Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Ppprrtt
Ppprrtt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Returning my Kobo

I think I recall the Chapters salesperson saying they would only do exchanges and no returns (refunds).

This worries me a bit since I've have to exchange it twice already (battery life issues) and I've somewhat lost confidence in the product.

The fact this was a Canadian product was a big factor in choosing a Kobo as an ereader, but now I just want my money back. Maybe I'll try my luck with their next iteration.

Has anyone been successful in getting a refund? Any tips? I've purchased it very recently.
Ppprrtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I'm surprised that you had two of the Kobos with battery life issues. From what I have read, the Kobo WiFi and updated Kobo-1 readers are generally getting very good battery life--especially when they have been allowed to go to 40% or so a few times and then fully charged. Leaving the WiFi on and battery intensive things like updares use up the juice far more often than just changing pages, for sure.

I know that my husband was initially sure that he had a bad battery, but after a few rechargings it seemed "healed".
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Ppprrtt

Yeah, I guess I'm just unlucky.

But I really just want my money back... any clue if that's possible? The Chapters employee who made the sale made it pretty clear that there were no refunds.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I think they only give refunds if it hasn't been used. My boss bought one over christmas and returned it because Walmart had a better deal, they took it back with no problems but I'm pretty sure it wasn't open.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Ppprrtt

That's too bad, I guess I'll try my luck in store tomorrow.

Any idea what could work best? I think having gone through three within a week would be sufficient...
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
When I brought my original kobo, and 2 weeks after experiencing battery issues (wouldn't hold a charge past two days, even with no reading), I had the choice of an exchange or a refund at my chapters store. I took the refund, and while they were going to give cash, I asked for a gift card instead as I had decided to wait for the wifi version to be released. As long as you go in with a calm demeaner and aren't ranting and raving, they're usually pretty reasonable.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Ppprrtt

That's encouraging, thank you Psyke.

Will update this thread with what happens (may help someone in the future).
Old 01-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #8
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
Normally our return policy is 30 days for electronic devices if it's unopened... if your kobo is open and with battery issues we can exchange it for a new kobo and send yours in as defective.

However if you would rather have a refund you'll have to speak to a manager and convince him to refund the Kobo due to battery issues but as Psyke pointed out a calm customer will result in a more understanding manager, as most have heard it all before and would rather not be yelled at by an angry customer.

The battery life issue is due mostly to fresh batteries on the Kobo that have not gotten used to being charged yet and will require a few charges (similar to cellphones) before they actually start to hold their charge.
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Ppprrtt

Thank you MikeLC,

I hope everything goes smoothly when I pop into my local Chapters/Indigo tomorrow.

By the way, it's commendable that you're involved in end users' input in forums such as these. I'm glad to see you guys are on the forefront of customer service.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:11 AM   #10
omaiss5
omaiss5 began at the beginning.

HI
I live in New Zealand and bought a Kobo 3 months ago and already the screen has gone.
Customer support is by email only, they want me to pay 70 dollars Canadian to mail the faulty product.
No support from the retailer either!
It is a total ripoff, so do not buy this product if you live in New Zealand.
omaiss5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I have noticed on this forum quite a number of posts about broken screens (even some where people have left it on the desk/nightstand and next day a cracked screen).

More interested in other peoples' opinions than anything else, but does anyone have any idea why there seems to be a reasonable number of posts about broken screens?

- Are the Kobo readers, especially due to the funky soft back more prone to twisting and cracking?
- Due to the drop in the price of ereaders are more non-tech people buying Kobo's and not realising the durability of new technology?
- Are the Kobo's poorly manufactured?
- Because they are not sold with a protective cover, or lack of advertising the availability of such an accessory (correct me if I am wrong but there isn't an official Kobo cover is there?)

I'm not being negative to the Kobo, just other ereader brands people usually say "oh I dropped it and broke the screen" etc, very rarely do they break without someone knowing why. As I said, I'm interested (love a Kobo wifi at some point still though).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #12
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I made a cover out of very cheap spongy material (a bit like wet-suit material) and it has done a wonderful job of protecting the screen from scratches. I take the Kobo everywhere and life in my bag is tough!
My experience, from carting around very expensive musical instruments, is that it needs to be padded and unable to move to be safe. I have actually seen someone reverse their car over a very expensive violin. It was in a proper flight case and, apart from a few scratches on the case, the violin was fine (the owner was in deep shock!). Try to avoid twisting or putting pressure on the middle of the screen as glass just won't take this kind of tension.

Could there also be a problem with temperature drops? It seems a bit strange that some breakages occur overnight when the Kobo is just sitting there.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
- Are the Kobo readers, especially due to the funky soft back more prone to twisting and cracking?.
The back is "quilted" but not soft. If you handle one in a store, you will see what I mean. I can't really speak to the other items other than to sat that it would not be unheard of for there to be a bad batch of one kind of techie toys or another out there. I noticed a few screen complaints here in the past week or two, but I've not seen much in terms of this complaint in the six months or so before this. I am not sure if the new complaints are a trend, or not.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
- Are the Kobo readers, especially due to the funky soft back more prone to twisting and cracking?
It has a soft rubbery coating on the hard plastic shell.. It's not actually a cloth quilt

Quote:
- Due to the drop in the price of ereaders are more non-tech people buying Kobo's and not realising the durability of new technology?
This could very well be the case; many people are used to the durability of things like ipods and other media players, or they might figure it could be as durable as a regular book *shrug* all I know is that I won't let my daughter bring hers to school because I've seen her other school books

Quote:
- Are the Kobo's poorly manufactured?
Always possible to have a bad batch as a number of the posts I have been seeing, at least those who have posted screenshots, have been from a wiring defect.

Quote:
- Because they are not sold with a protective cover, or lack of advertising the availability of such an accessory (correct me if I am wrong but there isn't an official Kobo cover is there?)
There is the roots cover that was sold at launch, but all it really does is protect the screen from scratches, not the device from bending. They have recently started to sell book style covers that help reinforce the device. However, said book covers have been available for a while for the kindle 3 and with a little research by consumer can come up with some pretty good deals compared to what Kobo offers.

Quote:
I'm not being negative to the Kobo, just other ereader brands people usually say "oh I dropped it and broke the screen" etc, very rarely do they break without someone knowing why. As I said, I'm interested (love a Kobo wifi at some point still though).

This issue definitely isn't isolated to the kobo; I just did a quick scan of other forums, including the kindles, and came accross plenty of broken screens, a number of them saying " sundenly found a crack in the screen" or something of the like (although the sony seems to be rather durable, probably due to a metal frame). Most poeople don't want to admit they broke it; I mean, accidents happen, but it's embarrasing, not to mention expensive. If it's within warranty, most people will try to pass it off as a defect however looking at some of the screenshots, it's just so obvious. It's just unfortunate they attack the company's reputation rather than admit to the error, however, some companies will bend to the will of a client if it can mean less negative PR.

Last edited by Psyke; 01-16-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
I have a portfolio cover made by dermapad that is very good and protects the screen fine. Do an amazon search for kobo cases and there are no end of options for decent affordable cases.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote