Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #16
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
From all the above, that's another reason not to get an i anything - Europe/UK markets are being ripped off to subsidise US, and others possibly - and yes, I know they all do it, but it is, for me, another tick/cross on the list !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #17
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
How are you subsidizing us again?
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
IMHO... there isn't anything free or really cheap.. especially if you buy a 3gs .. example.

If you buy the 3gs is maybe on the front end free or near free (immediate cost)
while the 4 series (4g or 4s) is 99 or 199 respectively.

Sure you have have an initial price that is low, BUT

what about monthly price?
Sure you may decide a smaller data plan or voice plan, but all the plan pricing is the same for all the phones.

Logic for me says.. bite the bullet and buy the newer technology.

I work in the technology field for almost 20 years.

Things get cheaper, faster and that makes it better, granted the older ones are still "viable" --i.e. you can do what the device initially was designed for BUT the newer stuff will be better.

One MAIN reason for getting the 4 series over the 3 is this:
Screen quality. Retina Display is a really big difference actually.
- You plan to read on the device.. try it out and see the difference.

2nd reason speed
- Faster processor, all devices will "feel" be perceived as slow as soon as you are familiar with the device.. it is a mental thing.. you will want it to go FASTER -- or is that just me.?? I start to demand more out of it..as it is more convenient to do things.. then I open more apps, multi-task etc, so.. it is perpetual to constantly want it to go faster as you do more with it.

- Operating system and Apps -- newer ones force you to have newer versions to support newer features.

--
While the 3gs is a affordable option, there is a caveat when it is associated with a contracted voice/data plan.

I don't like subsidized pricing, it makes you forget about the "hidden costs"

good luck.

p.s. I bought a 4g iphone used with warranty on ebay. The warranty has since expired. No worries. I take care of my electronics. But it is now officially unlocked by ATT/ Apple -- very flexible -necessity for international travel.

The used iphone cost was twice the price of a new subsidized.. but I am not locked into contract and now it is unlocked I have more resell value, when and if I want to upgrade to the new iphone 5.. I will be subsidizing myself. ;^)

i.e.
i am in Canada and noticed Fido is offering an iphone 4 for $0.00 but there is a 3 year contract! ouch

Last edited by tvuongpham; 07-25-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: additional info
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
As it turned out, I ended up going with the Motorola Atrix HD and I'm loving it so far.

Quickly climbing the learning curve of my first Android (or for that matter any smart-) phone.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote