Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
nickyh
nickyh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which e-reader should I buy?

Hi guys, this is my first post here and I'm really looking into an e-reader to buy. It would be mostly to read pdf books since I don't have credit card and I can't buy any books.

I'm just wondering which one is the best for this feature, I'll be glad if you can tell me which one is the best for pdf's mostly and why.

I won't read 2 or 3 column pdf's they'll be books in pdf formats, something like these (these are 2 books I want to read, for example)

[links to copyright works deleted]

Thanks guys, waiting for your answers

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-10-2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: links to copyright material
nickyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
PDF is not really an ebook format. I would get used to getting books in either .epub or .mobi format. No 6" screen ereader is going to do well with a page size formatted for 8.5 x 11 or similar.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
What's the connection between no credit card and only being able to read pdf's?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Depending on what you like, you can find a large selection of free books. I don't buy very many e-books, most of my reads are freebies or library loans. Does your library support lending of e-books? Do you like many of the public domain reads or self-published books? There are lots of freebies out there, and you don't have to limit yourself. It'd be a shame to buy an e-reader and then just use pdfs, ick.

PDFs I find are not good for text-based literature. They're fine for picture heavy documents, but none of the e-readers I've used so far are a preference for pdfs.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
ME2012
ME2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ME2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ME2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ME2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ME2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ME2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ME2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ME2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ME2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ME2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ME2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, 1 Gen
Hi -

The right e-reader for you depends on what your reading preferences are:

Do you prefer
print that resembles a traditional book? - then the e-ink models are best (like the Nook Simple Touch)

will u carry the e-reader around? - then something smaller and lighter would be better

read at night - choose one with a backlight

read during day and/or outside - choose a model that says "can read in daylight" - I'm not sure if the anti-glare like on the Kindle Fire HD means the same thing

Most models can view multiple types of formats including pdfs - but check the accepted format lists for the various readers.

I still love my Nook, Generation 1. I can read pdfs on it. The kindle app on my ipad is perfect for Amazon books.

Sorry not to give a specific answer, hopes this helps.
ME2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
hazel7797
hazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS 350, Kobo Mini 2012
Hi

I have a Sony and have recently purchased a Kobo Mini . . . and I love both! The Kobo Mini was £59 from W. H. Smith online and it is lightweight and very convenient for travelling or carrying around. My Sony - I find - feels more 'substantial' and I love the way that you can group books in series (so that books in a series are read in the correct order) Of course, Kobo might have that facility, but I am still learning about it as I have only had it a few days!

The bottom line is, I love both of my 'children' equally, but for very different reasons! Plus, you can read PDF's on either device!

I hope this helps a little, but it is a very subjective thing!

Hazel x
hazel7797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel7797 View Post
Hi

I have a Sony and have recently purchased a Kobo Mini . . . and I love both! The Kobo Mini was £59 from W. H. Smith online and it is lightweight and very convenient for travelling or carrying around. My Sony - I find - feels more 'substantial' and I love the way that you can group books in series (so that books in a series are read in the correct order) Of course, Kobo might have that facility, but I am still learning about it as I have only had it a few days!

The bottom line is, I love both of my 'children' equally, but for very different reasons! Plus, you can read PDF's on either device!

I hope this helps a little, but it is a very subjective thing!

Hazel x
The Kobo Mini does have this facility using the jackie_w plugboard for Sony.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
hazel7797
hazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS 350, Kobo Mini 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
The Kobo Mini does have this facility using the jackie_w plugboard for Sony.

Helen
Thanks Helen, sorry to be dumb, but what is a 'plugboard' and what do I do with it? I'm fairly new to this!

Hazel
hazel7797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

go to preferences>metadata plugboards and create a plugboard

The one I use appends the series and series number to the authors name, some prefer to append it to the title.

Fields as follows
Format: epub
Device:Kobotouch
Source Template:{author_sort}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>2s}
Destination Field: authors

This requires resending the books for it to work as it writes the series to the book itself when sending. It does not affect the books in your calibre library.

You can also use

Fields as follows
Format: epub
Device:any device
Source Template:{author_sort}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>2s}
Destination Field: authors
Which may not require resending books

I think automatic management must be on for it to work preferences>sending books to device and save template {author_sort}/{title} - {authors}

Also the Kobotouch driver plugin must be configured for the shelves to work.
Mine is configured to send only epub, delete empty bookshelves,create bookshelves
with columns #genre, series. #genre is a custom column of my own so wouldn't be suitable for you. authors or author_sort should work but not sure.

This may look complicated but should take less than 5 minutes and the result is worth it.

And you are not dumb, plugboards are not that obvious to a new user

This thread has a better but longer explanation
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192863

Helen
Old 11-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
nickyh
nickyh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well guys, First of all thanks for answers. I was unaware of this pdf to other format for e-readers conversion. I thought that with an e-reader you needed to buy the books in order for them to "look" good in your e-reader, hence my thread.

Luckily, I got a kindle keybord borrowed from my university library, and started to play with it. The pdfs in that format don't look that good, but it's still readable if you put it in landscape mode. I converted one to .mobi and it looks the same as some books that are directly for kindle (some books that the device already had). So yeah, I think this will work well for me.

I'll buy the Kindle 4 since it is the cheapest. Again, thanks for the responses and sorry for my ignorance.
nickyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard

@nickyh

Just one more thing

I have not used a kindle 4so I can't compare it.

The Kobo mini, because of its whiter screen enables me to read at much smaller fonts with much weaker reading glasses. Thus more on the page and better formatting options overall.

The Kobo Glo with its bigger screen and higher resolutions should be much better. I know it costs more, but I would advise you to at least look at one before purchasing. The Kobo Mini at $79 CAD is much better to read on than the T1 which I believe has as good as or possibly better screen than K4 and the Glo should be even better.

The Glo at $129 CAD may be more than you want to pay, but looking at the price over a year it is about 30 cents a day and while not perfect it is about as good as it gets.

Plus you can download library books for it in in far more countries than a kindle.

Still I am pretty sure you will be happy with the K4 as well so happy ereading.

Helen
Old 11-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I love my K4. It's a great e-reader. So great, my husband has taken it over and I need to replace it. And the price is amazing.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I love my K4. It's a great e-reader. So great, my husband has taken it over and I need to replace it. And the price is amazing.
They are all great, even my old old Sony 300 gets used on occasion. I am just so impressed with the Kobo Mini I can't seem to stop blathering on about it.

No offense intended to all the other devices.

Helen
Old 11-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
They are all great, even my old old Sony 300 gets used on occasion. I am just so impressed with the Kobo Mini I can't seem to stop blathering on about it.

No offense intended to all the other devices.

Helen
Completely understand that feeling, it's how I am still about my Sony 350. To me there's just nothing else like it, it's irreplaceable! The Kobo mini sounds like it's worth a look when my 350s die.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Posting a link to copyrighted books again will result in an immediate and permanent ban. This is your one and only warning on the matter.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote