Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
Exclamation PocketBook 9.7" (902, 903, 912) with pearl

Hi, I like very much PocketBook 9.7" models but I won't buy one till they have pearl display . That's why I would like to know more when will be that moment and why is delayed so much . If any of you have an answer or an reasoned assumption related to this subject I'll be very happy to read it (and I'm sure I'm not alone ).
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

... I mean give me any rumor about pearl for 9.7" display, anything ...
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't think that anyone who follows this forum can tell you anything real. From what I've seen in the past, even the sales reps around the world are kept in the dark. You might have better luck in the Russian forum. At least a PocketBook employee (Kluchnik (sp?)) hangs out there.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
My guess (only a guess) - it might have happen by the end of the next year...
or, if I were you - I'd buy one now, not waiting for GIK (Guys in Kiev) to put the pearl to PB Pro...
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:21 AM   #5
adrhc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
or, if I were you - I'd buy one now, not waiting for GIK (Guys in Kiev) to put the pearl to PB Pro...
Thanks for the your guess (it's better than nothing). Can you also guess why are they so attached to this visiplex display ?

PS: my eyesight is very poor so I can't use the actual PB for reading; for me this is the only purpose for buying it despite of a very, very long waiting time
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
qariwa55
Enthusiast
qariwa55 began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
My guess (only a guess) - it might have happen by the end of the next year...
Do you (or anyone) know if there is any 9" or so e-book reader with pearl display? And for that matter, how many pearl display e-book readers are there of any size?
qariwa55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Kindle DXG and Onyx M91 have Pearl Display
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
pbmaniac
Enthusiast
pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PB Pro 903, F/W 2.1.3=>downgraded to 2.1.2-fastdrv because of WIFI-bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by qariwa55 View Post
Do you (or anyone) know if there is any 9" or so e-book reader with pearl display? And for that matter, how many pearl display e-book readers are there of any size?
The new Kindle DX has a 9" Pearl display. Amazon has bought up eInk inc. some time ago, so they have direct access to the new Pearl and Triton (color eInk) diplays.
(So my guess is, that they might come up with a Kindle featuring color eInk panel next year)
I'm not sure if Amazon restricts supplies of Pearl panels to other e-reader producers in any way. Another reason of PocketPock using the old Vizplex panels might be that they are cheaper than Pearl panels or that they still have a huge stock of the old panels and want to get rid of these before they loose their value completely. But that's all just a bit of bold speculation.

Furthermore there is also one 7" reader from Sony (PRS-950SC - Daily Edition) which has a large pearl screen.

If you are seeking a smaller reader using Pearl technology, there are Kindle3 as well as the whole Sony PRS series.

Even a 9" color eInk panel reader from Hanvon is somewhere out there. I wonder where you can purchase it from... :-D

Last edited by pbmaniac; 09-23-2011 at 02:30 PM.
pbmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
qariwa55
Enthusiast
qariwa55 began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62D
Nothing like answering my own question, but I just noticed that there is a pearl display 9.7" reader from Hanlin:

http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...tail.asp?id=47
qariwa55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
adrhc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaniac View Post
Amazon has bought up eInk inc. some time ago, so they have direct access to the new Pearl and Triton (color eInk) diplays.
(So my guess is, that they might come up with a Kindle featuring color eInk panel next year)
I'm not sure if Amazon restricts supplies of Pearl panels to other e-reader producers in any way. Another reason of PocketPock using the old Vizplex panels might be that they are cheaper than Pearl panels or that they still have a huge stock of the old panels and want to get rid of these before they loose their value completely. But that's all just a bit of bold speculation.
So I understand there are 2 kind of possibilities:
a) Amazon blocks PB buying pearl display
b) PB has a lot of vizplex panels already bought and needs to get rid of them first

For me b) it seems theoretical possible but too stupid.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
dstb
dstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Pro 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by qariwa55 View Post
Nothing like answering my own question, but I just noticed that there is a pearl display 9.7" reader from Hanlin:
But we can really buy it? Wherefrom? I found it on the web in the Czech store but it's strange this is the only place to buy it...
dstb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
pbmaniac
Enthusiast
pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PB Pro 903, F/W 2.1.3=>downgraded to 2.1.2-fastdrv because of WIFI-bug
In my personal opinion, Pearl technology is a bit overrated and overhyped these days. The improvements over the Vizplex panels are not that overwhelming. I recently had the chance to check out a Kindle 3 in the real life and compare it to my Pocketbook 903 and was pretty astonished how small the difference in viewing quality was. Yes it is true that on Pearl panels the text is a bit darker and slightly sharper and it is said in the whitepapers that the Pearl panels consume less energy. Of course, Pearl can also do faster page-turns.
Still, Vizplex is used on the majority of devices in production right now.

Last edited by pbmaniac; 09-25-2011 at 11:42 AM.
pbmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
I have both a PB903 and a Onyx M90. As screens concern, Onyx M90 Pearl screen is in my opinion "enough better" then PB 903 Vizplex screen. As someone have just said, reading on a Vizplex is like reading on a newspaper, while reading on a Pearl is like reading on a book's high quality paper.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:03 AM   #14
adrhc
Connoisseur

Angry

@pbmaniac, @Shinra tensei
May be when talking about else than technical pdf the difference between vizplex and pearl is not so obvious. But for some technical pdf like programming guides the difference is just huge. Go to the bottom of the first page on this thread PocketBook vs. Kindle - Legibility contest and convince your self (is page 45 from pdf attached here).
Old 09-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaniac View Post
The new Kindle DX has a 9" Pearl display. Amazon has bought up eInk inc. some time ago, so they have direct access to the new Pearl and Triton (color eInk) diplays.
I'm not sure if Amazon restricts supplies of Pearl panels to other e-reader producers in any way.
Its simply not true that Amazon has "bought up" Eink.

For years Eink had an exclusive arrangement with PrimeView International(an LCD panel maker) to produce Eink displays from Eink film. LG also has a license to produce EInk displays.

PrimeView and Eink merged in 2009 to become Eink Holdings.

Amazon had an exclusive on Pearl panels when production began because they contracted to purchase the entire production for a certain amount of time.

That exclusivity ended 6 months or so ago. Eink Holdings has also about doubled their production capacity since then.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote