Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Ebook prices look set to rise (UK)

Digital downloads could be hit by price hikes early next year as they become subject to UK tax rates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26716917
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This isn't something specific to the UK; it will affect all EU countries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There were discussions about also harmonising books and ebook VAT rates. I don't think that's going to happen in time for 1st January 2015 though, so yes, ebooks in the UK will go up by 16.5% (change of VAT rate from 3% to 20%) in 2015.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
From 3% to 20%?! That's obscene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There were discussions about also harmonising books and ebook VAT rates. I don't think that's going to happen in time for 1st January 2015 though, so yes, ebooks in the UK will go up by 16.5% (change of VAT rate from 3% to 20%) in 2015.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The obscene bit is rather more that Amazon etc are using Luxembourg to "do all their business" and pay cheap tax rates as opposed to paying the tax rates of the countries where their business is actually done...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This isn't something specific to the UK; it will affect all EU countries.
Why. I buy my Kindle books from amazon.com so how will this affect me?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
The obscene bit is rather more that Amazon etc are using Luxembourg to "do all their business" and pay cheap tax rates as opposed to paying the tax rates of the countries where their business is actually done...
I agree. And now smaller book sellers in the UK might be able to compete better.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Amazon passed on all the tax savings so will I be 'obscene' if I buy my books from Baen or Smashwords in 2015 ?
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
They should be paying cheaper tax rates in those countries as well, as should every other business. Why is the solution always to raise taxes rather than lower them to have parity across the board?

Quote:
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Amazon passed on all the tax savings so will I be 'obscene' if I buy my books from Baen or Smashwords in 2015 ?
That's your choice but I was simply using the word in response to Post #4 as a slightly sarcastic/ironic reaction to xg4bx's quote, "From 3% to 20%?! That's obscene."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I think a 20% VAT on most goods and services is a tad high. Of course if it is wisely spent by the government maybe not. I also don't think books/food or basic necessities should be taxed but that and $2.00 will still buy me a cup of coffee in a very few select establishments.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:54 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Why. I buy my Kindle books from amazon.com so how will this affect me?
That's strange. When I buy things from amazon.com they charge me VAT.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:04 AM   #13
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'm pretty certain Amazon.com already charges me full VAT on (at least some) Kindle books - it's difficult to tell with trad-pubbed books sometimes, as the prices fluctuate so much, but when I look at a random self-published book (where the publisher hasn't set different prices for customers in different countries), it seems quite obvious.

For example where the author says they've set the price on Amazon.com at $2.99, and it's $2.99 for Americans, it'll be $5.99 for me - which comes down to $2.99 + $2 Amazon surcharge + 20% VAT on top of that (and $3.69 for my German and French friends with accounts still on Amazon.com; they don't have the $2 surcharge but that looks an awful lot like added VAT that is well above 3%).

I keep hearing about the Luxembourg and 3% VAT thing, but it's never been 3% on Amazon.com for me - it used to be 15% but it's been 20% for at least a year. (On the other hand, there are some books where there is zero tax and zero surcharge added, i.e. a $2.99 self-published book is $2.99 for both Americans and me. I haven't been able to work out the logic yet.)
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:57 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I keep hearing about the Luxembourg and 3% VAT thing, but it's never been 3% on Amazon.com for me - it used to be 15% but it's been 20% for at least a year.
No, it only applies where books are currently sold by Amazon's Luxumbourg business, which I think is only the national European Amazon sites: UK, FR, DE, etc.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #15
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
"Agency" priced books shouldn't change, since they were already priced to allow for the VAT.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote