Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
daletsteele
Enthusiast
daletsteele began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7", iPhone 10, iMac, Kindle Paperwhite
Question Kindle Touch & Recipes?

I'm not sure if this is a Calibre or Kindle post but I'll try here. I've noticed that my new Touch isn't giving me periodical Home, Section/Articles or Clipping features that I had in the past for various recipes. I'm not sure if it is necessary to modify the recipes (New York Times, SF Chronicle, Jakarta News, Sacramento Bee etc) or maybe this is just a limitation with the current kindle software. The user guide shows these features but I assume this is geared for Amazon subscriptions. I don't enjoy the table of contents option to review articles nearly as much. I'll keep looking for answers on this and am curious if others have noticed it as well.

Happy Holidays.
daletsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I would love to know this as well.

I liked that old news files would go into the periodicals folder. Now they just accumulate in the main directory and I have to go back and delete them.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
You need to upgrade to todays calibre release
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickredding View Post
You need to upgrade to todays calibre release
Just loaded it. It refers to USB transfer fix for Kindle Fire periodicals. Hopefully it will fix Touch periodicals as well. I guess I won't know until tomorrow. :-)

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

I don't have a KTouch but I'm guessing from your description of the problem that the KTouch uses the same mechanism as the Fire to decide whether to use a news reader for a document or a book reader.

It sounds like you are getting the book reader, and this would be because the EXTH[501] field of the metadata is not set to NWPR (for newspaper). The latest release of calibre fixes this. HOWEVER, if you email the mobi to your Kindle, Amazon will overwrite the EXTH[501] field with PDOC which will put you back to the book reader. If you transfer the mobi via USB it doesn't get overwritten and you'll get the news reader which is what you obviously want.

There doesn't seem to be any way around the email issue. Unfortunate, but "that's progress" I guess (sarcasm).
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
Stingo
Fanatic

Nope. Did not work with e-mail. If I use USB I might as well delete manually. Just another Touch quirk to deal with.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Quote:
The latest release of calibre fixes this. HOWEVER, if you email the mobi to your Kindle, Amazon will overwrite the EXTH[501] field with PDOC which will put you back to the book reader. If you transfer the mobi via USB it doesn't get overwritten and you'll get the news reader which is what you obviously want.
Nope. Did not work with e-mail. If I use USB I might as well delete manually.
Exactly what you were told would happen.

You might want to consider using the calibre content server. This isn't as convenient as email, but you can grab the file on the run via wireless and it should still be a periodical when it enters your device.

Or can you email it to your email (non-Amazon) account and grab it from the web?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Just another Touch quirk to deal with.
True (Touch and Fire), I don't know why Amazon keeps making things so difficult. I guess they're just following Apple's example.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You might want to consider using the calibre content server. This isn't as convenient as email, but you can grab the file on the run via wireless and it should still be a periodical when it enters your device.

Or can you email it to your email (non-Amazon) account and grab it from the web?
If you transfer files using these mechanisms the Kindle Fire will not recognize them as documents that can be opened as MOBI's until you either restart the device or follow the instructions in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=89

This might also be true for the KTouch since it seems to be behaving just like the Fire. I've resigned myself to using USB transfer for getting MOBI's onto my Fire. In view of the alternatives, it's the easiest way to do it.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Stingo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Exactly what you were told would happen.

I believe in testing things myself to see if they work.

I thought the content server did not work on the Kindle? THe Kindle browser will not accept the port and OSX will not allow a lower port?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #10
readbeam
readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
It sounds like you are getting the book reader, and this would be because the EXTH[501] field of the metadata is not set to NWPR (for newspaper).
Just to clarify: The result from this is, that the Kindle doesn't display the news source index, correct?
readbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
Stingo
Fanatic

It does not display the news table of contents/index correctly if you e-mail the document to the Kindle Touch using Amazon's service.
It does if you side load it using your trusty USB cable.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
readbeam
readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.readbeam once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
So either download via USB or from readbeam.com directly to the Kindle.
Just added "download", so this may come in handy.

All is dandy as long as you bypass mailing via the Amazon servers. I wonder if this is a bug or done on purpose?
readbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #13
Stingo
Fanatic

Don't know if Redbeam will work since I am not familiar with the service.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #14
daletsteele
Enthusiast
daletsteele began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7", iPhone 10, iMac, Kindle Paperwhite
Ha! I just discovered this workaround by leaving my Kindle Touch attached & charging overnight. When Calibre 8.27 started up in the morning to send my daily news out those files transferred directly by cable had all kindle features including sections, articles, clipping etc. The same files emailed out didn't. This is very helpful but I'm used to the email solution and hope the mobile read/calibre community can overcome this problem. Meanwhile, do we know yet if the Calibre content strategy works? I'll give it a try next.

Thanks, Dale
daletsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daletsteele View Post
This is very helpful but I'm used to the email solution and hope the mobile read/calibre community can overcome this problem.
The fix for this problem is in Amazon's hands. Amazon has decided to "help" the user and reassign every item that a user sends to their Kindle via email a PDOC tag, see post 5 above.

If I owned a Kindle I would be submitting complaints to Amazon and ask them to quit overwriting the EXTH[501] field with PDOC. If I wanted the book to have a PDOC tag I would have put it there.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, recipes, sections