Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
olegk
olegk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
PRS-500 and Connect software vs. PDF with embedded fonts

Whenever I using PDF with embedded fonts both PC sotware (preview) and reader have the same problems:

1. Pages after 1000 displayed as blanks
2. Page turn time gradualy increases with page number and reaches 10 seconds around 600 page on reader (on PC it is not that bad but still grows enough to mention)

The problem that I read on number of languages including russian and hebrew and 10 sec turn time makes book unreadable (as I read a page in less than that)

Are there any tricks in generating PDF that may help me?...

Sony Support tried to feed me with story about inc-technology that in this case doesn't have anything to do with the problem...

The only reasonable explanation is that they repaginate through all pages to reach current if fonts are embedded...
olegk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Rasterize the PDFs before loading them o the reader or convert to html and then create an LRF with embedded fonts.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could try pdflrf to deal with this problem. Then the page turn won't be a problem and the PDF may even be more readable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #4
olegk

I tried pdf2lrf...
here is the source pdf and resulting lrf - results are "less than satisfactory"
Attached Files
File Type: zip slst.zip (3.01 MB, 395 views)
Old 11-02-2007, 01:54 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you embed a unicode font in the LRF?
Advert
Old 11-02-2007, 02:30 AM   #6
olegk

I tried... without visible success
Old 11-02-2007, 02:43 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm run lrf2lrs and look at the lrs file. Does it have the correct content?
Old 11-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
olegk

OK... I spent enough time with the device... and with Sony Support...

I decided to return it for now... There is no reason to spend time playing with different formats if I can use my UMPC to read any book in any format... bye bye Sony..