Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
daedalus13
daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPC
New Nook -Rooting & syncing readers?

I am looking for an e-ink reader that I can sync to other devices, and specifically, my own, non-drm'ed books. I haven't been able to find this ANYWHERE - but it looks like I might be able to do this with a nook

I have an android phone (and an ipad, but I need to figure out how to install android on that ). As the nook is based on android, it seems like I can install a reader app on it.

It seems like nothing really _natively_ supports sideloaded/personal doc syncing, but it looks like FBReader can with a 3rd party app, and it SEEMS like Aldiko wants to add this functionality soon.

It seems like the new nook was just released, so this might be premature, but does anyone know if it is/will be rootable?

And if so, what reader do people suggest? It seems like FBReader is the only one that can sync my personal documents across devices, but I am wondering if anyone knows of anything else that does/imminently plans on having this functionality...

Thanks!
daedalus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus13 View Post
It seems like nothing really _natively_ supports sideloaded/personal doc syncing, but it looks like FBReader can with a 3rd party app, and it SEEMS like Aldiko wants to add this functionality soon.
Unfortunately the only app I'm aware of that does this is iBooks, which of course is not an Android app. On my NC I'm running Coolreader, Nook, Kindle, Aldiko, FBReader, and Moon+ Reader on Android and none of them allow non-purchased book syncing. On my iPad I'm running iBooks, Stanza, Bluefire Reader, Nook, Kindle, iFlow Reader, and eReader, and only iBooks allows this. So that is one out of the 13 apps on Android/iOS I run that have the capability. Frustrating to say the least.

Definition: I assume by syncing you mean syncing a book's bookmarks, highlighting, and current location between multiple devices.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
On the topic of just rooting the new Nook (Simple Touch Reader), can anyone predict anything at this point, or do we just need to wait and see?
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
IF you use FBReader on android, there is an app that will sync between multiple android devices.

see this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119184

I use aldiko, so I haven't tried this app yet, but I think I might give it a go.

It is too soon to know if the new Nook Touch will be hacked/rooted, but I would guess that it would be!
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote