Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
weeziepepper
Enthusiast
weeziepepper began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150, Astak Pocket Pro
Question about converting DRM lit to epub

Hello.

I have convertlit gui installed on my computer. I bought the Astak Pocket Pro (it's charging right now - yeah!) and need to convert a whole bunch of DRM lit ebooks to epub so they will work on my ereader.
From what I understand I can "downconvert" the lit files to remove DRM. After that can I use Calibre to convert the non-DRM lit files to epub?
Then in order to read the new epub files I have to download and register Adobe Digital Editions, right?

I just want to make sure I don't mess this up. Thanks.

Weezie
weeziepepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I'm not sure. ADE is necessary if you have DRM ePub books but, at least in the computer, yo don't need it for non DRM ePub books. If you have converted them, I think that ADE works only like a viewer. I don't know if you have to use it to transfer them, but I don't think so.

I do what you says a lot, and I only downloaded ADE when I bought a DRM ePub book.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Your description of how to get from DRMed LIT to DRM-free ePub is correct.

You don't need to use Desktop Adobe Digital Editions at all for DRM-free ePubs. Just copy them over to the Pocket Pro via USB and put them in whatever folders you want.

If you buy DRMed ePubs, then you will need Desktop Adobe Digital Editions to get them from the ebook store. You can then either strip their DRM (ineptepub.pyw) and put the DRM-free copies on the Pocket Pro, or authorize your Pocket Pro (plug it in via USB and open up Desktop ADE, which will have an authorize option). Once authorized, you can put DRM-ridden ePubs in any folders on your Pocket Pro or you can have Desktop ADE copy them over for you (and then they will all end up in one folder).

What the authorize step does is put a decryption key onto the Pocket Pro, so that mobile ADE can decrypt any DRMed ePub (or PDF) it opens with that key.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
weeziepepper
Enthusiast
weeziepepper began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150, Astak Pocket Pro
Thanks for the info.
I'll downconvert all my lit ebooks then use calibre to convert to epub. Then I can download ADE for any future ebooks I buy. I'll probably try to buy epub or pdf most of the time so I'll need ADE for those anyway.
weeziepepper is offline   Reply With Quote