Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #121
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
all my preloaded books are repeating them selves can anyone else see if they are having this problem i started reading ana karanina by leo tolstof and in the first chapter it repeated the first few paragraphs, i tried just skipping over the skips to the next chapter but the problem was there too is anyone else having this problem it was doing this the other books i tried too read as well
Mine are fine, but I started differently than you did, Terminator.

Whilst you are the first person to report this particular issue, you may not be the only one. I do know that some people may have a corrupted Db that is showing problems now. Reset to factory default does many good things, but does not apparently heal Db's with those kinds of corruption problems. You did do a factory reset, already, right?

Kobo is working on a new Db image that will take care of various problems and which will also make it possible for the preloaded books to be kepub files, rather than having them contained in the Db itself. JCKobo will post it when it is ready. That will make it possible to use the dictionary with the preloads and should make it less likely for Db corruption to happen in the future. I believe that the process will be similar to the one folks used for replacing the 1.4 Db.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #122
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corby View Post
The reseller-specific files (installers etc) remain on the device and don't get updated with the device software update. All of the files specifically inside the update file itself are reseller-neutral. The only real concerns between matching up a device with a desktop version are whether or not the desktop supports syncing to that device version, and whether or not you have an account for that partner (Kobo account versus Borders account, etc). If you update your device before the desktop has been updated for your reseller, your device is still usable on its own for the books it has on it, but syncing won't work until the new desktop is released for that reseller (so it's not really breaking, just temporarily unusable).
The tarballs the resellers have been distributing for 1.4 are not a binary match. I've got them all.

"Temporarily unusable" is broke by any kobo user's definition. That's why it's important to be clear to Borders, Whitcoulls, ANR users they need to wait.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #123
Corby
Junior Junior Member
Corby began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
The tarballs the resellers have been distributing for 1.4 are not a binary match. I've got them all.
The tarballs include the web installers which are reseller specific, and also a different revision number. I'm referring to the update which is downloaded from the servers when you update via the desktop application (or over Wi Fi for Kobo Wi Fi).

Last edited by Corby; 12-15-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Corby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #124
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Just got a reply from Kobo.

They are not issuing SD cards at this stage for upgrade, preferring the oft problematic USB upgrade.

In light of potential issues with differing desktops, it might be wise for Aussie Kobo owners to put off the upgrade until later.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #125
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
OK, well for starters, the new firmware is for http://www.kobobooks.com users only. The partners like Borders, Whitcoulls, etc. will be releasing their updates shortly. None of this thread applies to you yet.

As you discovered, the firmware on your kobo is unchanged so any problem with your SD card must have been pre-existing. The desktop software knows nothing about SD cards. Ever. I'd guess either your SD card is corrupt (do you have another device that can read SD cards to verify?) or somehow you've scrambled the database on the kobo. If the latter, there's a sticky with instructions for restoring a clean 1.4 database here.
The SD card was working perfectly well before I connected to the Borders software, it can still be read on a card reader. This is not the first time this has happened, last time I lost all my "free" books from the Kobo as well. Kobo and Borders both said they had some issues with the last update. I got it back (well, I do have a lot of computer experience and used to supervise networks etc before I retired), everything has run perfectly until this update. I now only use the Borders/Kobo software when I need an update (which is why I connected yesterday), it is virtually useless for any serious ebook management, Calibre is much (much x 10) better, ADE is good but the interface is nowhere near as clear and intuitive as Calibre.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #126
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
The SD card was working perfectly well before I connected to the Borders software, it can still be read on a card reader. This is not the first time this has happened, last time I lost all my "free" books from the Kobo as well. Kobo and Borders both said they had some issues with the last update. I got it back (well, I do have a lot of computer experience and used to supervise networks etc before I retired), everything has run perfectly until this update. I now only use the Borders/Kobo software when I need an update (which is why I connected yesterday), it is virtually useless for any serious ebook management, Calibre is much (much x 10) better, ADE is good but the interface is nowhere near as clear and intuitive as Calibre.
All fine but w/o being hands on with your device, I stand behind what I said. Your database is corrupt. You're still running 1.4, as you said. Follow the directions to replace your database, re-sync your content, and you'll be fine.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #127
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All fine but w/o being hands on with your device, I stand behind what I said. Your database is corrupt. You're still running 1.4, as you said. Follow the directions to replace your database, re-sync your content, and you'll be fine.
I'll wait until the new firmware comes out thanks - I don't want to have to repeat this process again. At the moment I just deleted and reloaded the books on the SD card and now they work But it seems strange that the only times the Kobo has bombed out is after using the Borders/Kobo software - maybe just a spooky X files thing?
I use Calibre all the time without any dramas.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #128
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
The new firmare IS out.
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:21 AM   #129
CazMar
Book Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
The new firmare IS out.
Not in Australia, unless it happened over the past hour or so?

And no - I just checked and not there yet.

Last edited by CazMar; 12-16-2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Recheck facts
Old 12-16-2010, 01:29 AM   #130
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
Not in Australia, unless it happened over the past hour or so?
And no - I just checked and not there yet.
Simply use sd card image. Avoid every other method as error prone.
I cannot recall anybody having problem with sd card, which is the
proof itself.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #131
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
CazMar--JCKobo said that they would be sending the files to the International partners in the next day or two, but then each of them has a process they go through before they make it available to their customers before it rolls out there. The two day wait is a good thing--lets issues come to light before you get it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #132
3d0g
I make fjords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Simply use sd card image. Avoid every other method as error prone.
I cannot recall anybody having problem with sd card, which is the
proof itself.
Definitely.

It's more complicated for most users but the USB upgrade has too many downsides IMO...

USB upgrade:
No dictionary support on built-in books
Any prior database problems get carried forward
ADE won't work without factory reset (so you loose all your content & bookmarks anyway)

SD upgrade:
Dictionary support on built-in books
Known clean database
Database in 100% kepub format
ADE authorizes without issues
Old 12-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #133
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Note that all the db problems you mention are resolved by loading the 1.8 database linked to in the sticky thread. So some extra steps for the USB upgrade, but no need for using Linux to create an SD filesystem.

I'm not sure about the ADE authorization, as I don't know where it is kept, nor what has changed in the new version.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #134
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Note that all the db problems you mention are resolved by loading the 1.8 database linked to in the sticky thread. So some extra steps for the USB upgrade, but no need for using Linux to create an SD filesystem.

I'm not sure about the ADE authorization, as I don't know where it is kept, nor what has changed in the new version.
After I did the upgrade I had some problems with a book I had loaded through the desktop app so I replaced the db using Pholy/JC's instructions and re-synced my kobo to get my book back. All of my calibre loaded books were still there and I didn't have to re-authorize ADE at all.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #135
3d0g
I make fjords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
All true, but a fair number of folk aren't comfortable mucking about at the filesystem level. With the SD card, upgrading is as simple as popping in the card, and powering the kobo on while holding the blue button down.