Connoisseur
Kitabi is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Google Launches eBook Store

Announcement:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...on-google.html

Bookstore:

http://books.google.com/ebooks

While this is exciting, I don't think it is palatable to me at the moment. Google is not even giving buyers (are they buyers or borrowers?) possession of the eBook file(s). That's worse than DRM in my book.
Kitabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Actually, the Android and iPhone app sites say explicitely "Offline reading" is a possibility. I'd say they will let us have our books.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Kitabi
Connoisseur

Offline reading (courtesy Google Gears?) is different from having actual control of the book.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Point taken.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
No interest to me at all. I'm not buying books that exist only in the cloud.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I have no interest in books that are solely in the cloud but I believe that google ebooks are downloadable in epub format. In any case I am happy to support the booksellers that have been good to me in the past. Google will have to bring something new for me to want to use their store. I don't see the draw at this time.

-Duncan
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
With the Agency model around you'd really have to ask yourself if Google maybe missed the boat by a year or two.

Right now Google doesn't seem to have the largest stock, and with agency priced eBooks they won't even be able to offer a bargain. All major shops are also offering apps for different reading platforms, even synchronising won't bite.

Conclusion for the moment?
"Google launches eBook store!" "So what?"
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In the case of Agency ebooks everyone has the same price, so the competition is for features and intangibles. The advantages of Google eBooks are: a) can get an Adobe ePub, b) can read in the cloud from a browser or an app, and c) can buy from an independent book store. If you are getting an Adobe ePub anyway, (b) and (c) might steer you to Google. Kobo and Nook kind of have bits of (b), and you can argue about which of the three has the best "read everywhere" experience.

I don't see much competition for Amazon, although I assume you can read a Google ebook from the cloud via the Kindle web browser. So this is a way for a Kindle-only customer (who does not want to mess with DRM) to buy an ebook that isn't available on the Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
you can download the books- or at least most of them. there are some that do not have a download available .

Quote:
We support offline reading in our mobile apps, where you can select books to be downloaded to your app for reading on the go. Please see the specific device articles for further details on how to download and use them:

* Reading on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
* Reading on your Android device

If you using a supported eReader device, you can also read most books available as Google eBooks offline by downloading and transferring a PDF or ePub file to your device. Please see this list of instructions for different supported devices.

At this time, Google eBooks does not support offline reading when using our Web Reader on your computer. Our engineers are working on enabling this and other new features in the near future.
If a dowloadable version is not available then it says so

Quote:
No download files included.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitabi View Post
Announcement:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...on-google.html

Bookstore:

http://books.google.com/ebooks

While this is exciting, I don't think it is palatable to me at the moment. Google is not even giving buyers (are they buyers or borrowers?) possession of the eBook file(s). That's worse than DRM in my book.
Not true. I just checked and you can certainly download the (free) books in epub for "other readers"
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
Kitabi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
you can download the books- or at least most of them. there are some that do not have a download available .

If a dowloadable version is not available then it says so
This sounds better. I was going by the information they published and that appeared to not support downloads.

Did you confirm if the downloaded books are DRM'd and if so which flavor are they using?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Adobe if they are. One I downloaded is drm'd while one downloaded by a person in the other thread was not
Old 12-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
Kitabi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Adobe if they are. One I downloaded is drm'd while one downloaded by a person in the other thread was not
Well, ADEPT or B&N Social was what I was trying to figure out.

BTW, I still cannot figure out how to check if a book is downloadable BEFORE buying. All I see are the Buy Now and Download Sample buttons.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Meh, nothing new there. I could already download e-books from them (lesser known public domain books). Otherwise, newer stuff is all the same price across the board so there's no need for more ebook stores.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Adept.

http://books.google.com/help/ebooks/ereader.html

and it has "No download files included. " between the price and "buy now" if it cannot be downloaded. 2 of Stieg Larsens books are listed this way

http://books.google.com/ebooks?id=Uv...6kM5XaNpr94a4N

while the third is not

http://books.google.com/ebooks?id=AZ...6kM5XaNpr94a4N

Tags
ebook, google, store