Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
it hurts my eyes, what ebook reader advice do you recommend?

I read a lot on my iPhone and I have to admit, it hurts my eyes after reading for hours. Blinking every time and so.....How is reading on an iPad? Same? Are ebook readers with e-ink much better?
If so, I just prefer color but does that mean that these color devices do not have e-ink?
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
E-ink is grey scale. Color is LCD. Reading for hours on any device is going to hurt your eyes because eyes aren't designed to focus at one distance for hours at a time.

With the phone, try lowering the brightness, going with the sepia background, etc.

I've been reading on the iPad since last summer and do not have any issues but I'm in the habit of getting up once an hour, stretching and doing some distance stuff with my eyes to give them a rest from close up focus.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
E-ink is grey scale. Color is LCD. Reading for hours on any device is going to hurt your eyes because eyes aren't designed to focus at one distance for hours at a time.

With the phone, try lowering the brightness, going with the sepia background, etc.

I've been reading on the iPad since last summer and do not have any issues but I'm in the habit of getting up once an hour, stretching and doing some distance stuff with my eyes to give them a rest from close up focus.
I was told raising the brightness actually helps, and lowering the brightness is bad because it make you squint.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

Yeah I did take some breaks too. Would you think that e-ink would be better? I just love the backlight, reading in dark spot, in bed etc.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
I can't read on LCD screens(Like my Nook Color), I get major eye strain. I can read on my Kindle (eInk) for hours on end though without problems.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:24 AM   #6
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
Yeah I did take some breaks too. Would you think that e-ink would be better? I just love the backlight, reading in dark spot, in bed etc.
I do 95% of my reading in low/no light conditions, so the backlight is great. I've an iPad and iPhone, and though I read on both fine, it is a bit easier reading on the iPad (because I can increase the text size). The eInk might work better for you... but perhaps you just need a larger device, in which case the iPad would satisfy. One thing's for sure: you'll find no consensus here. Some folks' eyes tire from the backlight; others' don't. And some folks' eyes tire from reading on tiny screens; others' don't. Personally, I'm glad the backlight doesn't bother me, as it seems silly to crawl in bed, turn on a 21st-century electronic reading device... and then activate a light bulb to illuminate text.
vonCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have both types (Kindle 3 & Nook Color) and definitely prefer the eInk device. I rarely read books on my Nook Color.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
I was told raising the brightness actually helps, and lowering the brightness is bad because it make you squint.
If lowering the brightness makes you squint then you need to see an eye doctor. You obviously need glasses, at least reading glasses.

The lower brightness causes your eyes to dilate which reduced "depth of field", meaning you eyes need to focus more precisely. When your eye's iris closes in bright light it can mask small focusing errors.

Last edited by dwig; 03-14-2011 at 06:18 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Have you tried enlarging the font? This is all a very individual thing. No one else's testimony is going to change your own experience. I read for hours on my iPhone with no problem. I read just fine on my iPad as well. I cannot stand to read long form on my computer -- which also has an lcd screen.

Maybe eInk will be better for you, maybe not. There is no universal truth about these things.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
bcgirl
Groupie

Talking Maybe take out my contact lenses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonCZ View Post
I do 95% of my reading in low/no light conditions, so the backlight is great. I've an iPad and iPhone, and though I read on both fine, it is a bit easier reading on the iPad (because I can increase the text size). The eInk might work better for you... but perhaps you just need a larger device, in which case the iPad would satisfy. One thing's for sure: you'll find no consensus here. Some folks' eyes tire from the backlight; others' don't. And some folks' eyes tire from reading on tiny screens; others' don't. Personally, I'm glad the backlight doesn't bother me, as it seems silly to crawl in bed, turn on a 21st-century electronic reading device... and then activate a light bulb to illuminate text.
I used to read A LOT! On my iPhone usually some samples/previews of books or nonfiction, so certain chapters but not a complete book in one run. But last weekend I did. I was so taken by this book that I could not stop. And then I found out it hurt my eyes. What could be a problem is the fact that I wear contact lenses. Sure enough I will try reading my iPhone again without them, since I don't need them for reading but distance.
I totally agree with you, I find it completely SILLY to use a reading light on an ebook reader device. When I found out that those don't have a backlight but need a reading light to read in the dark, I decided never ever to get those devices. Thats what I like so much about iPhone (or probably next step iPad!). Really can't get myself to buy a black/white ereader device that I cannot use in dark spots. Also, I just love colored covers, photos or other images.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Unless you have bifocal contacts, there is no close up correction. As you age, the eye's ability to compensate for close work deteriorates. Therefore, your secondary focus mechanisms are over-working, leading to eye strain. I would recommend either getting reading glasses (cheap) or bifocal lenses (less cheap). If that doesn't work, then eink may be your best option, in spite of no on board lighting.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
I used to read A LOT! On my iPhone usually some samples/previews of books or nonfiction, so certain chapters but not a complete book in one run. But last weekend I did. I was so taken by this book that I could not stop. And then I found out it hurt my eyes. What could be a problem is the fact that I wear contact lenses. Sure enough I will try reading my iPhone again without them, since I don't need them for reading but distance.
I totally agree with you, I find it completely SILLY to use a reading light on an ebook reader device. When I found out that those don't have a backlight but need a reading light to read in the dark, I decided never ever to get those devices. Thats what I like so much about iPhone (or probably next step iPad!). Really can't get myself to buy a black/white ereader device that I cannot use in dark spots. Also, I just love colored covers, photos or other images.
Why do you have an Iphone and a itouch?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
bcgirl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
Why do you have an Iphone and a itouch?
Because I got an iPod Touch for my birthday a few years ago, and last year I changed cell phones and preferred a iPhone :-)
Now my hubby uses the iPod Touch. Time for an iPad now?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:13 AM   #14
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
I just discovered iPod Touch's capabilities as ereader. I am saving up money to get ereader but for now I have to settle for iPod.

iBooks is great application and even though I don't see much of the text in one page it doesn't matter since I don't need to see text in advance.

I work as a programmer so I do 8 hours computer work a day. LCD doesn't really hurt my eyes at all but still I would prefer e-ink reader.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #15
bcgirl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaze View Post
I just discovered iPod Touch's capabilities as ereader. I am saving up money to get ereader but for now I have to settle for iPod.

iBooks is great application and even though I don't see much of the text in one page it doesn't matter since I don't need to see text in advance.

I work as a programmer so I do 8 hours computer work a day. LCD doesn't really hurt my eyes at all but still I would prefer e-ink reader.
I don't think it was the LCD screen. I was reading a paperback (!!) and had to blink a few times while reading (appt is made with optometrist for eye test again).
I prefer LCD, since I love reading on my iPhone, always have back light, I love to read in bed and anywhere so no worries about lights or so, books look more valuable than in black/white. Also when I read nonfiction books, am a photographer, then also prefer photos in colour.
Probably going to save money for the iPad2.

BTW you're right, don't need text in advance, you can only read one sentence at a time ;-)

Last edited by bcgirl; 03-14-2011 at 02:55 AM. Reason: forgot to add