Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #61
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I have the same problem using mobi2html. The attached image is from a converted .prc (made using "proper" Mobi tools) uploaded by Harry here. I added the .jpg extension.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	record-546.jpg
Views:	1087
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	8546  
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #62
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Did you check to see if the table of content worked for the exploded Joan of Arc? It did not work in Linux. It seems that the coded data contains Ctrl-M and these are note counted in the file position. I can easily solve it by removing the but i wondered if file ending convention is defined i a MobiPocket file?

I think i have fixed the image bug and I have tried to fix the cover image issues. I will just try to get the TOC to work properly and will do a new version since the corrupted image bug was so serious (forgot to do binmode on a filehandle...).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #63
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
However, the image was not registered as the cover image (e.g. Windows MobiPocket Reader does not have a cover page entry under the contents icon and does not show a thumbnail of the cover image in its eBooks library view).
I have tried to fix this and other issues in 0.0.18 (which is available as a tar file). I will later today test it under Windows and build new Windows binaries.

Quote:
On the other hand, mobi2html.exe created corrupted images, and running html2mobi.exe on the result of mobi2html crashed in "getBounds" (probably on one of the corrupted images).
I think I have fixed this and will test it soon.

Quote:
Also, mobi2html did not seem to support all the options in its documentation. For example, --coverimage with no argument did not work and neither did --mobifile MOBIFILE and --htmlfile HTMLFILE.
Did you really mean mobi2html? I checked html2mobi and these options seems to work.

Quote:
For Windows at least, it would be useful if mobi2html could add a filename extension to the images (e.g. record-7307489.bmp instead of just record-7307489). This requires detecting the image type, but even the wrong image type filename extension would probably be better than no extension.
Fixed.

Quote:
For the particular case of BookDesigner .prc files, it would be a nice addition to mobi2mobi if the Table of Contents near the start could be used as the basis for a formal TOC. Then, mobi2mobi would become the easiest way to enhance all the existing .prc files in the Mobi/PRC Books Forum to fully functioning version 4 MOBI files.
The idea was that mobi2mobi should only touch header data. I will think about this.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #64
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Did you check to see if the table of content worked for the exploded Joan of Arc? It did not work in Linux. It seems that the coded data contains Ctrl-M and these are note counted in the file position. I can easily solve it by removing the but i wondered if file ending convention is defined i a MobiPocket file?
I was confused here. The real problem was that some files writes 'filepos=121313' and some writes 'filepos="33123321"'. And some files uses "<a" and some files ues "<A".
Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #65
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Windows Binaries mobiperl-0.0.18

New windows binaries:

http://www.ida.liu.se/~tompe/mobiper...0.0.18-win.rar

Quote:
mobi2mobi Twain_Joan\ of\ Arc.prc --outfile new.mobi --author "Mark Twain" --title "Joan of Arc" --coverimage cover.jpg --addthumbnail cover.jpg
works. The thumbnail will be seen in the MobiPocket reader.
Advert
Old 12-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #66
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Thanks - version 0.0.18 works well.

I have started another thread on PRC to MOBI, which uses mobi2mobi and includes some Windows command line advice.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #67
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did you really mean mobi2html? I checked html2mobi and these options seems to work.
I did mean html2mobi. I think my problem was that I put file.html after the command arguments.

Quote:
The idea was that mobi2mobi should only touch header data.
That makes sense. How about in html2mobi instead?

For the particular case of BookDesigner .html files, it would be a nice addition to html2mobi if the Table of Contents near the start could be used as the basis for a formal TOC.

The HTML file could come directly from BD, or from mobi2html on a BD .prc file.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #68
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
On the other hand, mobi2html.exe created corrupted images, and running html2mobi.exe on the result of mobi2html crashed in "getBounds" (probably on one of the corrupted images).
Quote:
I think I have fixed this and will test it soon.
The corrupt image problem has been fixed, but the html2mobi problem is still there. I attach a screenshot of the command window with the error message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	html2mobi.jpg
Views:	1155
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	8577  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #69
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The corrupt image problem has been fixed, but the html2mobi problem is still there. I attach a screenshot of the command window with the error message.
Aha, I got that error in Linux also. I am looking at this now.

Making a real TOC and put it in the guide automatically from an html file using html2mobi should be relatively easy. I will put it on the list of things to fix.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:43 PM   #70
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

The problem is that the GD library seems not to be able to read BMP files? How common are BMP files in books? If you convert the files to jpg or gif or any other format tha GD supports html2mobi will work. But I saw that the links were not working properly. I will look at that also.

Thanks for testing and reporting the problems.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:10 PM   #71
Jiiri
Enthusiast
Jiiri has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
I just wanted to say thanks to tompe for spending your time and talents on this program. I think there is a real need for this program - I am new to ebooks (Kindle owner) and immediately went to PG to get some books. Also, I found this site and have been enjoying the books that all the great uploaders put here.

The problem became obvious immediately: The metadata wasn't showing up for most .prc's that are freely available from public domain sources. On my Kindle's browser, books would show up as MILL_UTILITARIANISM, or just BLEAK HOUSE, etc. Nothing was showing up for most books under the author line.

My plan has been to buy a 4GB memory card and every book that I buy/download to just leave it on my Kindle, so I don't have to worry about moving books on and off the reader. When the metadata is inconsistent or just missing, it's going to make it extremely hard to find a book I need once a few hundred books get on there.

I haven't yet figured out how to use Mobiperl, but I'm going to work on it in the next few days. Thanks for the program - I just wanted to let you know that your work is appreciated, this tool is much needed and will help people make their books look correct on our readers.

Jiiri
Jiiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #72
Jiiri
Enthusiast

EDIT: Originally this thread was me whining about not being able to figure out how to explode a prc file. I got it now - I was making it WAY too hard. Thanks for all the tips in this thread; if I can figure this out, perhaps we could train a monkey or two to do our books for us.

Jiiri

Last edited by Jiiri; 12-30-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #73
ppxnouse
Connoisseur
ppxnouse began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Hi tombe,

I have a mobiperl request.
I posted it accidentally into the older thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ml2mobi&page=5
ppxnouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #74
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Version 0.0.19

Version 0.0.19 is available:

http://www.ida.liu.se/~tompe/mobiper...erl-0.0.19.tar

http://www.ida.liu.se/~tompe/mobiper...0.0.19-win.rar

Changes in 0.0.19:
  • Fixed resizing of image data and rescaling of image for mobi2mobi. The rescaling is neccessary because of the Gen3 not working on files with images with width larger than 480 or something around that size. This seems to be a bug in the Gen3.
  • Added Image::BMP to Util.pm. Used to convert a file from BMP to GD if needed.
  • Fixed TOC bug caused by filepos attribute not removed in mobit2html.
  • Changed max file size for images to 60000. From MobiPocket forum: "- the size of each JPEG image is limited to about 63K for a number of technical reasons "
  • Fixed filepos bug in html2mobi so now TOC in the beginning works for Twain example.
  • Fixed mobi2html so it works for the Alice example were the filepos point to "<h" instead of pointing to a "<a".

It now seems to work to explode the Mark Twain file and then use html2mobi on the exploded html file.

Last edited by tompe; 12-30-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:25 PM   #75
Jiiri
Enthusiast

Just thought I'd pass this along for whatever it's worth - I've been playing with your (wonderful) mobiperl tools all day, getting my books to look right in the Kindle Home page. I had bought Bertrand Russell's "History of Western Philosophy" in Amazon's proprietary .azw format, and I guess whenever the publisher's did the conversion, they typed in 'Bertrand Russell' under author instead of 'Russell, Bertrand'.

The result of this was when I sorted by author, every author showed up correctly by last name except Russell, who showed up under 'B' for Bertrand instead of under 'R' for Russell. I'm anal, and it annoyed me greatly. At any rate, I took the .azw file off of my Kindle, changed the extension to .prc, and ran mobi2mobi to change the metadata. After the file spit out, I changed it back to .azw, and sure enough, it worked like a charm.

So, if anyone else has metadata they don't like in a protected .azw file, it works.

Enjoy, and thanks tompe!

Jiiri

Tags
mobi2mobi, mobils