Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Poll: 3 out of 4 Americans prefer paper books

So it's not just the British but also the majority of Americans who prefer paper books over e-books. At least if you're inclined to believe the poll done by Rasmussen Reports.

Quote:
A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 75% of American Adults would rather read a book in a traditional print format than on an electronic book-reading device like a Kindle. Fifteen percent (15%) prefer reading on an electronic device. Ten percent (10%) are undecided.
You find the original questions asked in the poll over here.

[via Slashdot]

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 07-21-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Alex, you seem to be posting a lot of articles about paper books. Is there something you want to tell us?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
the design of the survey is questionably for reaching this conclusion. someone that has not experienced an ebook would be unlikely to prefer it; market saturation therefore influences the poll. maybe they accounted for that but without the crosstabs, one can't know. The vast majority of time I prefer e. But sometimes dead trees comfort me; i'm dark that way.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
the design of the survey is questionably for reaching this conclusion. someone that has not experienced an ebook would be unlikely to prefer it; market saturation therefore influences the poll. maybe they accounted for that but without the crosstabs, one can't know. The vast majority of time I prefer e. But sometimes dead trees comfort me; i'm dark that way.
I don't think your points invalidate the poll: a lot of people may prefer paper books only because they haven't used e-book readers...but as they actually do prefer paper books, the poll is completely accurate.

The numbers aren't surprising, really; paper books still outsell e-books by a substantial margin.

Although it would be interesting if the poll included how many and what kind of books the person read; I suspect the numbers who prefer e-books are higher in people who mostly fiction and who read 10+ books per year.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that I did not say that my points invalidated the poll, only that the stated conclusion was questionable given the questions; the crosstabs may tell a more complete story, but alas they are unavailable. The stated conclusion implies an experience that may or may not exist. Which is to say, if I tell you I prefer this over that, the implication is that I have experienced both this and that.

Last edited by Rob Lister; 07-21-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
No kidding. They never even asked if the responder had ever read an e-book, let alone owned an e-reader. I'd guess that roughly 50% of real readers (people who read more than a book a month) have still not read a book on an e-reader.

With a poll structured like that, I am actually surprised that 25% prefer e-books. No doubt some publisher is going to take that as proof that the e-market is a wasted investment...
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Although it would be interesting if the poll included how many and what kind of books the person read; I suspect the numbers who prefer e-books are higher in people who mostly fiction and who read 10+ books per year.
Actually, I'm not sure that first is true. I've bought all my reference books in electronic formats for over ten years, whereas I only got hooked on an e-reader last year.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I am not surprised. ebooks are more practical, but not necessarily better. I love the formatting and page setup of a paper book. ebooks still don't get close to that.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Rob Lister
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Actually, I'm not sure that first is true. I've bought all my reference books in electronic formats for over ten years, whereas I only got hooked on an e-reader last year.
I'm kind of with Andrew here. All of my reference material comes from the internet and is viewed via computer, but I'll be damned if I'll try to use an e-reader for that kind of task. Damned if I'll use paper anymore either, while we're gedunkin'
Old 07-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 75% of American Adults would rather read a book in a traditional print format than on an electronic book-reading device like a Kindle. Fifteen percent (15%) prefer reading on an electronic device. Ten percent (10%) are undecided.
Wouldn't that imply that 75% of American adults read books (and thus have a valid opinion on the subject)?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
No kidding. They never even asked if the responder had ever read an e-book, let alone owned an e-reader. I'd guess that roughly 50% of real readers (people who read more than a book a month) have still not read a book on an e-reader.

With a poll structured like that, I am actually surprised that 25% prefer e-books. No doubt some publisher is going to take that as proof that the e-market is a wasted investment...
Their problem if they do.
(shrug)
For one thing, those numbers (if you believe them) are actually showing the strength of the ebook market. What they are claiming is that 75% of the total population, prefers paper. Fine. That includes the portion of the population that doesn't *buy* books at all and the portion that only buys one book a year. Together, that makes up well over half the population.
The poll is actually telling that, of the people *buying* more than one book a year, at least a third strongly prefers ebooks and another 20% is open to the tech.

There is a difference between basing the "ebook approval rating" on the total population and basing it on likely book buyers. If you are looking to make investment grade estimates of ebook market potential, you want your numbers based on likely buyers.

Now, if you're just looking to convince yourself ebooks are a fad then including non-participants will make you feel better... for now.

Personally, I would put more stake on the reports from the BPHs that 20-25% of their sales, in dollars, comes from ebooks. Because that is people voting their wallets, not their mouth.
(And since average ebook prices are lower than print, 25% is the just lower bound of ebook market penetration.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-21-2013 at 02:17 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Quote:
The vast majority of time I prefer e.
Yes same with me right now. But you need to understand that you're a very small minority with this approach. Digital reading is not the future, it's not even avant-garde. It's something most people don't care about, it's a cheap and convenient way to consume text files or to build up a virtual library. That's the reason why I like it just as I like some other things.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Rob Lister
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
... Digital reading is not the future, it's not even avant-garde....
I don't believe that. Unless some newer technology supersedes it, I think it is indeed the near future, given it's current penetration. That's not to suggest paper will go away completely nor that paper isn't currently a better medium for some applications.

If you have some supporting evidence or logic, I'll consider it.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I agree that market saturation factors into the results. I also wonder if the poll being conducted by telephone skews the results toward more traditional answers, even though they do claim a 95% level of confidence in the results. I wonder if older (and less likely to like new technology) people would be the more likely type of person to participate in a survey like this. I also wonder what results a survey conducted through the internet or in-person on the street would bring.

Also, the article leaves many things unclear when you compare it to the questions asked. For the final numbers, did they include the preferences of everyone who answered the survey regardless of how many books they said they read on question 1 (even if they hadn't read a book in the past year)?

Quote:

Only 15% preferred ebooks; 10% were undecided.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Alex, you seem to be posting a lot of articles about paper books. Is there something you want to tell us?
Heh. I am just the messenger.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote