Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
levinthan9
levinthan9 began at the beginning.

Device: PC
PDF Output Questions

Hi all,

First, I would like to say to all people contribution for this great software, especially Kovid Goyal.

I have a question regarding to my EPUB books. I'm trying to convert a few EPUB books to PDF format. I got great success with some already. The "link detection" of new Calibre is awesome.

However, I still have a small problem with some files.

One is the right indent that "cut" text, check out the pic below. I tried multiple setting already but no luck. Although other books have no problem, just a few. Like 30% of my EPUB got this problem.
Second is there are many books that the contents' links are not recognized, and unclickable. Even the EPUB file works great with links, the PDF outfile file's links are unclickable.

I have tried all setting and options already Hopefully someone can help me out.

Really appreciate. Nice day.

Spoiler:

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-15-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Put oversized graphics in spoilers
levinthan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by levinthan9 View Post
One is the right indent that "cut" text, check out the pic below. I tried multiple setting already but no luck. Although other books have no problem, just a few. Like 30% of my EPUB got this problem.
This is a calibre viewer issue not a conversion issue. Kovid has responded many times, here is one of his responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Go to preferences and change the font to times new roman or arial.
If my answers in this post aren't in the ballpark then follow the directions in the sticky post at the top of this forum titled: How to ask a question about conversion problems.

Quote:
Second is there are many books that the contents' links are not recognized, and unclickable.
Are you talking about viewing these in calibre's viewer? If so stop using this viewer for PDF files. Go to Preferences - Behavior and uncheck the box next to PDF in the Use internal viewer for window.

Calibre's viewer is essentially a ePub viewer all files are converted to a basic epub format prior to being opened in the viewer. Since conversions from PDF to epub do not support links, when Calibre does a quick and dirty conversion from PDF to epub for viewing the links do not work. You are advised to use a PDF viewer such as Adobe Reader instead.

Quote:
Even the EPUB file works great with links, the PDF outfile file's links are unclickable.
What version of calibre are you using? In theory links in books being converted to PDF are supported as of 0.9.13. Again if you're talking about calibre's viewer, don't use it to view PDF files.

Quote:
Release: 0.9.13 [04 Jan, 2013]

New Features
  • Complete rewrite of the PDF Output engine, to support links and fix various bugs calibre now has a new PDF output engine that supports links in the text. It also fixes various bugs, detailed below. In order to implement support for links and fix these bugs, the engine had to be completely rewritten, so there may be some regressions.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-14-2013 at 09:45 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
levinthan9

Thank you so much DoctorOhh. However, I'm having issue with the conversion, not calibre viewer. I even tried to open the PDF with newest Adobe Reader X and Nitro PDF Pro. The PDF file got cut for the last character as the picture shown. This happen for a few EPUB input files, could it be a font issue? I tried to set the margin right but still no luck.

And the problem with PDF links. I'm using newest 0.9.27. So far here I have 2/5 EPUB files that have problem with links after converted to PDF. And again, I tried with several PDF readers already, so it's not the problem with Calibre Viewer. The output PDF file just doesn't have links even the EPUB does. This's really weird.

Again, I really appreciate your help.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have a feeling that I have seen elsewhere comments mentioning that Calibre does not support links in conversion to PDF
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
levinthan9

Hi itimpi.

Yes it didn't support, but it does now. Newest Calibre can recognize links in EPUB and convert them to linkable in a PDF file. I got great success with some, however, there are still a few couldn't make it.
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Conversion to PDF uses the viewer internally, so yes the fonts problem is the same. Change the fonts in the book and/or the PDF Output options.

As for links not working, you need to provide a sample epub demonstrating the issue when converted.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote