace my bricked one. I would do the same for my touch if I brick that "beyond repair by current known methods".
geekmaster: By data.tar.gz. are you referring to: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=84 ?
There is no runme.sh file in it? but I think as you said, if I can run a shell code and undo those logging changes, my Touch should come alive!

Also, is there any way for me to completely shut this thing down (black screen)? I don't know somehow to discharge the whole battery or ...? This way I will be sure that it actually reboots.

Also zkat, I think the main reason for this is disabling logging (damn it!) because I did the same thing... so, for reference of others, I absolutely recommend NOT meddling with those configs (or be really suspicious about them)!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 01-30-2012 at 02:31 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote