Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
droople
Connoisseur
droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook,Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color
just delete books from database not from disk

Hi

I'm a new user of Calibre, I tried to delete a book from the library and found that it will be delete from disk directly.

Is it possible to add a function to delete the book from library but keep the file in the computer?

Cheers
droople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by droople View Post
Hi

I'm a new user of Calibre, I tried to delete a book from the library and found that it will be delete from disk directly.

Is it possible to add a function to delete the book from library but keep the file in the computer?

Cheers
Whenever a book is removed from Calibre it will be deleted from the Calibre Library folder as well.

When first starting out you should point to a new empty folder for the Caliber library to use exclusively. The books that go into this folder should be placed there by Calibre and should only be accessed by using the Calibre interface.

When you place a book in Calibre a copy is created that goes into the Calibre library folder. Your original is still wherever you had it to begin with (your source folder). When you remove a book from the Calibre Library the book is deleted from the Calibre library folder but not from your original source folder.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-31-2010 at 01:00 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 02:31 AM   #3
droople
Connoisseur
droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hi dwanthny
Thank you for you post.

This means that the books will occupy double spaces....

Last edited by droople; 01-31-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:44 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
For most people space is not much of an ossue for eBooks as they are so small compared to the size of modern disks so keeping 2 copies is not a big issue.

The alternative is to simply do a "Save to Disk" from calibre to save a copy outside Calibre before doing the Delete in Calibre.

This begs the question - if your only copy of a book is currently in Calibre why are you trying to delete it anyway? Once I have a book in Calibre I personally delete any copies that are NOT in Calibre because I am happy for Calibre to act as the manager for my books (I do back up the Calibre folders for security).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by droople View Post
Hi dwanthny
Thank you for you post.

This means that the books will occupy double spaces....
Just backup your source files to CDs or DVDs and then you have the best of both worlds. Safe original files that don't take up any space on your hard drive.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 03:43 AM   #6
droople
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
For most people space is not much of an ossue for eBooks as they are so small compared to the size of modern disks so keeping 2 copies is not a big issue.

The alternative is to simply do a "Save to Disk" from calibre to save a copy outside Calibre before doing the Delete in Calibre.

This begs the question - if your only copy of a book is currently in Calibre why are you trying to delete it anyway? Once I have a book in Calibre I personally delete any copies that are NOT in Calibre because I am happy for Calibre to act as the manager for my books (I do back up the Calibre folders for security).
most music library software have that function.... so