Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #211
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Just finished Bonk by Mary Roach; a very interesting review of human sexuality. Her delightful sense of humor made this a funny as well as interesting read. Every bit as good as Packing for Mars
A second from me for Bonk. Read it a couple of weeks ago and totally agree with cassidym.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #212
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Has anybody read The Book of Universes by John D. Barrow? If so, I'd like to hear your opinion.

Thanks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #213
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Just finished Bonk by Mary Roach; a very interesting review of human sexuality. Her delightful sense of humor made this a funny as well as interesting read. Every bit as good as Packing for Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
A second from me for Bonk. Read it a couple of weeks ago and totally agree with cassidym.
A third from me for Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach. I'm nearly through reading it, and it is as funny as it is informative. I'll be doing a brief write up in the Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading? thread when I finish it in a couple of days.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #214
Ixt
Ixt began at the beginning.

Device: K3
I've started reading Bonk and I must admit it has an interesting subject but sometimes I just can't stand her humor. It just feels fake, unnatural. Sometimes I do laugh, well, most of the time but there are moments where it feels so forced that I just can't continue reading.

Maybe it's because I've watched the TED speech and she repeated several jokes there.

Last edited by Ixt; 09-01-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Ixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:44 AM   #215
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixt View Post
I've started reading Bonk and I must admit it has an interesting subject but sometimes I just can't stand her humor. It just feels fake, unnatural. Sometimes I do laugh, well, most of the time but there are moments where it feels so forced that I just can't continue reading.

Maybe it's because I've watched the TED speech and she repeated several jokes there.
I watched the TED talk too, and I don't think I'll read her book. I think that humor is a valuable addition to a book, but too much of it gets boring, and it shouln't be the main driving force of a book. Of course I suppose it's just a matter of taste. But her stand-up comedian act didn't convince me.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #216
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I recently read "The Reluctant Mr. Darwin" by David Quammen. It is mainly about what Darwin was doing between the Beagle voyage and the publication of "On the Origin of Species". What made it especially interesting for me was the interleaving of description of the events in Darwin's personal life with his life in science.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #217
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
What made it especially interesting for me was the interleaving of description of the events in Darwin's personal life with his life in science.
If you like that style, you should try Michio Kaku's Einstein's Cosmos. He writes about Einstein's science then about Einstein the man. Best book on Einstein I've read

Last edited by MickeyC; 09-25-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #218
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
If you like that style, you should try Michio Kaku's Einstein's Cosmos. He writes about Einstein's science the about Einstein the man. Best book on Einstein I've read
Hi, cassidym,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will certainly add it to my to-read list. Also, thanks for the general pointer to Kaku. I see that my library has several of his works.

Cheers,
Bruce Fisher
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:13 AM   #219
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
This looks interesting. Anyone read it?

From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time
Sean Carroll

http://www.amazon.com/Eternity-Here-...=pd_rhf_shvl_2

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. No one is better equipped to take readers on a rollercoaster ride through time, space, and the origins of the universe than Caltech theoretical physicist Carroll, cofounder of Cosmic Variance, one of the top science blog sites. We're not thinking small here, Carroll announces with glee before launching into his topic. Time is a medium we move through and a way to sequence events. But the Arrow of Time' is also the only feature of the universe with one irreversible direction: time goes forward. This fact plays an important role in the second law of thermodynamics: the entropy (disorderliness) of an isolated system either remains constant or increases with time. This has implications for our understanding of the Big Bang origins of the universe. We may not be able to travel back in time, but we can find ways to peer back across it and see clues to how the universe evolved, thanks to such discoveries as quantum mechanics and relativity theory. Carroll writes with verve and infectious enthusiasm, reminding readers that science is a journey in which getting there is, without question, much of the fun. Illus. (Jan.)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #220
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another I ran across: Brian Cox - Why does e=mc2

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Does-mc2-S...6865396&sr=8-4

Anyone read? What did you think?

He upcoming book looks good as well:

The Quantum Universe: (And Why Anything That Can Happen, Does)

http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Univer...6865396&sr=8-3

Last edited by kennyc; 09-24-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #221
kennyc

Just finished The Information by James Gleick.

http://www.amazon.com/Information-Hi...6990487&sr=1-1

Great job as are all his books. I'd give it a 5/5 but I was already familiar with much of it so ... 4/5 Definitely recommended, he covers much of the computer history -- babbage, turing, shannon, wikipedia etc.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-25-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #222
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

About 60 pages into Hidden Realities by Brian Greene and so far like it a lot. It's about multiple universes and very interesting. He does a great job describing the uncertainty principle; in fact the most logical one I've read.

More to follow

Last edited by MickeyC; 10-04-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #223
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
About 60 pages into Hidden Realities by Brian Greene and so far like it a lot. It's about multiple universes and very interesting. He does a great job describing the uncertainty principle; in fact the moist logical one I've read.

More to follow
I've not read, or even seen, that. His The Elegant Universe is one of my favourite non-fiction books; one of the most readable on its subject I've ever come across. Have you read others by him you'd recommend?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #224
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Only The Elegant Universe which I liked a lot.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #225
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
This looks interesting. Anyone read it?

From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time
Sean Carroll

(Jan.)
No but just got a copy. Will post my thoughts when I get to it.