Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often has your T1 crashed/frozen? (after using it at least 3 days)
Once 38 23.60%
2-3 times 26 16.15%
More than 3 times 35 21.74%
Never 62 38.51%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #106
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Interesting tidbit of info.
While reading at work today...the T1 was lying flat on my desk while I "hovered" over it reading...a fly landed on it and "walked" across it left to right...the darn page turned...then it walked "up" and the page turned back to the page I was still reading.

Not making it up, really...

I was a bit stunned that it took so little pressure to page turn.
Now if I can only train that fly to turn pages on command...talk about lazy hehehe.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #107
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
While reading at work today...the T1 was lying flat on my desk while I "hovered" over it reading...a fly landed on it and "walked" across it left to right...the darn page turned...then it walked "up" and the page turned back to the page I was still reading.

Now if I can only train that fly to turn pages on command...talk about lazy hehehe.
I had the same happen with my 950. Went home to Venice over the summer - and we have so many pesky mosquitoes around there that the page turns became frequent - and bothersome.

I noticed even smoking will do it - something small ash particles, barely visible, can trigger a page turn.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #108
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:

It takes NO pressure to trigger the touchscreen. It has infrared sensors around the edges - interrupting the IR is what triggers the screen, not your touch, per se.

The only time I had the 'page flipping' was when I made the mistake of trying to blow dust off the screen with the T1 turned on.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #109
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
Kai Winters,

The touch screen of the Sony works via IR sensors embedded in the bezel surrounding the screen, rather than by pressure. It is possible to turn the page without even touching the screen. An object breaking the grid formed by the IR beams will trigger a page turn. A fly, a mosquito, or a hair can cause undesired and unexpected page-turns.

ETA: I see that Khalleron was conveying the same info at the same time . Oops.
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #110
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
Just had a look on the UK forums and noticed its not been raised here yet. Posted it now as a query, the more comments they get the more likely they'll be to prioritise the fix.
The readers are in the Netherlands now too, and have exactly the same problem.
I tried to pass it by phone to Sony Netherlands but the person did not understand it.
I have 2 readers and both have the problem.
But no book error tiggers it, I can read the same book where reader no1 crashes,on reader 2 with no problem and the other way aroud too.
And after a reset, you can read the page without problems.
But for now, I don't know a way to pass this trough sony.
I posted it to the Dutch sony forum and get the following response:
Quote:
Thank you for posting on the Sony Forum.
In an effort to give a quick and correct answer to your question, one of the forums experts has escalated your post to our Technical Support team, who will provide them with the information required as quickly as possible.
You can expect one of the forum experts to get back to you with the answer very soon.

Best regards

The Sony Massive
Don't know what to do else then send my 2 sony's back to the shop.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #111
dedgod
Enthusiast
dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle PW2
I can confirm that doing the page turn swipe at the bottom of the screen triggers the rapid page turn problem. I have further noticed an unusual behavior. As I was reading an epub, it started highlighting a word on the new page with every page turn swipe. (i.e. read page 1, swipe to turn page, page 2 comes up and a word on page 2 becomes highlighted and the dictionary entry shows) It did this for every swipe page turn until I pressed reset and power to reboot.

This is acting like there is a memory leak in the operating system. Given that Android is such an immature OS, I'm not surprised. I don't think the problems will go away until Sony releases an update. In the meantime, I've come to accept that the reader will need to be reset every few days. Be on the lookout for an strange behavior of the reader as it could indicate an immanent failure.

If you hit the home button when the pages start flipping, it stops and it will be easier to find you page after the reset.
dedgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #112
Dterm
Dterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: T1
This has become quite annoying on my T1. It happened again last night (pages flipping and screen freeze after pressing home).
I didn't have a paperclip handy to do a hard reset and tried putting it to sleep/waking it a few times instead. The screen came back to life after maybe 5 minutes of this or so.
Maybe it's some kind of screen power-cycle that is happening.

My question is: Should I wait for a firmware fix, or replace the unit at this point? I don't want to keep replacing them if they'll only develop the same problem after a while.
We need Sony to give an update - if even to say they are working on it!!

This is a shame, because I quite like the unit otherwise!
Dterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #113
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Thanks for the info.
Still trying, without success, to train the fly to do it on command.
Will keep updated...
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #114
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:

Ant
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #115
prsita
Enthusiast
prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: PRS 650
Today I have used for the first time the T1 arrived yesterday (I live in Italy) and I have experienced, after a couple of hours of reading, the common problem (suddenly, with an epub file, the pages become to turn automatically and after the reader system crashed; I had to try several times to make a hard reset, after it, it was possible to read the same file regularly).

It's a shame that Sony made an operating system without testing it. J have also the Nook Touch bought few days after the release and I have not experienced a problem so far. It is supposed that Sony is better than Barnes and Noble. But it seeems that is true the contrary.

Last edited by prsita; 10-22-2011 at 02:28 PM.
prsita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #116
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
I've only had it freeze up once, when rapidly deleting books from a collection without waiting for the screen to refresh, so this hasn't been a problem for me.

I understand it is happening on periodicals. When I was looking at the BOOKS.DB awhile ago I noticed there is a very complex view that is created for periodicals and maybe it has something to do with not enough memory or a memory leak in that case. That doesn't explain the problem with books however.

Since it has been working perfectly for me I wonder if it has anything to do with DRM books since I don't have any. I read mainly epubs with an occasional PDF now and then.

So when anyone experiences a problem it might be useful if they can say if the books has DRM or not. It may have nothing to do with DRM per se, just that it might take more processing/and or memory.

Also since users are experiencing the problem after reading for a while that may indicate a memory leak in the OS. So a shut down or reset would free up the memory.

Again I haven't had a single problem with reading and I use page swipes 99.999% of the time. I also have WiFi turned off unless I'm using the browser, maybe that makes a difference.

Last edited by Robert22; 10-22-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #117
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post
I've only had it freeze up once, when rapidly deleting books from a collection without waiting for the screen to refresh, so this hasn't been a problem for me.

I understand it is happening on periodicals. When I was looking at the BOOKS.DB awhile ago I noticed there is a very complex view that is created for periodicals and maybe it has something to do with not enough memory or a memory leak in that case. That doesn't explain the problem with books however.

Since it has been working perfectly for me I wonder if it has anything to do with DRM books since I don't have any. I read mainly epubs with an occasional PDF now and then.

So when anyone experiences a problem it might be useful if they can say if the books has DRM or not. It may have nothing to do with DRM per se, just that it might take more processing/and or memory.

Also since users are experiencing the problem after reading for a while that may indicate a memory leak in the OS. So a shut down or reset would free up the memory.

Again I haven't had a single problem with reading and I use page swipes 99.999% of the time. I also have WiFi turned off unless I'm using the browser, maybe that makes a difference.
My experience is the same - I almost always use a swipe to turn the page and I read for long periods. The only crashes I have had were with a DRMed book and once I removed the DRM I had no more crashes.

The only time I had the page turning error was when I tried to blow dust off the screen with the unit on. Since then I've always made sure I had the unit off when cleaning it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #118
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I had a page flipping touch-screen freeze on a non-DRM'ed book today. I went 11 days with no issues with books and then had 2 in the last 24 hours.

I also suspect it is related to memory management, which is why I think that if you open the dictionary or browser (and also possibly if you put it to sleep) while you are reading you won't have the freeze issue because it is triggering a command which releases memory.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #119
CedroRosso
Enthusiast
CedroRosso began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
It happens on non-DRM epubs here.
CedroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #120
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I also suspect it is related to memory management, which is why I think that if you open the dictionary or browser (and also possibly if you put it to sleep) while you are reading you won't have the freeze issue because it is triggering a command which releases memory.
That could explain why I haven't got the freeze issue: I read in English, witch is not my native language. I use the dictionary a lot.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote