Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
The Kindle's success - all bluff?

Alright, a statement we've already heard before with no meaningful results, so take it with a grain of salt. Or a whole salt lick, actually. This time around, there is this guy from Seeking Alpha (a well-respected financial blog network), Prashanth Cherukuri, who makes no secret of being short in Amazon stock (i.e. betting on a decline to get a lot of money out of it), and who believes that everything we've heard so far about the Kindle's success is nothing but a fairy tale.

Quote:
It is very obvious that Amazon's Kindle is a huge flop. In six months of traveling, I am yet to see a single person on any bus, train or plane with a Kindle in their hands. Contrast that with the iPod or iPhone or even the Sansa, where people can actually be seen using them everywhere.

Kindle isn't going to take off. Yes, there will always be technophiles and other early adopters that get one because it's new or somehow cool. But regardless of whether the Kindle succeeds or fizzles, the buzz-induced sales ramp will look about the same at this early a stage.
Find the full article over here.

Related: Amazon Kindle projections overrated?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I'm a bit sick of all these statements about the Kindle sales, potential success, potential flop...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
So he hasn't seen anyone with the Kindle during his traveling? Big deal. Perhaps it is because the Kindle is less of a travel device than the iPod. -- Personally, I read most of my books at home, sitting on a sofa or in the garten. And I promise you: this guy will never see me with a Kindle in my hands... because he will never be near my house.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Not everyone has their reader with them and pulls it out all the time in public. There are lots of people who don't sit on public transport with a book (for example).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #5
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not everyone has their reader with them and pulls it out all the time in public. There are lots of people who don't sit on public transport with a book (for example).
Maybe its because the kindle doesn't look cool from the casing. I like to show of with my iLiad to impress the chicks

Successrate? Hmm... well don't ask...
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
Successrate? Hmm... well don't ask...
Hmmm At least from an aesthetic point of view, the iLiad is certainly a head turner (if you don't believe it, try to impress a girl with the Kindle...).

Maybe you just haven't met the right one yet...

Click image for larger version

Name:	250_medium_chloe24.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	14008
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Well I have to admit that from the author's perspective and his own measuring unit ($ sales) he is 100% correct. Kindle won't generate any sort of significant revenue or profits for Amazon any time soon.

Also notice the comparison to iPod! His expectations are for millions of devices sold for millions or revenue. He is using a very high standard, as opposed to most readers here having much more modest expectations.

So for a financial analyst who cares about revenu and profits first and foremost the Kindle is a failure. Yep. Simpe.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
As stated he has a vested, or in this case an invested, interest in Amazon doing badly. He needs it to do badly and so he sees what he wants. No big deal, we all cull the anecdotal evidence we need to support our arguments and point of view.

On a different track share prices are very sentiment driven and if his blog is well read he could help drive the price down and so make money. I think the investment term is "trash and cash".
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Hmmm At least from an aesthetic point of view, the iLiad is certainly a head turner (if you don't believe it, try to impress a girl with the Kindle...).

Maybe you just haven't met the right one yet...

Well, I'm a girl and whenever my Kindle is out the guys come around asking questions about it (not the women so far, hmmm). I've given so many demos, I should be on Amazon's payroll.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Right... I haven't seen another Sony Reader in the wild too. Maybe because I myself ain't too keen to pull out my reader in a crowded space because you won't get much reading done when everyone's gasping at you, wondering what that thing is?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Well, I'm a girl and whenever my Kindle is out the guys come around asking questions about it (not the women so far, hmmm). I've given so many demos, I should be on Amazon's payroll.
The same thing happens to me with my Sony Reader.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Last month, I flew with Singapore Airlines to NYC. During the flight, three female flight assistants gathered around me (much to my girlfriend's dismay), showing a lot of genuine interest in my Sony Reader, and asking very specific questions (how much built-in memory does it have, where can you purchase the e-books, how long does the battery last, etc.). They all said they had to get one as soon as they got some time off.

Yes, the Sony Reader can impress girls.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #13
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Well I'm a guy and I've demoed all of my readers (Sony PRS-500/505, iLiad, Cybook) dozens of times. Guys, girls, young, old...

Soon enough I'll demo my own device instead, I'll be even more glad to provide a demo ;-)
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #14
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've never seen an iPod or an iPhone *ever*, they must be a massive failure, Apple will be going under any day now ... seriously.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #15
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Compiler Error. Global variables "success" and "failure" have not been defined but an attempt has been made to use them in a boolean operation.

I recall a lot of dire predictions about the iPod when it was first released because it was Mac only, excluded Windows, firewire only, people wouldn't settle for degraded MP3 quality, nobody needs to carry that many songs with them. I did a search and found an example:
http://lowendmac.com/musings/01/1024.html

If iPod and iTunes sales are the benchmark that he is measuring success against then yes I agree it will be a failure against that criteria. It's easy to predict failure if you have unreasonable success criteria.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle, seeking alpha