Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
HeatherM
HeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notes

Device: cybook gen3
Barriers to open sale of ebooks

I would like to purchase Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series in either a non DRM mobi or non DRM pdf ebook format for my Cybook Gen 3.

As a UK resident with a UK-based credit card postcode I have been blocked from purchasing ebooks from BooksonBoard.com (because I'm outside the US region) & as a non kindle user I cannot buy these ebooks from amazon.co.uk as they are not readable on my cybook.

I've searched every website I can with no luck.

I have emailed Titanbooks (who publish Campbell's hard copy books in the UK) to ask them if there is any other ebook company they may have contracted with apart from amazon but they have not responded yet. I have also emailed the sister site to BooksonBoard.com, their .co.uk site, to ask when the Lost Fleet series will be available in non DRM format in the UK but they do not know the answer to this (they did, however, say they'd pass on my request to their sales people).

Does anyone please have any ideas - so far I'm relying on my local library but these books are so good I'd really like to own them?
HeatherM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
as a non kindle user I cannot buy these ebooks from amazon.co.uk as they are not readable on my cybook.
Get Calibre and google Apprentice Alf.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Your situation is a textbook example of the ridiculous situation that currently exists. Your options are to wait until someone gets around to making the books available in a non-drm format, to buy a version with DRM, strip the DRM and convert to the format you want, or simply download pirate versions. The first is of course the only option that is definitely legally and morally acceptable. The third is legally and morally wrong. The second is legally wrong in some countries, legally okay in others and morally ambiguous, depending on how you want to argue. In talking morally, it is on the basis that two wrongs do not make a right, that is that no matter how reprehensible the behaviour of the publishers etc, it does not justify you behaving immorally in return.

I of course cannot recommend the third option. I do recommend the second if it can be done legally in your country.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
HeatherM
HeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notesHeatherM can name that song in three notes

Hi, I tried to download a book from amazon.co.uk and was going to following your advice to use Apprentice Alf + Calibre to convert but must be doing something weird, because although I was able to download the kindle desk top icon for PC and could read the free book that accompanied that process, I was blocked on the sales site from buying a book because I could not register a kindle device. Am I doing something daft - I recall reading in the amazon site that you don't have to have a kindle to read their ebooks on your PC but their registration process seems to negate this... I can see why people simply resort to pirate sites out of sheer frustration! Perhaps if I waved my cash at Amazon they'd be more flexible about selling to people who are willing to pay.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You don't need to register a Kindle device - you just need to register "Kindle for PC". ie log in to your Amazon account from Kindle for PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherM View Post
Hi, I tried to download a book from amazon.co.uk and was going to following your advice to use Apprentice Alf + Calibre to convert but must be doing something weird, because although I was able to download the kindle desk top icon for PC and could read the free book that accompanied that process, I was blocked on the sales site from buying a book because I could not register a kindle device. Am I doing something daft - I recall reading in the amazon site that you don't have to have a kindle to read their ebooks on your PC but their registration process seems to negate this... I can see why people simply resort to pirate sites out of sheer frustration! Perhaps if I waved my cash at Amazon they'd be more flexible about selling to people who are willing to pay.

Oh please - first of all Amazon is not withholding books from you on some corporate whim. If they can't sell it legally, they can't sell it. That's life.
And since when is frustration induced by digital non-availability of a commodity a license to steal?
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
Oh please - first of all Amazon is not withholding books from you on some corporate whim. If they can't sell it legally, they can't sell it. That's life.
And since when is frustration induced by digital non-availability of a commodity a license to steal?
Heather's post makes it abundantly clear that Amazon can sell it to her legally. Her complaint was that she erroneously thought Amazon would not sell to her unless she owned a Kindle. Harry, in a constructive post, pointed out that she was not correct and advised her what she should do to solve her problem.

It appears to me that Heather's comment about pirate sites meant no more than it said (ie; that she could understand why people resort to piracy). I can understand in some cases why people commit murders or beatings or other crimes. That does not mean that I approve or condone them. In fact, very much the opposite. It means simply that I understand that we are all human and do not always do the right thing. Understanding why is the first step towards improving things in the future. Robin Hood was still a thief, whatever he chose to do with his ill-gotten gains. Come to think of it, not a bad analogy to book pirates when you look at the reprehensible and plain stupid conduct of the industry.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
HeatherM

Harry, thanks for your constructive reply. I will try this again. Darryl, thanks for interpreting my post as intended. It's re-assuring to know that I can ask for, and receive help when I need it.
Best regards, Heather
Old 04-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
HeatherM

Hi, your advise was spot-on!

I registered on Amazon via 'Kindle for PC'. I then followed Apprentice Alf's advice and discarded my old 'calibre' off my PC before downloading the most recent version of calibre on-line. I then downloaded the latest 'DRM tools package' and unzipped it as instructed to activate @ of the 5 plug-ins. Converting DRM-mobi ebooks thru' calibre into non DRM mobi strictly for my own use is now possible - a small salve to my conscious is that amazon is getting paid for this book. I am most grateful for for your help!

Regards, Heather
Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a Nook Color and I buy books from many sources. I refuse to be tied to one companies format.
Apache
Old 04-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Great! Happy to hear that it worked.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #12
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Calibre probably deserving of the Nobel Prize For Literature.

Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post

sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post

+2
Apache