Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: When do you butter your toast?
I butter it in sections, after its cooled..... 5 4.46%
I butter it while its still warm so the butter melts into the toast 86 76.79%
The blue German vegetarian Fish that lives in Portugal but eats meat. 15 13.39%
I butter my toast cool but not in sections 6 5.36%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Buttering your toast.

Okay. So. I remember reading a book years and years and years ago. The lady was sitting down to eat breakfast, and while buttering her toast, was reflecting on the differences between European and American habits.

Apparently, Europeans butter their toast after its cooled....thereby avoiding the uncivilized greasy fingers Americans get when buttering their toast while warm.

The toast was also buttered in small sections, instead of the whole piece at once. Good manners and all.

Hey. This was just a novel I read. I'm not judging here, or saying it was true.

So,.............when do you butter your toast?

As always, please post and God forbid anyone stays on subject.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I like mine hot and melty. I could probably live on toast and butter alone. Well, at least until the cholesterol killed me, but you get the point. Also like it cold and spreadable on cool toast. And big crusty slices of bread toasted in the oven with the butter melting into it. Is it lunch time yet?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I like mine hot and melty. I could probably live on toast and butter alone. Well, at least until the cholesterol killed me, but you get the point. Also like it cold and spreadable on cool toast. And big crusty slices of bread toasted in the oven with the butter melting into it. Is it lunch time yet?
And bread straight out of the breadmaker..........with real butter!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
The fact that toast racks exist suggest that someone, somewhere thinks it should be eaten cold. Delia Smith suggests leaving toast to stand in a toast rack for a short period before buttering so it doesn't go soggy.

To which I say bah! Toast should be thick, hot and with the butter melting on it.

And bread fresh from the oven with real butter is gorgeous!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've often seen it said that for the best toast you should use day-old, rather than fresh, bread. You get "crisper" toast that way, apparently.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I think the British lost all sense of decorum regarding buttered comestibles with the advent of the mass-produced crumpet.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
OH ! - not a multi-option poll ...

OK, I like it cooled with the butter not melting, so the golden treacle can mix sensuously in with the butter to create that really wonderful flavour.....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hmm minor voting problem. can't pick one argh!!!!!

I like to have my toast thin and only lightly toasted. Then allow it to cool a little but butter all of it not in sections. If you time it just right you get a slight melt into the bread but still have visible yellow butter.

sorry am quite particular about my toast lol
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Okay, MOD!!!

Kindly add "I butter my toast cool but not in sections"

Please?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Okay, MOD!!!

Kindly add "I butter my toast cool but not in sections"

Please?

If you do that I want another vote (just to get it right)

[I'll go get out of your kitchen]
Old 06-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It's wonderful that dg finally produced a poll we all have an opinion on. FOOD!
:applause:
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
It's wonderful that dg finally produced a poll we all have an opinion on. FOOD!
:applause:

the one on drink is in planning .... or re-hab ...
Old 06-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
My habits vary - depends if I'm putting something else on top of the butter/what sort of bread it is etc. Also what mood I'm in. Generally I butter it all in one go, but occasionally in sections.

However, when I'm buttering it in sections it usually means I'm too hungry to wait while I butter the whole thing. I certainly wouldn't describe this as good manners (usually means I'm standing in the kitchen whilst eating and getting crumbs EVERYWHERE).

I had never considered that how you butter your toast was a difference between the US and UK.

I also thought that toast racks were to prevent "spare" toast going soggy while it's waiting for you to eat it - if you leave it lying on a plate condensation develops underneath. I never considered putting my toast in one and waiting for it to cool down.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth1304 View Post
I had never considered that how you butter your toast was a difference between the US and UK.
How you use a knife and fork certainly is a difference - and is one of those things which really surprised me when I noticed. Americans generally cut up their food, then put down the knife, and eat using only the fork. British people (and other Europeans too) hold the knife and fork at all times.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How you use a knife and fork certainly is a difference - and is one of those things which really surprised me when I noticed. Americans generally cut up their food, then put down the knife, and eat using only the fork. British people (and other Europeans too) hold the knife and fork at all times.

civilization .....