Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Sony Tablet S with WIFI preorders

In case anyone is interested, I just got an e-mail from Beach Camera that they are taking preorders for the Sony Tablet S.

www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SNSGPT111USS&omid=168&ref=email3& tab=descript
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 AM   #2
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
Great another over priced cable box for $500 who's only purpose for existence is to sell me more stuff. It seems pretty and takes a page out of Adam design with that radiused back on one long side.

I've been wondering when one of the game console makers would start pushing people to a tablet and here is that device.

I did notice its pretty light at just 1.3lbs (~588g).

Does it use Gorilla glass? What sort of touch interface? Active or something less useful for some of us like capacitive? I need something with an active touch option for pen use and input.

I don't dislike Sony but neither do I trust them. I was heavily invested in their PalmOS based system and when they simply dumped the line it really affected my longer term productivity as old PDA's croaked from use. Plus Sony for me the Sony name just does not have the cache it once did.

Still it will be interesting to read reviews and experiences people have. If Sony would add an Android based Walkman then it might be a combo I would find useful. The smallish screen for my uses does concern me though.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Specifications, from the quoted site:

Features:

•Customize with Android Market
With access to the Android Market, you can browse through thousands of useful time-saving and entertaining apps. There's also instant access to Google mobile services and applications including 3D maps and easy web search with Google Voice Search. Download what you want and make your Tablet truly yours.
•Universal Remote Control
Having difficulty remembering which remote control goes with which device? Let Tablet S solve that for you! Whether it's your TV, Blu-ray Disc player, stereo or cable box, you can control all of them right from your Sony Tablet. The Tablet S built-in Universal remote not only controls your Sony products, but other brands as well.
•Instant Access to Hit Movies
Video Unlimited is your ticket to instant entertainment. Featuring a catalog of the latest releases from every major studio to rent or own, Video Unlimited offers you instant access to hit movies direct to your living room.
•No Monthly Subscriptions or Late Fees
With Video Unlimited, you'll never have to worry about returning a disc or paying a monthly subscription fee for instant access to your movies or rentals anywhere, anytime.
•Millions of Songs ? Instantly
Music Unlimited offers you instant access to millions of songs from every major label. Forget syncing MP3 files across multiple devices, simply sync to the cloud once and enjoy the music you love on any PC and a variety of Internet-enabled Sony devices. Enjoy timeless favorites or dare to try something new - all without paying for each track or album.
•Get your game on with PlayStation
The first PlayStation Certified tablet that provides out-of-the-box gaming with PlayStation favorites Crash Bandicoot and Pinball Heroes, plus download more classic PSone and PSP game titles online.
•Build your Library
Access bestsellers, new releases, magazines, comics and more from over 2 million titles available at Reader Store from Sony. The intuitive interface is ideal for on-the-go reading, allowing you to make bookmarks and highlights, plus adjust font sizes as you read. With Sony Tablet, you can take your favorite eBooks on the go.
•Sony's brilliant TruBlack display
By controlling the refraction of light between the LCD and the screen, Sony's TruBlack panel provides more vibrant colors, deeper blacks, and a totally amazing image. Enjoy exploring your connected world even more with the beautiful display offered by Sony's unique panel display technology.
•Enhanced Speed and Responsiveness
Sony's latest software technology brings you fast web browsing, responsive touch panel, and exceptionally intuitive user interface.
•Ergonomic design to fit your hand
With so many things you can do with Sony Tablet, you need a comfortable and easy design to carry the device for long periods of time. Specially designed to ergonomically fit your hand, this unique form factor shifts the device's weight closer to your palm making it feel lighter and more comfortable while reading a book, or watching a video. In addition, this design provides a more natural angle for typing and browsing when set flat on a table.
Specifications:

Convenience
- Remote Control Functions: IR remote control function

Display
- Resolution: 1280 x 800
- Screen Size: 9.4"

Hardware
- Camera: Front - 0.3 Megapixel Rear - 5.0 Megapixel

Inputs and Outputs
- Headphone Output: 1
- MicroUSB: 1

Memory
- External Memory: Full-size SD Card slot (for media exchange only)
- Installed Memory: 16GB
- Internal Memory: 1GB

Power
- Battery Type: Li-Ion 5100mAh

Processor
- Processor Type: NVIDIA Tegra2

Software
- Operating System: Android Honeycomb

Weights and Measurements
- Dimensions (Approx.): 9.5" L x 6.8" W x 0.3" D
- Weight (Approx.): 1lb. 5oz.

Wireless/Networking
- Bluetooth Technology: Bluetooth Integrated Stereo A2DP (2.1 + EDR)
- Wi-Fi: IEEE802.11b/g/n
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:06 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm curious about this:

Quote:
Full-size SD Card slot (for media exchange only)
Does that mean that the tablet apps can't use files stored on the SD card?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:34 AM   #5
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Looks nice. Will be a great deal when I pick it up during the liquidation sale. I kid, I kid.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 03:39 AM   #6
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
Well given the description of the SD card slot it's not fully integrated with the OS and is merely a port for file transfer and might not be a true "drive" as we have come to understand these things.

Sony is not unique in this though I have only really noticed it in MP3 players of late. Not sure about other tablets.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenunya View Post
What sort of touch interface? Active or something less useful for some of us like capacitive? I need something with an active touch option for pen use and input.
The new Lenovo Thinkpad tablet has an active digitizer http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/tablets/thinkpad/ and it comes with apps designed to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenunya View Post
Still it will be interesting to read reviews and experiences people have. If Sony would add an Android based Walkman then it might be a combo I would find useful. The smallish screen for my uses does concern me though.
Sony just announced one about an hour ago at IFA

preview hands on of the Tablet S at IFA http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/31/s...let-s-preview/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does that mean that the tablet apps can't use files stored on the SD card?
That's odd. Engadget noted it in the preview Dulin's Book linked to:
Quote:
The tablet cannot directly play media from the SD card; it must first be copied to the internal storage. So, if you had dreams of buying the 16GB version then slapping a cheap 16GB SD card in there to make up the difference, let this be your rude awakening.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
hadnt read it yet. thats annoying. every time i think i see a tablet i will want, the company making it screws something up.

i mean does that mean photos as well? you can just load a bunch of pics on the SD card and then just show them from the photobook app? you have to move them from the SD card to the internal first? how much sense does that make to even bother having the sd card?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Also formally launched in Canada at $500 for the 16 GB and $600 for the 32 GB.

http://newswire.ca/en/releases/archi.../31/c7518.html

At www.sony.ca/tablet it states: Estimated ship date: 09/20/2011
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
somehow I like the P model better than the S model.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/31/s...pens-up-about/
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm going to predict this either just stays afloat or becomes the next HP TouchPad. I don't think we have another Ipad.

What I'm really waiting for is for Google to make a tablet through Motorola to replace the Xoom, don't get me wrong the Xoom is awesome and that's why any improvement on it would make the absolutely best tablet on the market, even now I would rather a Xoom than an Ipad because of the flash issue and the Xoom has HDMI, and (Of Course ) Android which I like because I can get what I want (3rd party apps)
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
and the Xoom has HDMI
The iPad has HDMI! It just comes..separately
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There certainly doesn't seem to be anything here to make it stand out from the crowd. It's (yawn) "yet another Android tablet".
Old 08-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
somehow I like the P model better than the S model.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/31/s...pens-up-about/
3G only in the US = fail.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote