Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #241
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
They are not screensavers as the screen doesn't need to be saved. It's a slide show and one that uses battery for no good reason at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #242
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
@jswolf don't they use no more power than the built in images? It's not really a slide show since it only show's 1 image. Unless the hack has changed and I missed it.

I've never noticed more power drain looking at my graphics over Mary Shelley.
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #243
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
You're correct jwilker... the screensaver hack does not use any additional power.
911jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #244
thegoodguy
thegoodguy began at the beginning.

Device: knidle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
They are not screensavers as the screen doesn't need to be saved. It's a slide show and one that uses battery for no good reason at all.
Putting a smile on my face when I see them is a good reason. It would probably be a bigger smile if the display order was random and not sequential.

Smiling ... it's an interesting sensation ... you should try it some day.

Last edited by thegoodguy; 02-19-2010 at 03:45 PM.
thegoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:54 AM   #245
srmalloy
Enthusiast
srmalloy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The prime characteristic of e-ink displays is that they use power only when changing pixels. A static image doesn't use any battery power at all.

The point of having a 'screensaver' is to give you an immediate visual feedback that the unit is 'sleeping' -- that the controls have been disabled to keep from accidentally registering unwanted page turns, etc. when not being used. This could be done by just blanking the screen or greying it out, but the screensaver images do the same thing more attractively, and with the screensaver hack, allows you to customize your Kindle a little more.
srmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #246
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
For those that might care... Barnes & Noble has a free pack of Alice and Wonderland images designed as screensavers for the Nook.

They work just peachy on the Kindle.
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #247
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLandes View Post
For those that might care... Barnes & Noble has a free pack of Alice and Wonderland images designed as screensavers for the Nook.

They work just peachy on the Kindle.
From the movie?
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #248
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
yep, the new movie that is out
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #249
gxt1
gxt1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Hi,

I am new to the forum and I have been trying to install the screen saver hack. When I go to the settings menu the "Update Your Kindle" menu item is greyed out. Help?

Thanks
gxt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:40 AM   #250
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
You more than likely downloaded the wrong file. If your Kindle 2 was purchased in the past few months, you need the file marked K2i. If you already have that file, make sure you unzip it and then copy only the install file that ends in .bin over to your Kindle.
911jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #251
NicolesLost
NicolesLost began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 version 2.3
Thank you 911jason! Selecting the file with "i" in it did the trick! For some reason i was just selecting the K2 file with no "i". It works great now!
NicolesLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #252
sealonging
sealonging began at the beginning.

i really hope someone can help, so excited about my new screensavers and i keep getting jacked! i have a 2.3 and i installed k2i but i am not getting any screensavers now. it just flashes and my home page is still there. i know my images are on my kindle because when i plug it back in i can see them in system\screen_saver. PLEASE help! i'm really frustrated that i did something wrong and i don't know what it is. thanks!
sealonging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #253
sealonging
sealonging began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealonging View Post
i really hope someone can help, so excited about my new screensavers and i keep getting jacked! i have a 2.3 and i installed k2i but i am not getting any screensavers now. it just flashes and my home page is still there. i know my images are on my kindle because when i plug it back in i can see them in system\screen_saver. PLEASE help! i'm really frustrated that i did something wrong and i don't know what it is. thanks!
whoops! formatted incorrectly! blonde moment, i apologize
sealonging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #254
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Haha, happens to the best of us.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #255
goblinbox
*****istratrix
goblinbox began at the beginning.

Device: K2, iThing
Does anybody know if anyone's working on the screensaver hack for 2.5? I'm back to dead authors since the update since the old hack no longer works.
goblinbox is offline   Reply With Quote