Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #31
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Hmmmm. London Book Fair's still six months away (mid-April '08); could be a critical period for others (Cybook, Amazon - maybe even Apple's "iPad"??) to get their acts together.

Or do you think it's just a 'spoiler' from Sony to knock back anyone thinking of a Cybook for Christmas?

Whatever, interesting times
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Once factor that's going to be a big deal is price. A lot of people a grumbling over the EU price for the Cybook and it's not yet released.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM   #33
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Once factor that's going to be a big deal is price. A lot of people a grumbling over the EU price for the Cybook and it's not yet released.
Forgive me if I'm wrong Jon but in Europe taxes are set in the price. When you factor in US taxes doesn't it amount to about the same? Here in Canada it's 15.025% plus 2.6% for foreign electronics, that comes to roughly $410.00CAD; Canadian dollar is at parity with US these days. What would the total price come up to in the States, like your State for example?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the price here in Massachusetts is $350 and I get it from a vendor in Massachusetts then we get charged %5 sales take for a cost of $367.50. But, if I was to rder one online from a vendor who does not have a presence in Massachusetts, then I don't have to pay sales tax. Just shipping. But a lot of vendors don't charge shipping if I spend enough so maybe just $350 would be the cost. Worst case would be adding shipping which would cost less then sales tax.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #35
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgreader View Post
Do you think they'll let us onto eConnect store then? Or do you reckon it will be only US and UK residents??

I hate that something fierce. I don't know how to get stuff onto my eReader!!!
Send me a PM if you want, we can arrange a paypal exchange and I'll give you a giftcode you can redeem at the Connect store to buy books.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #36
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
If the price here in Massachusetts is $350 and I get it from a vendor in Massachusetts then we get charged %5 sales take for a cost of $367.50. But, if I was to rder one online from a vendor who does not have a presence in Massachusetts, then I don't have to pay sales tax. Just shipping. But a lot of vendors don't charge shipping if I spend enough so maybe just $350 would be the cost. Worst case would be adding shipping which would cost less then sales tax.
On that note, we in the US just dodged a bullet: Congress has postponed (again) a resolution to force all states to charge sales taxes for all online sales, not just the state from which you are ordering (if the store is in the same state as you). It will probably come up again, but most likely sometime after the elections are over.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #37
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
It's a good thing too!
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #38
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

sony, a company with an actual machine for sale, makes an announcement
_6_months_in_advance_ when that machine will be available in a new place.

yet somehow, people here expect amazon will drop a machine _this_month_
here in the u.s., yet amazon hasn't issued _one_peep_ to the press about it?

i don't know where you guys get your drugs, but i sure _wish_ i did...

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:53 PM   #39
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post
sony, a company with an actual machine for sale, makes an announcement
_6_months_in_advance_ when that machine will be available in a new place.

yet somehow, people here expect amazon will drop a machine _this_month_
here in the u.s., yet amazon hasn't issued _one_peep_ to the press about it?

i don't know where you guys get your drugs, but i sure _wish_ i did...

-bowerbird
Sony didn't announce. It was leaked.

But you are correct in that they leaked it on purpose.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:04 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
But, if my understanding of US tax system is correct (which it may not be!), wouldn't you have to pay the equivalent of sales tax as "use tax", anyway?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #41
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But, if my understanding of US tax system is correct (which it may not be!), wouldn't you have to pay the equivalent of sales tax as "use tax", anyway?
That's true but nobody does it and most people do not know that it's required, though some states started to put a special line on the tax-form to ask specifically about that. Since it cannot be enforced (as opposed to RIAA, the state politicians need to be reelected after all, so they cannot target 100 people out of millions at random ), the "remedy" is to pass a "uniformization" rule that would impose on the vendor the requirement to collect the tax irrespective of location, the way physical retailers do it.

Until now, the big online only retailers that do not charge tax so benefit immensely (Ebay, Amazon) fought successfully the uniformization rule, while Wal Mart, Target, B&N and others that have nexus everywhere started fighting hard for the tax to "level the playing field"
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
That's true but nobody does it and most people do not know that it's required, though some states started to put a special line on the tax-form to ask specifically about that. Since it cannot be enforced (as opposed to RIAA, the state politicians need to be reelected after all, so they cannot target 100 people out of millions at random ), the "remedy" is to pass a "uniformization" rule that would impose on the vendor the requirement to collect the tax irrespective of location, the way physical retailers do it.

Until now, the big online only retailers that do not charge tax so benefit immensely (Ebay, Amazon) fought successfully the uniformization rule, while Wal Mart, Target, B&N and others that have nexus everywhere started fighting hard for the tax to "level the playing field"
I agree with you that paying sales tax regardless of where you buy from would be the sensible option, but I'm a bit puzzled about why use tax can't be enforced. Why can't the IRS (or whoever it is that's responsible for it) simply take a random sampling of sales records from retailers and check to see if the customer has declared the amount for use tax? That's the way that the authorities do VAT checks here.

Surely a massive amount of tax evasion is going on if what you say is true (and I'm certainly not doubting you!). I'm amazed that the government is willing to let that much revenue go uncollected!

It used to be the case that online sales didn't have to charge VAT here, but the EU closed that "loophole" some years ago. If a company is now registered any in the EU (as, for example, eBay and Amazon are), they have to charge customers VAT for any online transaction.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #43
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
A resident of one State does not have to pay taxes of an other State.
In Canada a resident from a Province does not have to pay taxes of an other Province also but there is a base Federal tax of 6.5%.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Use tax is not paying the taxes of another state. It's being honest enough to pay the taxes of your own state for goods purchased outside it.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #45
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree with you that paying sales tax regardless of where you buy from would be the sensible option, but I'm a bit puzzled about why use tax can't be enforced. Why can't the IRS (or whoever it is that's responsible for it) simply take a random sampling of sales records from retailers and check to see if the customer has declared the amount for use tax? That's the way that the authorities do VAT checks here.
It's federalism at work. We have no national sales tax. Sales taxes are state taxes, and state governments only have the right to levy taxes on transactions that occur within their state. Further, the US constitution explicitly prohibits states from taxing or regulating interstate commerce. That is strictly the purview of the federal government.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote