Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 05:17 AM   #61
stesc
stesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo mini
Just updated the firmware and so far I don't see any differences. Changed font sizes still aren't saved and I still have to go back one page after reopening a book. Moving around the cursor to highlight words for dictionary lookup is also still as slow as ever. Of course none of that was mentioned in the changelog, but it would have been nice to get some fixes.

And be warned: the device is reset after the update and that includes bookmarks.
stesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #62
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stesc View Post
Settings --> Usage Information --> Scroll "Off"

Then the Up/Down Keys won't turn pages any more and instead you can select words and show the dictionary by pressing enter. It's awfully slow though ...
I don't see this option. Are you going to "Settings" from the home screen? When I press Option, then select Settings, my options are:

Wireless Controls
System Settings
Personal Information Settings
Power Settings
System Wizards
Device Information

I can't find a "Scroll Off" option anywhere.
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:25 AM   #63
jaxsnop
Enthusiast
jaxsnop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I tried in several time to download the fw 1.10 for my European Story HD. In the iRiver web the file shows 82 mb but when I have finished the download never get the full file. I got 65.5 or 72.3, etc...

Anyone got the complete file? Solutions?
jaxsnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:35 AM   #64
Roelo
Roelo began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver story HD Basic, Bebook Mini aka Hanlin V5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxsnop View Post
I tried in several time to download the fw 1.10 for my European Story HD. In the iRiver web the file shows 82 mb but when I have finished the download never get the full file. I got 65.5 or 72.3, etc...

Anyone got the complete file? Solutions?
Here is a alternative download link for the 1.10 update:

https://www.wetransfer.com/dl/Y1z5UP...018380abe81069

Included in this download you will find the update and language files.

This is the update for the iriver story hd basic version (non wifi)

Last edited by Roelo; 07-22-2011 at 03:38 AM.
Roelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:48 AM   #65
jaxsnop
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelo View Post
Here is a alternative download link for the 1.10 update:

https://www.wetransfer.com/dl/Y1z5UP...018380abe81069

Included in this download you will find the update and language files.

This is the update for the iriver story hd basic version (non wifi)
AMAZING!!!! TYVM

Other question, I'm seeing into the language file some folders. I supose ru is Russian, hk is Hong Kong (Chinese)... eu is European, isn't it?!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:52 AM   #66
Roelo
Roelo began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver story HD Basic, Bebook Mini aka Hanlin V5
Quote:
AMAZING!!!! TYVM

Other question, I'm seeing into the language file some folders. I supose ru is Russian, hk is Hong Kong (Chinese)... eu is European, isn't it?!
you're welcome.

yes this is correct. First update your device with the update. After that i used the language file. I don't know if the language file is neccesary
Roelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:02 AM   #67
jaxsnop
Enthusiast

Neither do I. I've been reading ebooks (I'm Spanish) and I didn't notice language issues. So maybe language for European is not a neccesary update but Rusians and Chineses.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #68
wilsonch
Enthusiast
wilsonch is on a distinguished road

Device: Various Androids; Kindle Touch; an Android Nook
Another impression: I put onto the Story HD a 125MB PDF I got from Google Books. (I didn't download it directly to the device from there, I put the copy onto the device via USB.) It's a very cool file, the first Hebrew concordance of the Hebrew scriptures (1581). 835 pages or so. It is of course entirely scanned images. I opened it up, told it to go to page 800 or so (since the back is the front and the front is the back) and I paged around a bit. The Story HD was very responsive, moving through the file quickly and then showing images quickly. My comparison experience is a Kindle DX (not the latest version, the one before that), which is significantly slower.

The images were clear, despite the small screen, although since I don't read Hebrew at all I don't know if the little dots were rendered clear enough. Why do I have the book at all if I don't read Hebrew? 1581! Very cool looking!

Also, it was the biggest PDF I had around, for the test.
wilsonch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #69
reve
reve began at the beginning.

Device: None
I love the PDF reading information you all post here, I am very much interested in that.

Anyway since I am about to make the decision here, does anyone else notice the I'd almost say extreme ghosting (for the generation of e-ink displays today) and/or the low-ish contrast (compared to Kindle at least)? This guy's review really makes me wonder. I don't mind/welcome the differences from Kindle such as no buttons on the sides, the joystick, I love the higher resolution considering how I'd like to view PDF there from time to time. But the ghosting and the contrast ...

Perhaps he just got somewhat faulty piece?
reve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #70
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by reve View Post
I love the PDF reading information you all post here, I am very much interested in that.

Anyway since I am about to make the decision here, does anyone else notice the I'd almost say extreme ghosting (for the generation of e-ink displays today) and/or the low-ish contrast (compared to Kindle at least)? This guy's review really makes me wonder. I don't mind/welcome the differences from Kindle such as no buttons on the sides, the joystick, I love the higher resolution considering how I'd like to view PDF there from time to time. But the ghosting and the contrast ...

Perhaps he just got somewhat faulty piece?
I have noticed the same thing. In fact, I think it's a deal breaker for me. I guess I'll end up with the K3 when all is said and done. Hopefully it's a software issue and not an inherent quirk of the particular screen they're usinig.
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #71
stesc
stesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-booksstesc has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupstin View Post
I don't see this option. Are you going to "Settings" from the home screen? When I press Option, then select Settings, my options are:

Wireless Controls
System Settings
Personal Information Settings
Power Settings
System Wizards
Device Information

I can't find a "Scroll Off" option anywhere.
The 'Settings' page seems to be different on the wifi version vs. the non-wifi one. On my Story the settings options are:

Usage Information
System
Personal Information

Maybe the "Scroll Off" option has been removed in the wifi firmware.

FYI concerning corrupted downloads of the firmware:
The iriver server seems to cut the connection after exactly 10 minutes (at least from europe the connection is awfully slow most of the time and the download takes longer than that). Using a download manager that can resume the download (or wget on linux/osx) solves that problem.
stesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #72
cme
reader
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by reve View Post
Anyway since I am about to make the decision here, does anyone else notice the I'd almost say extreme ghosting (for the generation of e-ink displays today) and/or the low-ish contrast (compared to Kindle at least)? ...
But the ghosting and the contrast ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupstin View Post
I have noticed the same thing. In fact, I think it's a deal breaker for me. I guess I'll end up with the K3 when all is said and done. Hopefully it's a software issue and not an inherent quirk of the particular screen they're usinig.
I reviewed the iriver Story HD too and compared it very thoroughly to the Sony PRS-650, which has the same screen as the Amazon Kindle. I couldn't see any difference in contrast - absolutly none. And I didn't encounter any ghosting. There is more ghosting on the PRS-650 than on the Story HD.

However, the version I've tested was the basic one without wifi and google. Maybe those get produced and assembled somewhere else, with displays from a different factory ...

Here is another picture showing the Story HD side by side with the PRS-650. I couldn't see any contrast difference in real life and I can't see any in the picture:

You can find the full-size picture, along some others in my (german) iriver story hd review.

Last edited by cme; 07-29-2011 at 09:27 AM.
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 AM   #73
jaxsnop
Enthusiast

There is a NEW firmware for the iRiver Story HD Basic (non-Wi-fi) in the oficial website but it's so curious because it looks like a downgrading. The fw is v. 1.00 and indicated like NEW firmware but nothing about features or changes.

P.S. Could anybody post an alternative link for downloading? The Europe download is terrible and impossible to get complete.

Last edited by jaxsnop; 08-06-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #74
sgiessl
sgiessl is on a distinguished road

Device: iRiver Story HD
Quote:
There is a NEW firmware for the iRiver Story HD Basic (non-Wi-fi) in the oficial website but it's so curious because it looks like a downgrading. The fw is v. 1.00 and indicated like NEW firmware but nothing about features or changes.

P.S. Could anybody post an alternative link for downloading? The Europe download is terrible and impossible to get complete.
On iriver.com, I can only see the firmware 1.10 from Jul 18.

I do not know any alternative download URL. For downloading (using Linux), I used 'wget -c <url>' to resume broken downloads. Any download manager should work, too.
sgiessl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 AM   #75
jaxsnop
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiessl View Post
On iriver.com, I can only see the firmware 1.10 from Jul 18.

I do not know any alternative download URL. For downloading (using Linux), I used 'wget -c <url>' to resume broken downloads. Any download manager should work, too.
Thare are two columns, best download and new download. It's in the second one but here you have the link http://www.iriver.com/support/downlo....asp?dNum=1048

The problem with European downloading is the very slow download, and after 10 mins iRiver cut the process and it's impossible to get it complete. I use Windows 7.