Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Update Paperwhite to 5.3.0 WITHOUT locking yourself out!

UPDATE: This post is mostly obsolete now. While you can still use this method, it's easier to simply install the newest jailbreak, and to use the official update. NiLuJe has developed a new version of the jailbreak, which (if installed *prior* to the official 5.3.0 update) will make sure that the device "survives" the update without being locked down. Many thanks, NiLuJe!

So, you may have realized that with their 5.3.0 Firmware, Amazon has officially declared war on the developer scene, by plugging all currently known holes which allow to install the jailbreak, and by also wiping the jailbreak and all other user-installed modifications.

Just to repeat this again, and to make it clear: if you manually install the official 5.3.0 update, or if you wait until it automatically gets pushed to your device, you WILL be locked out of your own device!*

In order to prevent this, you can proactively update to a 5.3.0 version which keeps the jailbreak intact, and which provides some extra debrick safety.

Essentially, what I did is take the official update's image, and added the jailbreak and a debrick script to it.

How to use this, step by step:
  1. Fully recharge the battery before you begin this process!
  2. Make sure to put your device into Airplane mode, i.e., turn off Wifi. (This is so that your Kindle doesn't accidentally install the official 5.3.0 update without you being aware of it)
  3. Make sure that you are currently running Firmware version 5.2.0
  4. Install the jailbreak, if you haven't done so before
  5. Install the "rescue pack", if you haven't done so before. And yes, do read and understand the README file. That's why these files are called README after all
  6. Download and extract the modified 5.3.0 update files, and copy the contained uImage and rootfs.img.gz directly to the USB root of the Kindle (i.e., to /mnt/us/).
  7. reboot into diags, by placing the ENABLE_DIAGS file on your Kindle; once in diags, enable usbnetwork and log in. (Errmm... if you don't know how to do that: you did read the README files, didn't you?)
  8. Install the 5.3.0 main kernel: dd if=/mnt/us/uImage of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=65
  9. Install the patched 5.3.0 partition: zcat /mnt/us/rootfs.img.gz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4096
  10. Reboot into main: idme -d --bootmode main; reboot

Double- and triple-check that you're correctly entering the above "dd" commands. If you screw that up, you could permanently brick your device.

Good luck!

Notes:
- The linked zip file contains exactly the same kernel, and almost exactly the same root fs, as the official update provides. The only changes are the addition of 3 files to the root fs: the jailbreak (i.e., the developer key), and an upstart script+configuration which will reboot into diags mode when an ENABLE_DIAGS file is found - in fact, these are exactly the files from the abovementioned "rescue pack").

- The procedure is manual and somewhat tedious, I know. But now that we have an example of a "real" "full-restore" image, maybe someone will get around to packaging the entire thing into a convenient update_*.bin (?)

- This is tested and working. My device is now on 5.3.0, and I installed usbnetwork without any problems. Now it's time to go looking for exploits in 5.3.0

PS: (*) Yes, of course, we're looking into it, and will try to find a new jailbreak that works on "vanilla" 5.3.0 devices. Until then, if you want to keep control of your device, it's probably best to proactively upgrade with this package.

Last edited by ixtab; 11-22-2012 at 10:39 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

------

Last edited by ixtab; 11-08-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I was planning on going the less painful road tomorrow, following eureka's suggestion, but this works, too .

I'll probably need a guinea pig, though, so, if anyone feels a bit overwhelmed, wait for tomorrow .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Can I take it for those of us who went ahead and downloaded (and installed) the 5.3 firmware from Amazon that we are toast until such time as you have a vanilla 5.3 solution?

Sigh. I already miss Collections Manager.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Can I take it for those of us who went ahead and downloaded (and installed) the 5.3 firmware from Amazon that we are toast until such time as you have a vanilla 5.3 solution?

Great summary.

In USA slang, your: SOL
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I was planning on going the less painful road tomorrow, following eureka's suggestion, but this works, too .

I'll probably need a guinea pig, though, so, if anyone feels a bit overwhelmed, wait for tomorrow .
Hmmm... you're the official expert about kindletool and update images

Wouldn't it be relatively trivial to repackage the "official" bin into an "unofficial" one, by simply replacing the rootfs image?

I sort of lost track about all the different "update modes" which seem to be present in the update.bin files, but if kindletool can unpack such "full restore images", couldn't it also pack them?

(Of course, that would require the jailbreak to be installed initially, for the update's signer key to be accepted during the update. But other than that, it'd essentially be the same)

Or am I getting something wrong?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Errm... yes, unfortunately that seems to be the case.

Blame Amazon for their unneededly aggressive strategy against developers, not us (I tried to provide an alternative solution as fast as I could).

Quote:
Thanks

We'll do what we can, but finding exploitable security holes isn't exactly trivial.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Great summary.

In USA slang, your: SOL
Just for curiosity: please explain
Old 11-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Just for curiosity: please explain
This is a "family site" and I will probably get my hands slapped...
American Word Power: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=S.O.L.

OR:
http://www.sollingerie.com/

OR:
Folks in Texas, USA are sometimes referred to as: "Plain Speaking" -
Here is a used car dealership that tells it like it is:
http://www.sol-auto.com/
Who's business name may or may not refer to the first definition in the first link above.

Last edited by knc1; 11-08-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
This is a "family site" and I will probably get my hands slapped...
American Word Power: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=S.O.L.
SOL = shit outta luck

... yeah, pretty fitting, because that's exactly what it is.

Thanks for the explanation, learning something new every day
Old 11-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ixtab: While I just finished fixing KindleTool to build (hopefully) correct recovery v2 update packages, we'd unfortunately need a patched kernel (more specifically, a patched initramfs) to be able to make them run (the update is entirely run & validated by the recovery tool in the initramfs).

And my brain is already broken after looking at IDA Pro to try to get some of the stuff right for KindleTool >_<".

That said, Yifan (and others since) did it for previous models (and Yifan wrote a bunch of things about how to replicate it), so it's not completely crazy, and if you happen to actually know a bit of ARM assembly (which I don't ^^), that probably helps .

On the other hand, If what I'm thinking of doing (following eureka's nudge) actually works, it'll be vastly simpler & faster . [I'll look into it tomorrow].

EDIT: Done, see #36.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-09-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ixtab: While I just finished fixing KindleTool to build (hopefully) correct recovery v2 update packages, we'd unfortunately need a patched kernel (more specifically, a patched initramfs) to be able to make them run (the update is entirely run & validated by the recovery tool in the initramfs).
Sounds like an ideal reason to learn how get these things to network boot an alternate kernel (of our own devising).

The code is in the u-boot for the DX 2.5.8 firmware version, I have not checked if it was ever dropped.

And while on the subject, didn't Yifan create a network booted kernel with a custom initramfs?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Errm... yes, unfortunately that seems to be the case.

Blame Amazon for their unneededly aggressive strategy against developers, not us (I tried to provide an alternative solution as fast as I could).

Thanks

We'll do what we can, but finding exploitable security holes isn't exactly trivial.
Nope. Not trivial, but very much appreciated!

The good news is, I got most of my current stuff over onto the Kindle and into collections before this update screwed up Collections Manager. So I can be fairly patient for a while. I need to read more and buy less right now, anyway!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
Beekr25
Beekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toysBeekr25 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paper White
NE Failed to set USB 0

So I attempted to update my kindle PW with the above directions. Everything went smooth until I entered the last command (Reboot into main: idme -d --bootmode main; reboot). A message appeared on the bottom of the device "N E failed to set usb0 ip, this is bad" over the advert on the bottom of the kindle. It won't power off, the screen isn't responding but it does connect via USBNET but not SSH if that make sense. I can see it in my Mac Network settings but can't ssh to it in terminal. Advice or have I just ruined my PW? Arggg

Ben
Beekr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Not that I know of. (Speaking of, there are some vague NFS mentions in there too, but then I have no idea how to drop to the recovery shell without serial access).

@Beekr25: Don't boot with the Kindle plugged in (it's explained in more details in the USBNet doc). I'm pretty sure it shouldn't hang the boot process more than 15s, though. (But then again, since it doesn't work, I didn't spend an extraordinary amount of time looking into it on a wide range of devices. When the kernel throws a huge fit telling me the device is busy while trying to reload the USB controller, I obey and unplug it ^^).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-08-2012 at 06:33 PM.