Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
dejo
dejo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
'CALIBRATION ERROR DETECTED' message....please help : (

Hi
I recieved my PRS 600 yesterday and couldn't wait to use it. I followed the quick start guide but when I switched on the 600 I got a message saying something along the lines of '' welcome from sony, what you hold in your hands is the future of reading. To experience this now, please tap anywhere on the screen'' after I tap on the screen another message appears '' Using the stylus, tap on the center of the target''. What target? I just tap the screen again then another message appear '' CALIBRATION ERROR DEDECTED. PLEASE RESTART CALIBRATION PROCESS''

Has anyone seen this message before? What does it mean? I can't get past this message. Do you think I have a faulty reader? The reader is showing fully charged. Can anyone help me before I decide to return the reader.

cheers
Dejo
dejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
When first used, the reader needs to calibrate the touchscreen. To this end, little 'X''s will appear in the corner of your screen - you need to tap in the middle of those. My best guess is that since you randomly tapped the screen instead it figured there was something wrong with the device, hence the error.

Start it up again and look for the tell-tale 'X' somewhere on screen - I don't recall where the first one appears, either a corner or the center I think, but it should be fairly obvious.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
dejo
dejo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Hey Fragfrog
You have just made me the happiest man on earth :- ) I did as you said and tapped the X's that appeared in various parts of the screen and it sorted out what I thought was going to be a faulty reader.

I am so happy
cheers
dejo
dejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
thank you, FragFrog!
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Yes I've had this happen to me - recently. After doing a hard reset, one of the first things the reader (in my case the 700) instructed me to do was the screen calibration. A couple times I got the calibration error message, but I eventually got it done.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
Denise Wright
Denise Wright began at the beginning.

Device: Reader
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
When first used, the reader needs to calibrate the touchscreen. To this end, little 'X''s will appear in the corner of your screen - you need to tap in the middle of those. My best guess is that since you randomly tapped the screen instead it figured there was something wrong with the device, hence the error.

Start it up again and look for the tell-tale 'X' somewhere on screen - I don't recall where the first one appears, either a corner or the center I think, but it should be fairly obvious.

Thank you. I just bought a Sony Reader and experienced this same message...calibration error. Your advice was right on. They should print this in the manual.
Denise Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:24 AM   #7
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Wright View Post
Thank you. I just bought a Sony Reader and experienced this same message...calibration error. Your advice was right on. They should print this in the manual.
I guess Sony assumes everyone is allready familiar with touch screens. The process is the same (at least very similar) on different devices, so they think everyone knows

I didn't recognize they didn't put this in the manual as I haven't read it. But I totally agree that they should have put it there.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Aren't the instructions displayed on the screen?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I'm not sure. I've only calibrated the screen once when I bought the device and never have done it again. So I don't remember the procedure anymore.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
amirah226
amirah226 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Thank you so much your a life saver!!!!
amirah226 is offline   Reply With Quote