Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Kirari
Obsessed
Kirari has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kirari has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kirari has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Red Sony PRS-505
I need an eReader for...

Ok, I had decided on the K2 originally but now I'm not so sure..

I have searched the forums and have sort-of found an answer to my question, but would like an "updated" opinion.

I want an eReader mainly for (and in order):

1. Manga (I read a lot and I mean a lot)
2. Fiction

So my question is:

Is the Sony 505 still the recommended eReader for this or is there something more recommended now? (Don't say DX because I will cry)

Cheers in advance!
Kirari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I can't say about manga as I have no interest.

But for fiction I went with the kindle (used kindle 1 in my case) for two reasons.

1. The convenience of the whispernet
2. Selection in the Amazon store was better, and several books that intersted me that I looked up were cheaper in the Amazon store than the Sony store.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
herbalist
Enthusiast
herbalist began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 770, Irex Iliad
I use the iliad for reading manga and novels (chinese) and I am very happy with it. It is only slightly smaller than the size of a tankubon so most of the time I can read the scripts clearly. In general, if you read a lot of mangas (Scanlations?), a larger screen is better esp if the original scanlated material is printed on pink pages.
herbalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given the choices of the K1, K2, & 505, I would say the K1 is out of the running due to only 4 shades and poor dithering. The K2 has 16 shades. The 505 has 8 shades, but dithers well enough that you won't notice much difference between the 8 shades and the K2's 16 shades.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I'd reccomend the 505 because .cbr and .cbz files for Manga are easily converted to .lrf files using Calibre. Also, you can zoom and/or put it in landscape mode for a wider, scrolling page. I'm not sure how the K2 handles any of that. The only other difference I can think of is that you can organize the manga more easily on the 505, and if your manga files are very large you've got easier memory expansion with tht 505. Assuming the K2 has a way of viewing or converting .cbr/.cbz files and zooming or landscape mode on them, the experience is going to be very similar.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre can also convert the CBR and CBZ files to Mobipocket. So that's not an issue for the K2. Plus the K2 has plenty of onboard ram for manga.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:54 AM   #7
Evi1d33d
Enthusiast
Evi1d33d began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-505
Considering the K2 is almost $100 more I would recommend 505. Of course K2 have some limited free internet access (wikipedia) which could make it "The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy"-ish. Also 505 takes memory cards if you want to have a larger collection of manga with you.

Obviously KDX is the manga viewer of choice
Evi1d33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #8
Kirari
Obsessed
Kirari has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kirari has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kirari has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Red Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the replies!

After much debate with my wants vs needs, I've decided on the 505 and have ordered a RED one ...the colour was pretty much the deciding factor! hehe
Kirari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirari View Post
Thanks for the replies!

After much debate with my wants vs needs, I've decided on the 505 and have ordered a RED one ...the colour was pretty much the deciding factor! hehe
Well done! The red one is nice.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirari View Post
Thanks for the replies!

Welcome to the RED 505 Club!
Let us know how it works out for you.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Whats with this Red fad??
Almost everyone wants to paint the town red.
I preferred a Red Nokia N95 over the others..Lucky me and Lucky you Kirari with your 505..
If only the Iliad was available in red..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Oh. Forgot to add.
Its somewhat of a pain to read manga on the Iliad. There is not enough memory for raw cbr/cbz files. Swap memory on an external card works but rendering is very slow. I havent tried to convert my comics to mobi though.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
herbalist
Enthusiast
herbalist began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 770, Irex Iliad
rhari, try to convert the mangas using JE-comics converter first...
herbalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
Evi1d33d
Enthusiast
Evi1d33d began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-505
Red 505 all the way
Evi1d33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
Terminal Illness
Terminal Illness began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad Book Edition
I've only just started reading manga on the iLiad and its pretty sweet.

iViewer works great with cbz's with minimal compression as are the majority of mine.
Dead Space at 1280x1981 works great, don't have to wait longer than 2 seconds for a page turn. These are colour images too.

So optimised images for iLiad should perform better.
Terminal Illness is offline   Reply With Quote