Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Two little questions

I just bought my Kobo and I was wandering if I can charge it with my iPhone charger ( I will change the usb cord, of course )

And what will happen when I have to replace my Kobo (I hope it will take many, many years... ) will I be able to acces my library and download my books in my new Kobo? (I feel a little frustrated about the DRM restictions )
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Yes, I plug the USB cable into the USB end of my iPod wall charger - works fine.

For most books, you can download the epub version from Kobo's website - most people do this as a back-up. Just open it in Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) and then you'll be able to load it onto a future Kobo (or other e-reader)
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The books always stay in your library so if you get another reader that excepts E-pub you can plug it into the Kobo desktop app. Or if you (Like everyone else) hates DRM you can remove it very easily (The difficulty in removing it is way over rated) Then you could download them in ADE and transfer them to a Kindle as well.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a couple a books that I bought with iBook and I tried to transfer them to my Kobo using ADE but they show me only blank pages. Am I missing a step? I autorised my computer and my Kobo but the books still won't open
Old 04-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Apple uses it's own form of DRM - they won't work on Kobo devices.

Books from Kobo and Sony work, as do DRM-free books (Project Gutenburg, etc).
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle58 View Post
I have a couple a books that I bought with iBook and I tried to transfer them to my Kobo using ADE but they show me only blank pages. Am I missing a step? I autorised my computer and my Kobo but the books still won't open
With Apple DRM they won't work. Did you try and view them in ADE? What did you see?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
estelle58
Cat lover

I'm seeing the table of content but only blank pages in ADE
Old 04-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle58 View Post
I'm seeing the table of content but only blank pages in ADE
Ah, this verifies that it is not unique to Kobo but is indeed a DRM problem with the file. In ePUB the typical method of DRM is to not use in on the ePub level but instead use it on some of the internal files. Thus you can open the file and even see the TOC and info about title and author which are not under DRM but the pages themselves are encrypted.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
estelle58
Cat lover

So to transfer them to my Kobo I would have to remove the DRM? Can it be done? I only have a dozen books on my iPhone, I think I will have to continue reading them on the phone and buy the new ones with the Kobo bookstore so I will be able to read them on my Kobo and on my phone with the Kobo app. What I liked was that I actually had the backups of the iPhone books on my PC, I guess I will have to do them with each book I will buy for the Kobo.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
digiSara
Groupie

Unforunately there is no way to remove the DRM from iBooks yet. Most other ones yes, but not iBooks.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
This is silly.

DRM is a terrible idea.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
jstoughtenger
jstoughtenger began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
how do you remove DRM?
jstoughtenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you don't want to download Adobe ePUB versions of your Kobo books, as backups, and you are looking for a way to backup kepub versions, in case Kobo books goes away, you can backup those books on your computer.

The kobobooks that are currently in the library of the desktop software are stored in a folder with an address like this: C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub . This is the Windows 7 path, YMMV with other OS.

The problem is that once your book is no longer in the desktop library, it is no longer in that directory on your computer. If you want to backup a copy of any book you have ever purchased/downloaded from kobobooks.com, then you need to run a bit of software that will take any book that ever lands in the directory and back it up somewhere else. The trick is to set-up a one way sync--so that books that go into the kepub directory are copied into that one, but unaffected by deletions from your original kepub directory.I use a free program called Allway Sync. I have set it up so that it automatically copies files/books from C:\Users\Vicki\MyName\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub into a file in MyDocuments I call kobo backup. Books come in, but they never leave

Last edited by taming; 06-06-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: clarity
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoughtenger View Post
how do you remove DRM?
It is against mobile read rules to tell folks how to do that. Use your google super powers.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote