Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
"Failed to open the file!" - Fictionwise non-DRM ePubs on Libre

I just downloaded my collection of multiformat purchases off Fictionwise as ePub (all non-DRM) and put them on the SD card that comes with the Libre. They're in a folder called Fantasy, and I moved the freebie text files that came with to a folder called Freebies. The folder and all the files show up fine.

When I try to open one of the ePub files I d/l'd off Fictionwise, however, I get the error "Failed to open the file!" I tried using Calibre to transfer them over and they simply didn't show up at all. (It puts them in a folder called Books, which the Libre seems to totally ignore.) When I moved those out of the Books folder the Calibre put there, I was left with the original "Failed to open the file!" error.

What am I missing here? The Libre is supposed to be compatible with ePub, correct? It's also not reading metadata as a note, it's listing them by filename. Not sure if this is normal for the Libre or not, only just got it.

Last edited by Nakor; 03-04-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Bigness
Bigness began at the beginning.

Device: Libre Pro
My Libre reads epub files fine. And Calibre (what's up with the backwards "re's" vs "er" anyway?) converted pdfs to epub, but I transfered them to the SD card in Windows Explorer (MyComputer?) instead of allowing Calibre to do it automatically. I had no trouble opening these files up. Maybe try that or they might have been corrupted in the download. Did you try to download in a different format and transfer tehm to the Libre and open them? I don't know if Fictionwise has different formats available though.

Oh and make sure Calbbre uses the SD card and not the onboard memory.
Bigness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm on Linux, so while I did use USB to connect the Libre to the computer, the Libre itself and the SD card show up as separate drives in Linux, and when I was copying them over I made sure to move them over to the SD card.

I had to head out to visit my chiropractor after posting above, but now that I'm back I'll start playing around and see what I can't come up with. I'll start with redownloading the files, perhaps individually rather than as a batch .zip.

As for Fictionwise formats, I don't remember them all off the top of my head, but they're available in 12 different formats (but if the book was listed as "MultiFormat" which is DRM-free, which mine were).
Old 03-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I seem to remember Fictionwise epub files were zipped. Importing into Calibre and then converting to epub worked. Sounds daft but I think that's what I did.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Nakor
Addict

Well it turned out to be a weird one. I tried popping the SD card right into my laptop after posting the above, and Ubuntu wouldn't even recognize that anything was there. So I put it back in the device and plugged it in via USB, and it wouldn't recognize that any more either. So I tried to reboot, and just before the Ubuntu login screen, X froze. (Even Ctrl-Alt-BkSpc didn't work.) Rebooted again, got back into Ubuntu, but it still wouldn't recognize either the device or SD card.

Growing suspicious, I rebooted over to my Windows Vista partition. I popped in the SD card and it read it just fine. So I popped open a command line and ran "chkdsk /f f:" on it -- and got this:

Windows is verifying files and folders...
\.Trash-1000\files\The Reluctant Swordsman_ The Seventh Sword Book One - Dave Du
ncan.jpg first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
\Fantasy\Duncan-FIGame.epub first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will
be truncated.
\Fantasy\Duncan-CEdge.epub first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will b
e truncated.
\Fantasy\fsf-December-2009.epub first allocation unit is not valid. The entry w
ill be truncated.
\Fantasy\Duncan-CWisdom.epub first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will
be truncated.

Bingo. The books read perfectly fine now, except for those that were specified in the error above (these are simply gone). Gonna retransfer those to the device, and I should be set.

Although, the device still lists them by filename and not by the book's actual title, which is mildly annoying, since the filenames from FW (as you can see above) are not the most legible at a glance.

//Edit: Come to think of it, Ubuntu only just released a kernel update, and I hadn't had any such problems with SD cards 'til then. I wonder if this is specific to the new kernel... may experiment later.
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Why not simply rename the books?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Nakor
Addict

Oh, I will. At the moment I'm just being lazy lol. After getting it working again I didn't feel like bothering with it any further for the moment.