Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
Ilkyway
Enthusiast
Ilkyway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ilkyway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ilkyway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 505
Another Bateri-issue

Hello at all,
I am new to E-Reader and habe a Sony 505 for 7 Days now. At first everything seemed to be okey, but now the Baterie is realy awfull: Yesterday Mornig I started the day with e compleet full Batarie, I read abeout 50 Pages throughout the Day and at Dinnertime I had one bar of Bateriepower left.
The E-book I am reading has the ending .pdf and I read it in "large".
What I did to the divice is: I updated the german-firmware to the US-Version so I coud youse the Personiser-Sorftware that is talked abaout a lot in this forum. I did flash the software and I juse the Clock wich shows in the left botten corner.
I am not jusing the mp3-Player and when I put the device away for some Time (maybe two houers or so) I don`t shut it down not even standby. But still: About 50 Pages and just 24 hours of Baterie? For todays moning it was totaly emty. Is there anything that could explain this or is my reader defect?
Thanks for helbping, Ilkyway
Ilkyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Check that clock is on update when page turned rather than "tick" because every time update counts as a page update and your battery just drains like water...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Ilkyway
Enthusiast
Ilkyway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ilkyway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ilkyway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you for that advice, I have checked and my clock only "updates" when I chance a page.
Put another thought acured to me: I don`t shut the device down, when I don`t read, reason beeing, that I red it need onley power to actualy turn a page. Therefor it should not eat up that much energie if it lys down for an houer or two with a page open, right?
But from today 11 o clock till now i lost one bar, reading just 20 Pages and letting it lay with open page the rest of the time.
Ilkyway
Old 02-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Ilkyway
Enthusiast

Tonight the device was totaly empty again. Means: Batterylife for only about 12 houers. In the evening I turned the sleep Mode on again, thinking it might do some good. But the device did not got to sleep. Is there anything that could work constantly in the background what prevents the sleep mode? From the personizer Software I now turnt the Clock of and sett the language to english instet of german. But in my opinion that should not have to do anything with sleep mode or baterielive. What do you think?

Ilkyway
Old 03-01-2010, 02:20 AM   #5
Ilkyway
Enthusiast

I don't know if I should open a new topic: it seems to be the problem, that after my medling with the firmware and personizer the device can not go to seep mode anymore. The Power-Botten does not work anymore and somthing takes so much anergie, that the Battery does not last for longer than 12 hours. So now I think it is not the baterie that is in poor shape but some softwarproblem that occupies to much prozessor-power.

Anybody here who can help abaut that? Or does that require a new topic?
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 04:08 AM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Ilkyway, I know it can be frustrating.

I've been searching the forums for something like this, but haven't found anything yet. Hopefully, someone can give a suggestion.

I know that pdf files that need to have the font changed use more battery power than a page turn does on my 505. I prefer to not use pdf files.

You should slide the switch to put it in standby when you are not reading, especially at night... You said it doesn't go into standby mode now? Have you tried sliding and holding the switch for 30 seconds? Also, just slide it on and off about 5 times? Sometimes it will correct its self.

Did you chose the One-key shutdown (Joypad center key / Volume keys) option when you installed the Customizer?

Hopefully, another member will have an idea. I'll keep searching. The only other thing I found was the clock problem, but you already checked that.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
But one thing you haven't mentioned is whether or not you are using a memory card or SD card? they really drain the battery quickly.

One other possible concern -- you say you don't shut the device off when you're not reading it. Despite what Sony says about it only needing power when it turns the page I think you might consider turning it off (just a quick flick of the on/off switch to turn off the display and not the full power-down that comes from pushing and holding the on/off switch.)

On my 505, where I haven't flashed the memory or made any modification, I only need to recharge every 3 weeks or so. That means that something is horribly wrong with your device, and I suspect it may have to do with the reflashing. To test it, try turning the clock off completely and see if that changes anything.

Last edited by dhbailey; 03-01-2010 at 06:42 AM.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
Ilkyway
Enthusiast

Thank you both of you for your concern. I'm realy frustratet here. Before I messed with the software everything seemed to be fine. Today morning I tried to do this custumizer-software thinking something might have gone wrong the first time. Now the powerswitch works again to put the divice in sleep mode. But I am quite shure that before all this the device put its selve to sleep when not yoused all by its selve. That does not work anymor. And as you said I red that about pdf-files needing more batterypower as other books. But Power for less than a Day? That cant be right, can it?
I am so hoping to find a solution because apart from that I love e-reading. I never thought I'd exence books for anything but e-reading is so compftable in so many ways.

Hoping and searching, yours Ilkyway
Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
Ilkyway
Enthusiast

Okay, i have tried everything I can think of. I was reading from the internal memory all the time. But I put out the SD card anyway. I flashed the customizer-Softwar again. But still: from 12:00 till now one bar of batterypower is gone.
I am so frustrated. But I think I have to exchange the device. But can I do that since I changed the firmware from the german one to the amarican one? If anybody knows a someware to download the german firmware i would be happy put my reader back in the original form. But if not, I try exchanging it with the new firmware. Does anybody know if this "updating" lost me my warranty?

greatings Ilkyway
Old 03-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Are you charging from the usb port or from an AC adapter? Charging from usb is problematic. As soon as you plug it in, the reader will indicate a full charge, despite not being fully charged. If you are charging from usb, you might not be getting the full charge that you think you have. I would try to charge from an AC adapter before I sent it back. Any adapter for the PSP will work. You can find them for under $10 (U.S.), not sure what that is in Euros.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
Ilkyway
Enthusiast

@ Zipr, thanks for your advice, I have red about the problematic of usb charging here in the forum. But for nearly four days i got less than 12 hours out of one full charge (usb, because I don´t have another charger jet)
But after my last post I did the firmware-updater again, because I did not know how to get rid of the costemizersoftware. I am not totaly shur jet, but from than till now I did not louse any bar of battery. So I´ll will wait till tomorrow but I am pretty shure that somthing did not work with that customizer-software.
That would be better than a defect device, but I liked my 505 to be customized.
I will tell you if getting rid of this software did the trick, but for now it looks like it.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #12
Ilkyway
Enthusiast

So, twelve hours after my last post it is clear: my battery-problems where caused by the customizersoftware. Since yesterday 2:30 pm till now I did not lose one bar. Before getting rid of the customizer a full battery lost all its power within less than 12 hours and the device could not enter sleep mode by it selve. Now it can do so.
I think this threat has full filled its purpus. Now I will think about how and where (and even if I want to) solve the problem with the customizersoftware.
I am a bit angry with myselve, that alrady have donated for the customizer. But it may bee, that I get to run this thing with some help.

Thanks for your tips and your patients, Ilkyway
Old 03-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
It is not clear which customizer software you are using. There are a couple; PRS+ and PRSCustomizer. I'm happily using PRS+.

You might want to give it another try. There are lots of us using a customized interface with no problems. There should be a new version of PRS+ coming out today with a new installer.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #14
Ilkyway
Enthusiast

Oh thank you, I thought there was just one. The downloadfile from the one I was using is called: prscust-1.04-win so that seems to be the PRScustomizer?
I miss the clock and the different fontcizes of the titels are getting on my nerves. I will think about it if I am brave enoufe to try it again.

Ilkyway
Old 03-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
Oh thank you, I thought there was just one. The downloadfile from the one I was using is called: prscust-1.04-win so that seems to be the PRScustomizer?
I miss the clock and the different fontcizes of the titels are getting on my nerves. I will think about it if I am brave enoufe to try it again.
I agree with Zipr, there have been thousands of us using prscust-1.04-win (PRScustomizer) without anyone having this problem. I currently use PRS+ which has most all of the hacks in PRScustomizer and adds quite a bit more.

It may have been a program you left on your SD card that was autostarting???? I am glad your working again. Obviously something must have gone wrong.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote