Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Which was better World War Z: the movie or the book?
Movie! 2 15.38%
Book! 11 84.62%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
coolhardware
coolhardware began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Talking Anybody else reading this? World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

So last night I started reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. It is not bad at all. However, somewhat surprisingly, so far I like the movie better than the book (Amazon)

Anyone else reading the book or watched the movie?

Thanks in advance for responses :
coolhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Reading Recommendations forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I am planning on it, but it will be a while - I am number 190 in line for it at my library. At least there are 16 copies to go around.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
coolhardware
coolhardware began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Cool, I hope the line goes quickly!

Please stop back by and share your thoughts once you get a chance to read it
coolhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhardware View Post
So last night I started reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. It is not bad at all. However, somewhat surprisingly, so far I like the movie better than the book (Amazon)

Anyone else reading the book or watched the movie?

Thanks in advance for responses :
I think most people (who are into that sort of thing) have already read the book and thank god because if we had done it the other way around we might have had our enjoyment of the book ruined by the movie which has almost no connection to the book like the OP has.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
Wayoutwilly
Enthusiast
Wayoutwilly doesn't litterWayoutwilly doesn't litter

Device: Bookeen Gen3
As I see it, the only connection between movie and the book are zombies. And even those aren't the "right" kind - book zombies are slow, movie zombies are probably the fastest one around.
Wayoutwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
You need a "What is World War Z?" voting choice for those of us who like polls but who aren't interested in zombies.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:52 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Question: how can a book be an "oral history"? Surely an oral history - by definition - has to be spoken, not written, doesn't it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #9
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Didn't like the book very much personally.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #10
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
I listened to it as an audio-book and really enjoyed it. The movie and the book are completely different, as someone else has said here, even the zombies are different.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #11
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Question: how can a book be an "oral history"? Surely an oral history - by definition - has to be spoken, not written, doesn't it?
It was meant to be an audiobook!

...I believe the book is having the story built up by interviews of people that experience WWZ.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
...I believe the book is having the story built up by interviews of people that experience WWZ.
Yes, the book "records" interviews of people about 10 years after the outbreak.

I read the book shortly after it came out and enjoyed it. Canuck_in_Japan is right; the movie is very loosely based on the book. They have very little in common. That is why the cover of the movie tie-in edition of the book does not show the star, as is usual. The character played by Brad Pitt is not even in the book.

I have not seen the movie. Not sure that I will, although it has gotten some pretty decent reviews.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
By the way the audio book is awesome. It's really well done by a lot of different voice actors. Fantastic stuff. If you can get it at your library then I highly recommend it.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I've read the book but I've not seen the movie, the book was not what I expected but I still enjoyed it.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
The book was fantastic. The audiobook was just as good, as the voice acting as already pointed out was really good.

The movie was dire.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, movies, world war z