Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Who's Considering Returning Their Kindle?

So thanks to this I'm seriously considering returning my Kindle.

My investment so far has been minimal - I haven't bought a case or a skin and I've only purchased 1 book as the rest of what I have been reading so far have been free from either Amazon, BooksOnBoard or from the authors themselves.

I could understand Amazon being concerned if the scripts in question were being used to illegally distribute or obtain books. However as we all know those scripts are being used to place content that was legally purchased on the device.

If Amazon is so stupid that they want restrict my ability to put legally purchased content on the Kindle they can have their device back - I don't want it.
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'm having some problems with mine and was going to get a replacement. Now I'm looking at getting a new 505, a Cybook or a BeBook. Still haven't decided for sure.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiationman View Post
I could understand Amazon being concerned if the scripts in question were being used to illegally distribute or obtain books. However as we all know those scripts are being used to place content that was legally purchased on the device.

If Amazon is so stupid that they want restrict my ability to put legally purchased content on the Kindle they can have their device back - I don't want it.
Yes, Amazon is acting very Apple-like, and I don't mean that as a compliment.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
I could understand Amazon being concerned if the scripts in question were being used to illegally distribute or obtain books.
Again, I think that this was the motivating factor.

Keep in mind that their tight control over distribution has probably helped win over publishers/authors (and why so much more content is available for the Kindle than other formats). The scripts have been here for a very long time and Amazon didn't see fit to take action until now.

Quote:
...and this was more a consequence of their effort to stem illegal distribution.

I think Amazon's response was short-sighted but it probably didn't help that when Amazon made Kindle books available via iTunes that some made it quite obvious that they had also opened it up for unintended distribution once the PID was cracked. We waved the red flag and the bull charged ahead blindly.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41015

That being said, if I couldn't read library books via the Kindle, I might reconsider my decision to go with the Kindle. If they don't open the Kindle to other drm formats (like Adboe encrypted pdf), I will be looking at other readers for my next purchase.

Last edited by Boston; 03-13-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
radiationman
Connoisseur

The trouble is those scripts don't circumvent copy protection and you're not illegally distributing books even if you use the script on a file...

The copy protection on the mobi files restrict them to being read ONLY on the device with the valid mobipocket pid that's in the encryption for that file. The scripts provide Kindle users with valid mobipocket pids - that's it.

My wife has a PRS-505. If she buys a mobipocket book for her 505 I can't read it on my Kindle scripts or not because it's not encrypted for the PID on my device - the scripts in question don't change that...

These scripts DON'T break the DRM on Amazon's files and in reality don't break the mobipocket DRM either... What they are doing is allowing the Kindle (and possibly the iPhone via the Amazon app) to work within the framework of the mobipocket DRM.
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The trouble is those scripts don't circumvent copy protection and you're not illegally distributing books even if you use the script on a file...

The copy protection on the mobi files restrict them to being read ONLY on the device with the valid mobipocket pid that's in the encryption for that file. The scripts provide Kindle users with valid mobipocket pids - that's it.
Correct.

Of course, it was evident long ago that Amazon didn't want the Kindle PIDs out there, by removing Kindle support from Mobipocket Desktop versions beyond 6.0. Their software, their choice. But this recent action is over the top IMHO.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
The DMCA notice involved KindlePID, not Kindlefix. Many posts made it clear that with the iTunes store, you could now buy Amazon books and remove the DRM once you got the PID.

In fact, if you read the DMCA letter it is focused on the use of the script to remove DRM from their books...not its use to put content on the Kindle.

The fact that Kindlefix (which you are referring to) can't run without the PID is a consequence but possibly not the target.

I am not happy with Amazon's move because I like to borrow library books; however, I'm just not convinced they meant to target Kindle owners.

Last edited by Boston; 03-13-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
I love my kindle. I dont get the complaints people are having with it. I might be missing something, but this whole PID experience doesnt seem to have had any affect with my use. Granted, I aint the most comp savy or ereader savy person out there, so I dont know. I just dont get what the big deal is.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
I just dont get what the big deal is.
For some it's how Amazon went about the whole thing.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #10
radiationman
Connoisseur

Quote:
I love my kindle. I dont get the complaints people are having with it. I might be missing something, but this whole PID experience doesnt seem to have had any affect with my use. Granted, I aint the most comp savy or ereader savy person out there, so I dont know. I just dont get what the big deal is.
It's simple. Amazon is trying to kill two birds with one stone. They're using the excuse of copy protection to make it impossible for you to purchase content from anybody other than Amazon and read it on your Kindle.

Now if you only purchase books from Amazon and only ever plan to purchase books from Amazon then this is in fact a non-issue. BUT if your library offers e-books or you want to legally purchase books from Books-On-Board or a few of the other websites that sell books formatted and protected in the mobi format Amazon is going to stop that and using the cover of copy protection violations as cover...
Old 03-13-2009, 11:57 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
I love my kindle. I dont get the complaints people are having with it. I might be missing something, but this whole PID experience doesnt seem to have had any affect with my use.
Mine either. But it is about principles.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:45 AM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'm considering ordering a Kindle II just so I can return it

Last edited by Ervserver; 03-14-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:00 AM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
My wife has a PRS-505. If she buys a mobipocket book for her 505 I can't read it on my Kindle scripts or not because it's not encrypted for the PID on my device - the scripts in question don't change that...
If Mrs Radiationman is buying a mobipocket book for her 505 then she won't be able to read it. None of the Sony Readers work with mobi.
Perhaps she actually has a Cybook?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:08 AM   #14
radiationman
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
If Mrs Radiationman is buying a mobipocket book for her 505 then she won't be able to read it. None of the Sony Readers work with mobi.
Perhaps she actually has a Cybook?
I was using it as an example - not necessarily a good example but an example... The point though was that if I buy a book for my device and she's has her own device neither of those scripts allows me to share my books with her for use on her device...
Old 03-14-2009, 05:16 AM   #15
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
No offense but to the people complaining didn't you purchase it knowing you would be buying books from Amazon. Isn't that the point? If you didn't want to be locked into buying from Amazon you should have chosen something other than the Kindle in the first place. I've been considering both Sony's reader and the Kindle but decided on the latter because I would rather shop at Amazon. It seems kind of pointless to complain considering you had the same choice.

Last edited by jeremy81; 03-14-2009 at 05:18 AM.
jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote