Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Kobo Firmware Release 2.2.0/2.2.1

Kobo has released 2.2.0 (Touch) and 2.2.1 (Glo) for Japan. Not sure which version the Mini gets.

Changes:
1. Benefit from improved title displays
2. Sync your library to a microSD card if your device is full
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After sideloading the release, I checked out my pet bugs.

The annotation selection bug is still happening. This is where moving the right cursor causes the left cursor to move sometimes. And vice versa.

The Show Bookmark on Page bug is still happening. This is where you bookmark a page (upper-right corner). Then use the bookmark (through the Annotations menu, selecting the menu for the bookmark, then selecting Show on Page). At this point, the bookmarked page is shown, but the upper menu bar is displayed, and won't go away until you open up the lower menu bar, then do the normal tap on screen to make both menu bars disappear. During the time that the upper menu bar is erronously displayed, the page turns function normally, except that the upper menu bar hides the top line of text.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Series support

The following is largely what I posted in another thread, but it really belongs here.

In FW2.2.0, Kobo added support for series. The database on the device now has fields for the series and series number. This is displayed on a separate line the library lists. So, there are three lines for each book that look like:

Authors Name
Book Title
Series name - index

Searching will find the series name. Sorting puts the series name and index at the start of the title.

Unfortunately, there is no way to get a list of series. I would like to see a list like the shelves list that showed all series plus the number of books in them.

The other thing missing is a way to get the series info for sideloaded books. The epub standard does not include this information (unless it is in V3), so there is no standard way to get it to the device.

Some of the books from Kobo have series information. To see how it is handled, get a preview and look at the preview list. "A Game of Thrones" has it. Unfortunately, that still has the series info in the book title as well. I have seen some others, but I can't find them right now.

The calibre driver doesn't support this yet. I'm doing some experiments to work out how to do it without killing the performance.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
A couple new bugs with the Glo 2.2.1:

1. When the page menu is opened then closed, (with midle tap), or when a book is first opened from the Home screen, the fonts are rendered without the customized weight. The text gets approprietely darkened (as is my preference) when the page is turned, however.

2. More seriously, the Kobo will not go into sleep mode from the power switch. (Was this update really released/pushed on the Japanese units? or are we looking at a beta?)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Standard comment here.... until the update is offered to you by either Kobo Desktop or WiFi, it's not intended for you.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Bit of a D'oh moment,, I did not think to delete my database (to create a new one.), which might explain my 'sleep' problems if the database format needs to be changed.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The format gets changed automatically during the upgrade.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
murg
No Comment

Running 2.2.0 on Touch, I just had it freeze on me.

Doing normal reading, as I have been for hours. Did a forward page tap. Page did not go forward, a word above where I tapped is dictionary underlined (no thumbs), the bottom dictionary menu is displayed (pencil, dictionary, mag glass, facebook on the left, x on the right. No tapping will unfreeze the screen.

Home button worked correctly, in that it bookmarked the page and went to the home screen. But the screen is still frozen.

Putting it into sleep mode with the power switch worked. Woke it up again using the power switch, screen still unresponsive.

Powered off using the power switch. Powered back on. Back to normal, the screen works again.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #9
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
A couple new bugs with the Glo 2.2.1:
2. More seriously, the Kobo will not go into sleep mode from the power switch. (Was this update really released/pushed on the Japanese units? or are we looking at a beta?)
At this point, I honestly couldn't tell you. I'm pretty sure that 2.2.0 is an official release. And the 2.2.1 release is coming from a non-beta direct link.

But I'm not completely sure that 2.2.1 is a non-beta. I do know that a version with that number was released to the beta group.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #10
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is a minor update, they should have called it 2.1.6
A 2.2x sounded more like a major update. But what do I know about update naming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Kobo has released 2.2.0 (Touch) and 2.2.1 (Glo) for Japan. Not sure which version the Mini gets.

Changes:
1. Benefit from improved title displays
2. Sync your library to a microSD card if your device is full
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #11
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
This is a minor update, they should have called it 2.1.6
A 2.2x sounded more like a major update. But what do I know about update naming.
Maybe if you only look at the release notes, but adding series handling is more than a minor change to some...

I can hardly wait to see it working fully on both kepubs and epubs!

Last edited by frankieGom; 11-20-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
For side loaded epubs...

Is the book/chapter progress shown on the page menu?

Has Avenir Italics been fixed?

Is there any UI on the device for editing series info?

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Running 2.2.0 on Touch, I just had it freeze on me.

Doing normal reading, as I have been for hours. Did a forward page tap. Page did not go forward, a word above where I tapped is dictionary underlined (no thumbs), the bottom dictionary menu is displayed (pencil, dictionary, mag glass, facebook on the left, x on the right. No tapping will unfreeze the screen.

Home button worked correctly, in that it bookmarked the page and went to the home screen. But the screen is still frozen.

Putting it into sleep mode with the power switch worked. Woke it up again using the power switch, screen still unresponsive.

Powered off using the power switch. Powered back on. Back to normal, the screen works again.
That is an issue I have seen many times; on many different firmware levels. I surmise that for some reason, the unit stops reading the input from the screen, and the only way to resolve it is to do what you did and power the unit off and back on.

Admittedly I have seen it a lot less of late than I used to,
Old 11-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I've seen that page-frozen-with-dictionary-underline bug occasionally too, but thankfully it's pretty rare. Probably a glitch with the touch screen as PeterT says. Powering off is the only way I know to fix it.

I've decided that my pet peeve with the KT is the inability to go to a specific page number in the book. The slider is much too insensitive - it can barely position to within 20 pages with the most careful manipulation, and then it can take up 60 page turns to get to the right page (at 3 KT pages per book page for some books). Have I missed some obscure means to do this added in some firmware update?
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
The slider is much too insensitive...
I don't disagree, but if you roll your fingertip on the slider instead of dragging it, you can usually get within three pages or so of the desired page.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote