Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
Paperwhite Shipping Update?

Someone on Kindleboards reported that their shipping estimate for their PW 3G has been changed to "September 14-October 3rd". Anyone else get this update on their order?

I placed my PW 3G order on 9/6 @ 1:14PM EST but mine still says Est. 10/2. Fingers crossed that Amazon might ship a head of schedule though.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
Someone on Kindleboards reported that their shipping estimate for their PW 3G has been changed to "September 14-October 3rd". Anyone else get this update on their order?

I placed my PW 3G order on 9/6 @ 1:14PM EST but mine still says Est. 10/2. Fingers crossed that Amazon might ship a head of schedule though.
Amazon has often delivered new devices on launch day (October 1st, in this case) so I wouldn't be surprised to see them ship a bit early. I'd love to get mine on Friday September 28th.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Mine still shows October 2. I do seem to recall that a similar shifting of estimated delivery dates happened last time as well. Periodically the delivery dates fluctuated a bit for some people but then returned to what they were to begin with.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle
My order says October 3rd. I didn't place my order until a few days after the announcement, so there's probably quite a queue in front of me.
goggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I don't get it. I placed my order a few hours after it went on sale - for a 3g no-ads - and my delivery estimate was October 11. Now, it's showing October 13.
WTH?

Edit: I should say, the delivery estimate is with 2-day shipping. There is no shipping date (where do you guys get that?) on my order page.

Also, the estimated delivery date for the cover - the Amazon one, blue - is Oct 31.

Great...

Last edited by vxf; 09-14-2012 at 02:38 PM.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
LuvDrafts
LuvDrafts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Ordered today and my delivery date says Oct 23rd and I am paying for overnight delivery!
LuvDrafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I ordered on the 6th [WiFi, no ads, supersaver shipping] and mine says:

Delivery Estimate: Friday October 12, 2012 - Monday October 15, 2012

:-(
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Mine still shows October 2nd. I would love if they started sending them sooner.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
the SOs are being dispatched before the non-SOs.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
the SOs are being dispatched before the non-SOs.
Source? Speculation? If so, that really stinks. We paid more.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I think we can safely use ourselves as the source. I ordered the wi-fi w/o special offers about an hour after they put it up for sale, and my expected delivery date was (and still is) 10/10. The unit with special offers was at that time still expected to arrive on/around release day.

Had I realized that earlier, I would have ordered the one with special offers and just paid them the extra $20 later. Oh, well.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
1. Hypothesis from me.
2. Analysis comparing all DDD (Due Delivery Date) given by members on different threads from me.
3. Conclusion after thorough examination of all exhibits from me.

Make my day...Prove me wrong

Last edited by aceflor; 09-14-2012 at 05:33 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Probably true. I ordered the SO a day after they were announced and got Oct 2nd. I have Prime, and it might be that they are also favoring Prime members though I have no clue whether that is the case.

As to why the SO models first. I speculate it is because all KPW models are setup at the factory as the SO model, that is the software tells it to receive SOs. I said speculate because that is just an assumption. But if they are factory set to SO, then it requires Amazon to flip the software switch off for SO. Perhaps that extra step, if it is as speculated, causes the non-SO delay. Just a big fat guess on my part!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Probably true. I ordered the SO a day after they were announced and got Oct 2nd. I have Prime, and it might be that they are also favoring Prime members though I have no clue whether that is the case.

As to why the SO models first. I speculate it is because all KPW models are setup at the factory as the SO model, that is the software tells it to receive SOs. I said speculate because that is just an assumption. But if they are factory set to SO, then it requires Amazon to flip the software switch off for SO. Perhaps that extra step, if it is as speculated, causes the non-SO delay. Just a big fat guess on my part!
They flip the switch in your account, tied to your serial number. For the existing eink kindles (when ordered as a "gift" so they are not registered), they ship as non-SO, and start displaying ads shortly after you register them.

You can also test that with a FULL "factory reset" (back to new-in-box condition), by erasing the persistent user store (not USB drive) partition, where all your settings are stored.

The shipping of non-SO models first is (probably) just a non-technical policy decision. Perhaps to start generating SO ad revenue early in the shipping schedule?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
They flip the switch in your account, tied to your serial number. For the existing eink kindles (when ordered as a "gift" so they are not registered), they ship as non-SO, and start displaying ads shortly after you register them.

You can also test that with a FULL "factory reset" (back to new-in-box condition), by erasing the persistent user store (not USB drive) partition, where all your settings are stored.

The shipping of non-SO models first is (probably) just a non-technical policy decision. Perhaps to start generating SO ad revenue early in the shipping schedule?
In that case there must be another reason why the SOs ship first. Maybe Amazon has some kind of agreement with the advertisers.