Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
The ever-expanding smartphone screen: how supersized became everyday

"The ever-expanding smartphone screen: how supersized became everyday"

By Jon Fingas posted Mar 1st, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Engadget

"We almost need a reminder that much of the smartphone's development before 2007 reflected a drive to shrink the phone, not make it bigger."

Article

There is always an evolution.
There was a time when phones were becoming smaller.
There was the time of the eReader.
Then the 2nd coming of the Tablet.
Then the phones became larger.
Then the eReaders became larger and more like tablets.
Finally the Tablets became smaller.

It becomes more and more difficult to tell what a device is now days by its size.
Is it a mini iPad or is it a maxi Note?

At least we don't have to worry about the "supersizing" of phones making us fat.

Is it a bird, or a SeaKing, or a plane, or is it speeding device evolution?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's why I stick with my iPhone 4. I don't want a larger phone.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Smartphones are getting bigger but the center of gravity of the Tablet market is moving to smaller. And small tablets are becoming phones just as big phones are becoming tablets.
With voice recgnition and bluetooth peripherals (headsets, watches, glasses?) phablets are becoming a viable compromise.
Neither sector is done evolving.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Son got a Galaxy S3 this past week. In its nearly indestructible case it is humongous compared to my Incredible 2 phone. I'm not sure I want a behemoth of that size. his phone doesn't fit into a pants pocket anymore.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Are phones getting bigger on average, or are we starting to notice the bigger phones because there are more smartphones out there (thus more large smart phones)? Does this perception exist because it is easier to notice bigger phones, since small phones are less noticeable and easily confused with feature phones? People also tend to talk about the models with higher specifications. Those impressed by gargantuan screen sizes will clearly bias perceptions, but even a faster processor creates an upwards pressure on size so people talking about those models will bias perceptions.

I bring this up for a couple of reasons: the article was more concerned about model releases and, periodically, the number sold of a particular model. These are not overall market statistics, so they are meaningless. The second reason is that there are plenty of smaller smartphones on the market, some of which are smaller than the original iPhone. That seems to indicate that there exists a not-so-often discussed demand for smaller phones. Perhaps the demand is high enough that they dominate the market.
Advert
Old 03-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
The thing is, smartphones really aren't phones. They are small tablets that fit in your pocket. Making phone calls is just another app.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The HTC Universal was 5" back in 2005. I had a 3.6" phone in 2006, the size of that device was actually larger than today's 5 inchers. 5" phones easily fit into a man's front pockets of even the tightest jeans.

But I actually went back to 4.5" because I liked the new phone so much, would be great if it was 1/2 larger, of course. But now that I have a tablet I don't use the phone so much. And yes, Iguana is right, making calls is just a minor function of today's smart phones, so 3.5" is almost unusable. And why should I do that to my eyes when a larger phone handles so well?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I could handle something bigger than my 4.3 inch Archos which I use as a small tablet.
My Kindle is 6 inches and even if I take away the keyboard and big bezel, it would be too large for my pocket.
So the question in my mind is how much larger than a 5 incher would be practical to carry?
This of course assumes a small bezel and of course some compromise on aspect ratio.

Frankly, I kind of like these kinds of choices.

My bet is on a 5 incher being the most acceptable for the majority of users.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
The thing is, smartphones really aren't phones. They are small tablets that fit in your pocket. Making phone calls is just another app.
This is very true, for me at least. I use my iPhone 5 fifteen or twenty times every day but might only make 5-6 phone calls a week!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
This is very true, for me at least. I use my iPhone 5 fifteen or twenty times every day but might only make 5-6 phone calls a week!

Stitchawl
I use mine the same, the phone is secondary.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I want a smaller phone but at the moment I can't decide which one to get. I was thinking of getting one of the Nokia Lumia's.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl
Likewise. I use mine purely as a pocket computer. I probably make one phone call a month, if that. But that doesn't change the fact that I want something that I can easily carry in my pocket, not a tablet. That's why my iPhone gets 10x as much usage as my iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Have to agree with Harry on that. I have my first smart phone in my life and I could have chosen a larger screen like the new Samsung, but for me the 4 inch screen is good enough and a great form factor for most things you need for phone apps and browsing by phone. Have even read a novel or two on it already in the couple of months that I have had it:

have a blue tooth keyboard I usually use with My nexus 7, but t I also take with me if I need to really type an email that is long with my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's why I stick with my iPhone 4. I don't want a larger phone.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Likewise. I use mine purely as a pocket computer. I probably make one phone call a month, if that. But that doesn't change the fact that I want something that I can easily carry in my pocket, not a tablet. That's why my iPhone gets 10x as much usage as my iPad.
I also use my phone mostly for non-phone related tasks (such as typing this post). For some people, the four inch or smaller phone works. My husband can't ever see using a phone much bigger than his 2.3 inch comet. He thinks my phone is huge. However, I think the market (especially Android) has shifted to bigger phones because it is easier to do tasks like go on the internet, read an ebook, play games, etc. on a bigger screen. There will probably always be small screen phones but I think 4.5 inches or larger will be the norm for most phones because I think most people want bigger screens.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
When at work do not have phone attached to belt.
Safe location is shirt pocket.
4 1/2 inch best size for pocket.
Keep phone clean, dry in zip plastic bag.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote