Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
New 700 =)

I just upgraded to the PRS-700 from my 505. I'm actually kind of excited despite all the negatives with the screen that have been reported.

I'll let you know how I make out...!

TIME TO READ!
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I just upgraded to the PRS-700 from my 505. I'm actually kind of excited despite all the negatives with the screen that have been reported.
Awesomeness. I do want one too... even though I love my Kindle. But, my next ebook device purchase will probably be a Plastic Logic (or similar) device. Unless my Kindle breaks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Enjoy the 700 jaxx6166
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Congrats! Let us know what you think.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well...

Here's my opinion so far.

The screen glare reports seem highly over exaggerated. So far, reading in three separate rooms with three different lighting levels, I haven't noticed any crazy obvious visibility problems with glare.

So far I've been out in the Florida sun, in a low lit room (with the side light) , a low light room with the 100 watt reveal bulbs. And I was also out in my living room with 100 watt fluorescent bulbs.

I'll update you if anything changes. So far I've been reading "Way of Shadows."

For those of you that see the 700 in the Sony store, I have to say that you should check it out in a Borders if there is one nearby. The lighting is completely different. The Sony Store lights just don't do it justice. I'll update y'all after a few more weeks.

My only gripe right now is the Faux leather cover that came with it. It has some sort of sharp edge or something that digs into my hand, which the 505 did not have.

Oh. And for those of you wondering - the hooks on the 505 and 700 are exactly the same. The only difference between the two is the 700 is slightly wider and does not completely fit in the leatherette case because of the Stylus holder. I haven't tried any after-market covers yet to compare.

I think for now I'm going to keep my 505 in my gear box at work at the 700 at home on the night stand.
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Oh. And for those of you wondering - the hooks on the 505 and 700 are exactly the same. The only difference between the two is the 700 is slightly wider and does not completely fit in the leatherette case because of the Stylus holder. I haven't tried any after-market covers yet to compare.
Cause there arent any yet, Besides book armor, but thats not a leather cover, and it fits them because the book armors fit around the default Case. M-Edge says they will be releasing covers in mid Feb.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
M-Edge says they will be releasing covers in mid Feb.
Please keep us updated!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard

Well. It's been a week.

My only complaint: Battery life.

Wow. Just wow.

I had to recharge TWICE with the plug...! And it's not like I'm reading A LOT. I think I only logged about 200 page turns this week. I think I've used the light maybe for two hours of read time. I'm not completely draining the battery anymore, especially after the horror of what happened to my 505 on a drained battery (Half screen of death! Urgh!) So, I get to 50% and plug it in. Anyone else noticing problems with the battery holding a charge?

Does the 700 not go to sleep like my 505?
Old 01-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you will get used to the battery. it takes some time for you to prime it. im down to once a week with over 1500 page turns.

also you tend to think you use it less than you actually do.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
the 700 does 'sleep' but I suspect the live touchpanel is where the drain
is coming from. I'm not sure if there is a constant draw or only
when activated by pressure? I agree somewhat, battery could be better.
I do know that some firmware updates can address or even tweak battery
performance., although I'm not sure if this is even a concern with Sony.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
jaxx6166
Wizard

I think Server may be right.

The touch panel is what probably drains the most battery. I was using it last night for about an hour and a half or so and I watched my battery bar go from 3 to 2 in that time period.

Wonder if there will be a year and a half wait for firmware like with the 505
Old 01-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #12
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Wonder if there will be a year and a half wait for firmware like with the 505
Huh? The 505 came out in November 2007 -- it hasn't even been a year and a half since it was introduced!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #13
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
My only complaint: Battery life.
I've only had mine for a couple of days and it doesn't seem to holds power very long. It would be interesting if it kept track of the number of page turns and displayed it like the battery pic. I agree that it's probably hard to really understand how much I'm really using it, since it's knew and I'm all over the place checking things out. Maybe I should spend some time reading books on a full charge, for a more accurate estimate of battery life.

Is there any difference between charging between usb to computer versus AC?
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #14
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
the need to read and read and read and read....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
you will get used to the battery. it takes some time for you to prime it. im down to once a week with over 1500 page turns.

also you tend to think you use it less than you actually do.

One Thousand and Five Hundred page turns per charge is more than satisfactory
to me. I do have to work, pay mortgage, and have a social life....

thanks Andybaby for the rough battery stats....
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #15
Andybaby
Wizard

without using the light i can probably read 4 full Novels without charging. though 1 it more than enough... Ive never worried about the battery. on my 700 though.. when I see 2/4 bars i say. hey I should drag that charger out from under my bed, but i ussually forget, and then when i have 1/4. I ussually charge it once I get home, or before I fall asleep.

ive never thought, Hey, its gonna die if i dont get it into a charger soon. it just lasts. considering 2 hours with my laptop, and 36 hours with my cell (less if i actually use it) the 700 out lasts all of them. all ebook readers have good battery life.