Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
filthyPierre
filthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch fw 2.1.5, Asus Transformer Prime TF201 JB
Windows 8 message when plugging Kobo Touch in

Hi,

Recently upgraded to Windows 8. Finally got around to reloading Calibre, Sigil and the Kobo Desktop. When I plug my Touch in (f/w 2.1.5) Windows 8 generates a message:

KoboReader (G: ) There's a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it.

The Touch has an 8GB SanDisk card in it as well as the standard storage.

I can use tools like Explorer to browse both drives without any problems, and Calibre can talk to the device without any problems, both loading and removing books with no issues.

So, I'm not really too concerned, but just interested if anyone else has seen this.

Apologies if this is already the topic of another post - I did search but couldn't find anything.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete
filthyPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That means the file system on the device is dirty and should be checked. It generally means you didn't eject the device before unplugging it. You should run a check disk to fix any errors an mark the drive as clean. There is a good chance nothing is wrong and all that will happen is the drive will be marked as clean.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
filthyPierre
filthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipsefilthyPierre can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch fw 2.1.5, Asus Transformer Prime TF201 JB
Hmmm, usually I am pretty careful about ejecting the drives/device before unplugging but I guess I could have done it without ejecting first. And it was fine before the Win 8 upgrade. I am always a little wary about running chkdsk as it can be a little dangerous, I don't want to wipe the device just because chkdsk thinks that is the best way to fix the problems.

Cheers,

Pete
filthyPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyPierre View Post
KoboReader (G: ) There's a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it.
I saw it a lot with my Kindle under Windows Vista.

I don't get it with Windows 8. Perhaps Windows 8 has a couple lines of code saying not to generate the message for the Kindle Keyboard, but no such for Kobo.

Quote:
I am always a little wary about running chkdsk as it can be a little dangerous, I don't want to wipe the device just because chkdsk thinks that is the best way to fix the problems.
There is no problem to be fixed. Ignore the message.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-20-2012 at 08:33 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Hmmm, usually I am pretty careful about ejecting the drives/device before unplugging but I guess I could have done it without ejecting first. And it was fine before the Win 8 upgrade. I am always a little wary about running chkdsk as it can be a little dangerous, I don't want to wipe the device just because chkdsk thinks that is the best way to fix the problems.
So am I. But, when I wrote my post yesterday, I had one of my readers plugged in. And I actually had the Kobo app running plus something else open looking at something on the driver. I clicked the eject button in the Kobo app and when a message was displayed I unplugged the device. Then I read the message which was a "couldn't eject" message. When I plugged the device in, Windows gave the same message you are seeing. I let it fix things and everything is OK.

@SteveEisenberg: Most times you are right. But, the drive can have problems and a file on it could be corrupted. If a file is corrupted, strange things can happen. Getting Windows to check the drive is the best thing to do.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert