Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
WWScoobyDo
WWScoobyDo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Question Nook Color and Google Book epub downloads

I downloaded a few free epub books from Google Books using the web browser on the Nook Color. The epub's went to the My Downloads folders. I was able to read them just fine from the library>my files>mydownloads.

A little bit later was downloading a few more books and my download list was getting cluttered so I hit "clear list" or something like that. Guess what? ALL the epub books I downloaded were deleted from the My Downloads file.

Is this the expected behavior? How can I get around this? I could not figure out anyway to move a file out of the my downloads folder.
WWScoobyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWScoobyDo View Post
I downloaded a few free epub books from Google Books using the web browser on the Nook Color. The epub's went to the My Downloads folders. I was able to read them just fine from the library>my files>mydownloads.

A little bit later was downloading a few more books and my download list was getting cluttered so I hit "clear list" or something like that. Guess what? ALL the epub books I downloaded were deleted from the My Downloads file.

Is this the expected behavior? How can I get around this? I could not figure out anyway to move a file out of the my downloads folder.
I believe you have to do it via usb to computer. Move the files to My Files / Books.

People have requested a file manager for the NOOKcolor.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
WWScoobyDo, I think you have discovered something that I haven't seen anybody else report. I just did a test, and the same thing happened to me! I downloaded one book from Google and one book from Feedbooks. They both showed up in My Files > My Downloads. I was able to view the books just fine. I went into the Browser Downloads and cleared the list, and you are correct that the books are deleted from My Files! I would not have expected this action. I thought it would have just emptied the list but not delete the file content. I guess in the future just make sure that you follow SCION's suggestion and connect your NC via USB cable to your computer to move the books out of My Files > Downloads into My Files > Books before you clear the Download list. Thanks for posting this issue.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
On a device with limited storage, though, it makes a certain kind of sense. We're used to the behavior of desktop browsers, where it just clears the list of pointers, because hard drive storage is vast. That said, there really ought to be some kind of warning/explanatory message before the files are deleted.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's ironic, however, because they have neglected to provide the option to delete any of your side-loaded content directly from the device! And the picture gallery delete option appears to have a bug in it that restores your deleted content so you have to manually remove it...
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
WWScoobyDo
WWScoobyDo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
5GB internal storage compared to the average epub book size is still pretty vast. It seems that file handling in general is pretty rough around the edges right now. For a device that can connect to the internet via Wifi, it doesn't make much sense that connecting to a computer is required for proper file management.

I have no experience with the original Nook. I'm really hope that B&N develops improved firmware.
WWScoobyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWScoobyDo View Post
5GB internal storage compared to the average epub book size is still pretty vast. It seems that file handling in general is pretty rough around the edges right now. For a device that can connect to the internet via Wifi, it doesn't make much sense that connecting to a computer is required for proper file management.

I have no experience with the original Nook. I'm really hope that B&N develops improved firmware.
I totally agree. The internal storage is plenty for its purpose as an eReader.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
It's ironic, however, because they have neglected to provide the option to delete any of your side-loaded content directly from the device! And the picture gallery delete option appears to have a bug in it that restores your deleted content so you have to manually remove it...
If I'm not mistaken, though, it's a different chunk of software. The stock Android browser, even under 2.2, just works that way. On my Droid, though, the screen layout makes it more obvious that you're deleting the file rather than cleaning up a "recently used" list.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The downloaded files show up in the folder structure in My Files. To me (and I suspect most people) that implies that they have been permanently stored in the main memory. When I clear my Downloads List on my Mac, it doesn't delete all of the files in my Mac's Downloads folder. The NC gives you a message that it is going to clear the cache when you clear the downloads list. To me cache means cookies, history, temporary Internet files and not downloaded files. I don't think it is a reasonable expectation for most people to guess that behavior. At least now that I am aware of it then I can work around it.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Well said Bookworm_Girl. Your explanation is logical; my expectations are the same.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The NC is the first Android device that I have ever owned so I have no experience base to compare how other Android devices typically work. All I can do is compare to my experience with other devices and platforms.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
jasonkchapman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I don't think it is a reasonable expectation for most people to guess that behavior. At least now that I am aware of it then I can work around it.
I didn't say it was reasonable. I said it was stock Android behavior and that, considering the design constraints for Android, it's understandable. There's a difference between discussion and argument.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I wasn't arguing, and I know you weren't either. Your explanation was very helpful to me about how other Android device browsers work too.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
jasonkchapman
Guru

Oh. Cool! Sorry for misreading you, Bookworm_Girl.

All of this being said, someone should probably add this fact to the "helpful hints" thread that's running around here somewhere. It's just the kind of surprise new users ought to know about.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

No worries! I was just trying to tie my response back to the OP's question about whether he should "expect" the files to be deleted. I think it's a great idea to add this behavior to the tips thread.