Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-20-2015, 04:47 AM   #1
kleinjar
Connoisseur
kleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: none
Looking for open-android or rootable e-ink reader

Looking for a 6-inch, front-lit, open-android or rootable e-ink reader.

What in your experience is the best in terms of
  • reliability and
  • frontlight evenness
given the open/rootable requirement?

Basically I just want a good reader that will give me lots of options.
kleinjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
All Kobo readers are modder-friendly. They run linux, not android, but you can install whatever you want on them. Check out the Kobo forums for details.

The frontlights on Kobos are regarded as industry-leading.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinjar View Post
Looking for a 6-inch, front-lit, open-android or rootable e-ink reader.
Tell us where you live.

In Europe there are quite a few options.
In USA you will have to import.

Look at Energy Sistem eReader Pro +, it is a version of Boyue reader with a little bit better firmware
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4DdxlzobtQ

Onyx Boox
https://onyx-boox.com/shop/onyx-boox...le-play-store/
https://onyx-boox.com/shop/onyx-boox...oth-ivona-tts/
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:33 AM   #4
kleinjar
Connoisseur
kleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refreshes

Thanks for the replies. Will look into them. Any others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Tell us where you live.
I live in an obscure country but I don't mind importing my gadgets

Last edited by kleinjar; 07-21-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
For Android:

Get an Onyx or a Boyue. You can / could get the Boyue at a decent price on banggood.

Alternatively get an old Nook ST (the one with the SD-card slot) and root it. You can also install Android on a Kobo Glo or Aura HD, but I hear Android on the latter is a bit flaky (compared to other listed options).

Also Kobo is a pretty open Linux device out-of-the-box, so you could just leave it with Linux, but it won't offer the variety of options Android offers. For example, I have a Aura HD, but I'll probably Androidify it.

Re: Kobo--make sure you get either a Glo or an Aura HD with a Sd-card slot. The later gens can not be Androidified.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:21 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Alternatively get an old Nook ST (the one with the SD-card slot) and root it.
I had NST. I bought it especially for the Android. The version of Android is very old - something like 2.2 and Nook has very little memory left to install programs to. I have installed a few e-book reading apps - such as fbreader, coolreader, a file manager and that was it. No space for anything else.
It also doesn't have the three dedicated HW buttons used on all Android device, so authors of jailbreak installed a little program that keeps a little [semi-transparent] icon on the screen that you can click any time and use the resulting menu as buttons. I found this very annoying in the books I was reading

Quote:
Also Kobo is a pretty open Linux device out-of-the-box, so you could just leave it with Linux, but it won't offer the variety of options Android offers. For example, I have a Aura HD, but I'll probably Androidify it.
There is also PocketBook that *USED* to be extremely open and had some interesting third-party programs available, but their devices peaked two generations ago, when PocketBook 360 was introduced. Last generation has firmware version 5.xy that I personally consider broken, because many features that let us configure the device or set up list of third-party programs to open book files are broken / limited.
Even at the peak of their fame, the system wasn't as open as a lousy modern Android device.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:58 AM   #7
kleinjar
Connoisseur

Thank you thank you for the suggestions. I would consider an NST except I can't live without frontlighting now.

Quote:
Re: Kobo--make sure you get either a Glo or an Aura HD with a Sd-card slot. The later gens can not be Androidified.
Thanks for the warning. I'm looking at the H2O though.. perhaps Cool Reader on the h2o would suffice for my needs.

I guess I'll be choosing from Glo/AuraHD, Onyx or Boyue.